Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Ski Chile 2016

Today in the south:

Chillan has a meager base at the bottom, their website says 70cm bottom and 95cm top, "wet hard" snow, but their webcam looks worse at least at the base:

Name:  Cámaras de Nevados de Chillán   Nevados de Chillán 1 09.jpeg
Views: 688
Size:  116.8 KB

The volcano activity has left the cone dirty, and they still recommend getting off the Mirador chair at tower 8 due to the 3km radius no-go zone.

Name:  Nevados de Chillan   Sernageomin 1 09.jpeg
Views: 655
Size:  27.8 KB

If anyone has an update from Chillan, it would be appreciated.

Corralco claims 176cm "accumulated at the base", but I am not sure what that means, it doesn´t look like the current packed base at the bottom, conditions "wind affected powder, ice on upper mountain". Their photos from yesterday appear to me to have a good base on the upper mountain, but not so much at the bottom:

Name:  corralco 1 09.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  94.8 KB

Llaima (from the east) also looks good on the upper half, but little nearer the bottom. Las Araucarias ski area cannot be reached (http://www.sernageomin.cl/rnvv/v-llaima.php):

Name:  Complejo volcánico Llaima   Sernageomin 1 09.jpeg
Views: 666
Size:  22.1 KB

Pucon/Villarrica claims "more than a meter" at the cafeteria level, but the main chairlift (#5, the highest and steepest) "is not in condition to be opened" which basically converts the area into a beginners playground. The volcano itself does look nice for a ski up though (http://www.sernageomin.cl/rnvv/v-llaima.php):

Name:  Volcán Villarrica   Sernageomin 1 09.jpeg
Views: 765
Size:  19.2 KB

Antillanca reports 25cm at the base, 115cm mid, 235cm top, and yesterday was "the best day of the season", posting this pano:

Name:  antillanca 1 09.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  31.6 KB

Seems the tonica is high snow line, but above that, a good base. I will be in the Pucon area for the next 2 weeks or so, and if I have anything to say, it will posted here!

Chillan was basically a sheet of ice. I wouldn't recommend going at all. All I did was wear down edges hoping to not break a wrist if I fell. The mountain doesn't face the sun so it didn't even soften up by 2pm. Strongly considering a flight to Patagonia tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by GodSpeed View Post
    Chillan was basically a sheet of ice. I wouldn't recommend going at all. All I did was wear down edges hoping to not break a wrist if I fell. The mountain doesn't face the sun so it didn't even soften up by 2pm. Strongly considering a flight to Patagonia tomorrow.
    Where in Patagonia would you go?

How about Portillo for good access to multiple aspects?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

If Patagonia is for the snow, the precipitation deficit is 70% in the Coyhaique area, and 40% in Punta Arenas. Not far from the 50% in Chillan.

Ski Chile 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post

How about Portillo for good access to multiple aspects?
    My $.02 - I don't know conditions but

Go to Portillo and/or El Colorado: Valle Nevado if you want lift served maybe with hiking as an add on

Otherwise take a drive or flight to the south and visit some Volcanos and plan on ski touring to the summits or at least as high as conditions are good (can be nasty rime up high). Villa rica , Llaima , Lonquimay, Antillanca/casa blanca stand out. It's an experience not at all like North American or Euro resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by smitchell333 View Post
    My $.02 - I don't know conditions but

Go to Portillo and/or El Colorado: Valle Nevado if you want lift served maybe with hiking as an add on

Otherwise take a drive or flight to the south and visit some Volcanos and plan on ski touring to the summits or at least as high as conditions are good (can be nasty rime up high). Villa rica , Llaima , Lonquimay, Antillanca/casa blanca stand out. It's an experience not at all like North American or Euro resorts.
    Indeed... I"m struggling on the conditions front because it seems like low snow everywhere, but Portillo is higher... but then you run into the refrozen problem.

Where the hell is sage skiing then? He posted some ig pics today looked damned fine. Had to work for it but...

Indeed... I"m struggling on the conditions front because it seems like low snow everywhere, but Portillo is higher... but then you run into the refrozen problem.
    Yeah hard decisions in the absence of obvious powder forecast.

I went the 1st time to Chile in a total drought year. Andes resorts not even open so we were forced to go south to the Volcanoes - had a blast camping and summiting volcanoes and hitting hot springs. Sometimes corn, sometimes powder, sometimes ice. If you go south look like at like CO in late May or June - not much for lift served - but touring.

But Portillo could be cool too . If some pow comes, great, but otherwise hunt out the best aspects for corn. Some cool BC thereabouts too.

Snowed a bit in Portillo Wednesday but mostly it blew, hard. Upper lifts didn't run. I expected today to be blue ice but was pleasantly surprised. Pockets of blower could be found. Today was cold. I expect it will warm and the corn cycle will resume. It isn't perfect but I've been here when it was way worse. There is a base. There's good terrain still to ski.

it's not in chile but Bariloche area has enough base to do all the normal stuff, it's not exceptional but fine. snow quality was v good the last couple of days. most people consider brc northern patagonia, at least those that don't live further south in true patagonia
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Fly from Santiago to Puerto Montt.... drive to Bariloche...

Fly from Santiago to Puerto Montt.... drive to Bariloche...
    Osorno is closer if there are still flights

Quote Originally Posted by smitchell333 View Post
    Osorno is closer if there are still flights
    Bus to Osorno is probably almost just as fast as trying to fly from Chillan, more frequent and cheaper. You should stop by Antillanca on the way over to Bariloche and do V Casablanca if you can. Snowbrains has recent conditions updates from Bariloche.

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    it's not in chile but Bariloche area has enough base to do all the normal stuff, it's not exceptional but fine. snow quality was v good the last couple of days. most people consider brc northern patagonia, at least those that don't live further south in true patagonia
    This was the plan till we decided against trusting south american snow reports, haha. It was going to be $2000USD all in for each of us to fly and stay there so we decided to just fly home early. Sad but true.

I was really hoping to beat my top speed (60mph) on the steep slopes here, but not on this ice. That's a death wish.

If you're in Chillan, eat at Olivas. It's the only good food we found. Everything else ranged from mediocre to low mediocre.

If you're in Chillan, eat at Olivas. It's the only good food we found. Everything else ranged from mediocre to low mediocre.
    I don't have anything truly constructive to add to this because I came back north weeks ago, but this is spot on. The food in Chillan is not great. Although the market in Chillan proper is an experience worth having.

Chillan is done. Rained Tuesday and froze solid Wednesday. The cat tracks would thaw to skiable cream after 2pm. Beneath and skiers left of Otto was completely cerrado due to the sheet of ice that never came close to softening. Then the volcano decided to burp and cover the open runs in a nice layer of ash. Made for interesting white S turns in gray snow. They planned to try and scrape the ash with the snow cats and then the sucker blew again (and again last night and this AM).

Food was good though

Portillo was mostly closed due to wind most of the day and quite frozen

Hey Casey E and co. I am headed to Chile Oct 12 to Nov 2. Was thinking of heading south to the volcanoes as soon as I arrive. Should I still find decent skiing then? What about at Refugio Frey. Was thinking Frey since then we could climb some nice spires if the skiing was out. Opinion for that time of year? Thanks.

Bad all over it looks like. Rip-snorting Puelche winds in the Araucania (flowing east to west), closing what is left of he Villarrica ski area, and causing the plume of smoke to blow down the southwest face, looking something like an avalanche. Good for kites....

Quote Originally Posted by papatroller View Post
    Hey Casey E and co. I am headed to Chile Oct 12 to Nov 2. Was thinking of heading south to the volcanoes as soon as I arrive. Should I still find decent skiing then? What about at Refugio Frey. Was thinking Frey since then we could climb some nice spires if the skiing was out. Opinion for that time of year? Thanks.
    Its looking like we won't have a late spring like last year, with good snow well into October. But the volcanoes should stlll have reasonable snow above say 1,800m, just come prepared for longer approaches and ice on the top. If you like climbing, check out the Cochamo Valley near Puerto Varas, the "Chilean Yosemite". http://www.cochamo.com/climbing/

Dangers of skiing in Chile...

Sharing air time with a Condor- El Mercurio newspaper published this photo today, from yesterdays freestyle event in El Colorado:

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 601
Size:  100.2 KB

Hiking and skiing in an "unauthorized" area on a day when guided tours were not allowed to summit Volcan Villarrica - a young Frenchman fell in a quebrada (loosely a couloir) at 2,200m, and died. His father was seriously injured and evacuated in a heli, while the other was ok, and had to inform the mother in the ski area cafeteria. Apparently, as we opted not to go near the volcano due to the strong Puelche winds, the snow in the area had been converted to "steel" or "glass", as the rescuers described it. A sad day in Pucon.

Que triste!

En portillo finally mashed potatoes this afternoon. Way better than Refrozen Scheißeschnee... Hielo de caca?

Saw this line just west of portillo, anyone have the beta on it? Looks skiable with a littlebit more snowfall

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	portillo line.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	187436

Just found out I will be down in Bariloche for work around October 10th. Seriously thinking about adding on a couple of days and bringing the touring setup, even though conditions don't sound promising. I don't mind a good slog and have plenty of ski mountaineering experience on Colorado peaks and Oregon volcanoes. I'll be doing a ton of research, but mainly want to know if any mags would happen to be in the area next month. My travel partner is not a skier and I always enjoy meeting folks over some turns, so just wanted to put it out there. I'll be done with the work portion on October 16th, so ideally within a few days of that. I am already utilizing the search function, but any sage advice is always welcome. Thanks and peace!

Bariloche stuff (like frey etc for example) is often still quite good in oct. this year it's thin but who knows, you might get lucky with some late snowfalls. volcanos would work even with the current base probably. easy to do a couple of days in chile with a rental car. being okay with some slogging is a big plus and significantly increases your chances of having a good time.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.