Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Shipping a bike

Bikeflights.com backs up there end of the deal for sure but UPS is currently double surcharging oversized packages and bikeflights is passing this charge along, no fault to them. Currently Shipbikes.com is 40-60 cheaper for a complete bike. For frames/wheels etc. its close enough I use bikeflights. Insurance... we all know where we stand.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Just Bumping this up as i've found a S-Works Steel mountain bike in the states that i'd love to ship to Canada. Bikeflights was quoting over $425??! UPS was similar. Anyone have any tips or ideas? Thanks!
    And still loving the Ti 29 shipped by the OP

Holy shit, that was me! Glad your liking it!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by alive View Post
    Just Bumping this up as i've found a S-Works Steel mountain bike in the states that i'd love to ship to Canada. Bikeflights was quoting over $425??! UPS was similar. Anyone have any tips or ideas? Thanks!
    My guess is, your best bet is to find a maggot near the bike for sale who periodically crosses into Canadia and is willing to do A TON of legwork for you.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Yea, changed a few parts, but still going strong!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4090.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	365816

That would be great, Jm, but since the boarder is still closed, not too many people going back-and-forth. Normally I would just ship it to the border and go across and pick it up, just doesn’t sound like an option for quite a while yet

This is hard to remedy as a buyer, but what size is the sellers box? I haven't dealt with US/CA bike shipping, but domestically there's a tipping point for some shipping companies for girth measurements that can suddenly lead to a crazy price.

In the unlikely event that the seller would be able to acquire a smaller box and rebox it, it could potentially drop the price. See if they can send you current dimensions and then try trimming those numbers down with BikeFlights

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4090.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	365816
    That's a beautiful paddle. I love seeing the look of shock on friends' faces when they pick up my 8oz ZRE.

Bikes flights price at least should include duties. It's expensive but still might be your best way.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Shipping a bike without wheels makes things quite a bit smaller. Just sayin'.
    ShipBikes is also another option that's often cheaper than BikeFlights.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Shipping a bike without wheels makes things quite a bit smaller. Just sayin'.
    ShipBikes is also another option that's often cheaper than BikeFlights.
    Can confirm- just priced out shipping for a bike: was $123 with bike flights, shipbikes was $79

Neither BF nor Shipbikes quote duties!! I just shipped a road bike to Canada and the ask of the buyer was to quote the price at less than $1K CAD to avoid duties. Note this is risky if a claim is made with the shipper due to damage or lost item (the bike was worth around $3K). Included wheels, but the package was small as others have said. I crammed that shit in there. FedEx from New York State to Vancouver at 25lbs was $150. We split the cost and he was on the hook for any duties if they popped up.