Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    I have no doubt whatsoever this is good life-changing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    No doubt. Full retard.

Sent from my SM-G930T using TGR Forums mobile app
    Last edited by charles martel; 11-11-2017 at 07:19 AM.
    George Carlin, “The planet is fine. The people are fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    That was tough to read. He's right about the anxiety, depression, hormone balance, adipose tissue, adrenaline, and a lot of physiological claims, but he needs to lay off the curing MS & Cancer bs.

FWIW, I'm still breathing everyday and still love cold water two years on. I haven't gotten sick in that time either. All in all, I just like how it makes me feel. I genuinely miss cold water when the tap temperature rises above 15C.

I strongly believe there is no real evidence for any of this and it's a load of crap.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    I strongly believe there is no real evidence for any of this and it's a load of crap.
    Ditto. Show me a clinical study that demonstrates its efficacy and I'll buy it. Until then it's snake oil.

edit: after posting this I did some research and it certainly seems like there is some evidence to support that it does seem to have some validity. So my bad.
    Last edited by The AD; 11-14-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    but he needs to lay off the curing MS & Cancer bs.
    There's that, but mostly I found the idea that recruiting a handful of over-the-hill celebrities will lead to mass adoption of the method to be truly bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    All in all, I just like how it makes me feel. I genuinely miss cold water when the tap temperature rises above 15C.
    Agreed. During and after a breathing session and/or cold shower you feel fucking amazing. I'm also on a bit of a mission to make my life my workout and cold exposure dovetails with that goal perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    This link that gaijin posted on the previous page is excellent (and written by a PhD): https://www.foundmyfitness.com/reports/cold-stress.pdf

Scott Carney's interview on the Art of Manliness podcast (also posted previously) is worth a listen: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2017/0...cold-exposure/

Carney is an investigative journalist who took Wim's class with every intention of exposing the guy as a charlatan (he says that explicitly). He ended up climbing Kilimanjaro with the guy (in 24 hours, without acclimatizing and without developing altitude sickness). Here's Carney's bio:

Investigative journalist and anthropologist Scott Carney (scottcarney.com) has worked in some of the most dangerous and unlikely corners of the world. His work blends narrative non-fiction with ethnography. Currently, he is a senior fellow at the Schuster Institute for Investigative Journalism and a 2016-17 Scripps Fellow at the Center for Environmental Journalism in Boulder, Colorado. What Doesn’t Kill Us, his most recent book, is a New York Times bestseller; other works include The Red Market and A Death on Diamond Mountain. Carney was a contributing editor at Wired for five years and his writing also appears in Mother Jones, Men’s Journal, Playboy, Foreign Policy, Discover, Outside and Fast Company. His work has been the subject of a variety of radio and television programs, including on NPR and National Geographic TV. In 2015 he founded WordRates, a website that aims to add transparency to the business of journalism with Yelp-esque reviews of magazines and editors. In 2010, he won the Payne Award for Ethics in Journalism for his story “Meet the Parents,” which tracked an international kidnapping-to-adoption ring. Carney has spent extensive time in South Asia and speaks Hindi. He attended Kenyon College and has a masters degree in anthropology from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He currently lives in Denver, CO

To be clear, I am all about skepticism in this age of rampant bullshit and misinformation. However, there is abundant scientific evidence that pretty much anything that challenges homeostasis (cold, heat, exercise) is good for you. Cold exposure happens to be safer than exposure to extreme heat, has practical benefits for those of us who live in temperate climates and participate in winter sports, and we all shower every day anyways (hopefully!). Focused breathing and mindfulness meditation have well documented physiological and psychological benefits. They are cornerstones of yoga practice.

Yes, cold is uncomfortable (at first). So is exercise, but that doesn't make it a legit excuse to not exercise. If someone said to you that they don't exercise "Because it's uncomfortable/makes my lungs burn/makes my muscles sore/I'd rather watch Dancing With The Stars" you'd look at them with derision. Replacing "exercise" with "cold" in that statement doesn't magically transform it.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 11-15-2017 at 03:30 PM.