Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    I guess if I'm gonna complain I should provide some alternatives. This was not a slam on 4FRNT....I'ved owned 2013 and 2015 Renegades, 2013 and 2014 Hojis, 2016 Kye 110s, 2015 and 2016 Devs, 2019 Inthaynes, 2018 and 2019 MSP 99s....for whatever reason I've sold all my 4FRNTs (Inthaynes and Rens went to my sons). My 10 year old daughter is still on pink 4FRNT Blondies and 4FRNT Coyotes. And my wife has some 2019 179cm 4FRNT Hoji Ws.

Favs that I owned re graphics were probably the 2016 Kye 110s and 2013 Pilsner Hojis (see below).

I don't mind the new MSP graphics. Or the Rens, Hojis and Ravens of the last 2 years.

My thoughts for the Dev for next year...

Thinking is that the Dev is a sort of bad ass ski....so make it understated?...eg like a Cochise or Faction CT 5.0.
    Plain graphics would work better than this year's graphics, which are just too kid-like....eg the Devastator Jr?

Or just bring back the 2013 Pilsner graphic we all want....
    Hell ya! Thanks for the feedback. TBH we've worked so hard to get away from the plain graphics that you see on 95% of the rest of the industry because we're sick of everything looking the same. We can put whatever we want on these sticks now because everything doesn't have to look exactly the same like it does in a shop. But, here is the downfall of graphic focused skis, much easier to not like when skis are totally different; like we see with you and Devastator this year. This is the gamble. Hopefully next years will be more your style!

Pilsner graphic.....stay tuned is all I can say

I don't have a horse in this race but I personally would never buy or choose not to buy a ski based on the topsheet.

I get that this is probably not the norm in the industry but I'm way more concerned about how a ski performs than anything else.

Hell... this thread is based on the Rossi Sickle... which I loved but it looked like a horrible couch from the 80s. So ugly but such a good ski I didn't care.

My goggles don't go with my helmet either... I'm a freaking mess!

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I don't have a horse in this race but I personally would never buy or choose not to buy a ski based on the topsheet.

I get that this is probably not the norm in the industry but I'm way more concerned about how a ski performs than anything else.

Hell... this thread is based on the Rossi Sickle... which I loved but it looked like a horrible couch from the 80s. So ugly but such a good ski I didn't care.

My goggles don't go with my helmet either... I'm a freaking mess!

I think in reality there is enough uncertainty in most ski purchase decisions that getting down to a short list of skis and choosing your favorite top sheet is not obviously dumber than other approaches.

Plus, and I know I’m guilty of this, there is a bit of fetishization for cool top sheets on the Moment/ON3P/Praxis semi-customs.

To be fair, the Devastator is/was a unique enough ski I’m not exactly sure what else is on the short list my hypothetical consumer is coin flipping between by choosing their favorite graphic.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbIdeasOnly View Post
    I think in reality there is enough uncertainty in most ski purchase decisions that getting down to a short list of skis and choosing your favorite top sheet is not obviously dumber than other approaches.

Plus, and I know I’m guilty of this, there is a bit of fetishization for cool top sheets on the Moment/ON3P/Praxis semi-customs.

To be fair, the Devastator is/was a unique enough ski I’m not exactly sure what else is on the short list my hypothetical consumer is coin flipping between by choosing their favorite graphic.
    Name checks out
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

For what it’s worth, I like the art on the Dev’s. Assume it is a Watchmen reference and would look good with my orange jacket. Would be fun for my kids to look at on the chairlift. I’m interested to see Blister’s review later this year and comparisons to the handful of other skis I’m thinking about buying. I’m not making decisions on top sheets alone but worth pointing out that it is one factor in evaluating some fairly similar looking skis. Also still thinking about weight, length, and stiffness differences but:
    Devastators: love the topsheet, worry it is too light, too short; unsure about reverse camber
    Wildcat 108: Was likely to buy this year but hate the topsheets. Wish I had bought last year.
    Woodsman 108: top sheet is fine but boring
    J Skis Hotshot: love the topsheets, waiting for Blister review. Worry it will be too soft, but intrigued by the heavy weight.

Sure sounds like you are making your decision based on the top sheets...

Fwiw, I like the new dev topsheets too, and especially the bases. Cant abide by that weight though - a ski called the devastator cant be a lightweight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New design with the old weight would be more ideal.

I understand lightening up the ski to appeal to a larger market and since the company is based on the east coast I feel like the skis have gradually been shifting to be more suitable there with lighter weight and smaller turn radii to suit the slower speeds and tighter terrain.

But unless you came up with some kind of new material no one else has your 2000 gram ski won’t ski like the old ones, I don’t care what your marketing copy says.

Also the new top sheet is like the old vcts which were rad.

Quote Originally Posted by madriverfreeride View Post
    New design with the old weight would be more ideal.

I understand lightening up the ski to appeal to a larger market and since the company is based on the east coast I feel like the skis have gradually been shifting to be more suitable there with lighter weight and smaller turn radii to suit the slower speeds and tighter terrain.

But unless you came up with some kind of new material no one else has your 2000 gram ski won’t ski like the old ones, I don’t care what your marketing copy says.
    The move from SLC to the east coast has made me worried about the future of the brand since day one. At least 4frnt is lurking this forum and they still have the white room in SLC.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Was there a 194 dev that was the same design just a little lighter built in last years lineup? Could be a cool ski. Feels like they should have changed the name for this iteration.

Yes, I think so - the topsheet with the viking ship. Dont recall what the weight was, maybe 2250ish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For some reason I missed that the 20/21 Devastator got a thorough redesign.

I think the rocker profile looks sweet... wasn't the common complaint on the older versions that they were unstable on firm?

When I realized how much I liked the sickle I tried another full rocker ski... narrower waist, G3 infadel... and it was squirrelly because it had too much rocker and not enough flat spot.

I get why people who liked the original would not like the new weight but I'm not aging well and I'm ok with the weight too.

Kind of want it in a 179 but even if I could convince myself to buy new skis I don't need, they're sold out online.

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I’m really waiting for someone to review the new redesign. Blister has a quick look but it’s for subscribers only.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I’ve got an old, heavier version of the 184 Devastator that ended up back in my garage for sale. Drilled twice but otherwise is in good shape, happy to make the price maggot friendly for anyone interested (PM me).

I skied my old Sickle earlier in the month, still impressed by it. It doesn’t have the nuanced taper or rocker profile of most skis in the all-mountain freestyle category these days. And it’s much heavier than most of today’s offerings. But it still is a very versatile ski, a ski that can be skied forward or neutral, carves and floats, and has excellent damping.

Since leaving Alta as my home mountain, I’ve gravitated towards narrower skis than the Sickle as my DD. Over the 2016-19 seasons, I skied the Scimitar a ton at PC. Basically a Sickle on a 12mm diet: 128/98/118. It had the exact same planted yet fun feel, with great damping.

But it delaminated for the third time early this season so I put it down. Post mortem autopsy today revealed it has a ton of VDS rubber. Looks like a 1.5 cm center longitudinal strip from tip to tail, 6mm strips along each edge from tip to tail, and wall-to-wall rubber inserts in the tip and tail over the last 10-11cm of the ski at both ends.

Anyone know if this application of rubber is common in other skis? I own the the Black Ops 118, and even though I don’t have many days on it, the ski feel/damping is so similar I wonder if it utilizes the same strategy for rubber placement...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9C18EDBB-56D0-4C91-A691-3E9E73CE37C1.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	716.3 KB 
ID:	358572

so what out there replaces my Dev 194 when it dies?
    they've become my go-to resort ski.

*size discontinued.

Not a true subtle reverse camber ski, but how about the J Skis Hotshot 189? I bet it crushes variable like the 194 Dev and if you mount it around -5cm from TC I’m guessing it would feel similar. Weight and dimensions are close, and both sound like they have excellent damping.

If you are feeling spendy and want subtle reverse camber: the Folsom Primary 104 in the heaviest build, longest length, and stiffest layup?

If you are ok with lighter and a little camber, the longer lengths of the Faction CT 3.0?

Or wait for the Rossignol Black Ops 109 and hope they make a long length?

The hotshot is absolutely not a devastator. It has a short turn radius and does not slarve big turns like the dev unfortunately. The construction and weight is awesome, but the shape isn’t really TGR friendly in my opinion. Too bad really.

The new CT 3.0 feels somewhat related, it has good weight and a similar stance, but doesn’t have the same frictionless magic of the dev.

Folsom primary might work just don’t make it too stiff, folsom has a very different feel than 4frnt too.

It’s sad that all the big skis are dying, I’m just gonna out my money where my mouth is and buy the ones I can get for now.

Is the 4FRNT Devastator the new and improved Rossignol Sickle?

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    *size discontinued.
    I know I’m just teasin.’ The 194 sells for bacon plus shipping here on GS. I think I sold mine that had two mounts / 2 decent ptex repairs for ~$60 after shipping cost iirc.

I replaced them with the 193 MVP and now the 187 MVP, FWIW. They do not ski all that similarly but I had same intentions/ conditions in mind for the skis and I think I could have got along with either one with the right sizing. I moved away from Rens and Devs because I felt like I was in between the sizing on the models I liked (but I’ll definitely try out an old 186 white room Ren or maybe even the new 191 at some point). What I miss about the Dev is how it can slarve in and out of carves fairly effortlessly, and the 194 was a steamroller. The MVPs don’t carve as well but are surfier, poppier and a good deal more fun in powder for my tastes. They’re stupid fun on a typical New England powder day.

I think this is the closest thing we have to a Devastator thread...

Anyone been spending time on the latest generation devastator (21/22, 22/23) this season? Judging by the scarcity of these on the used market, I'm guessing people are getting along with them pretty well... Anyone??

I picked up a pair of 179s new in February. I thought they would be a little short but I like them in that length. I also have the 19-20 in 184 and I like them a lot. The 22-23s are a whole lot of fun in soft snow, trees, and just charging around. There is a reason you don't often see them for sale.

I wanted to buy them last year, but the 186 sold out pretty quickly. I ended up pIcking up some Switch's but have found them very 1 dimensional (basically a park ski, IMO). This year I may add Dev's or a Hoji into the mix with Cast.

My daily right now is the 183 Hotshot. It's a darned good ski for near all conditions I've thrown at it, but it wants a more traditional stance IMO. I'd like to try a flat/rev ski, but I'm a bit worried about the new Dev's weight. I'm also looking at the Heritage Labs FR110. Kinda looks like an update on the old Dev.

We'll see. I have a few months to ponder.

Heritage Labs FR110 looks pretty sweet for this kind of ski.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Heritage Labs FR110 looks pretty sweet for this kind of ski.
    That it does! I think the FR110 will be a suitable replacement for the heavy 184 devastator. I'm interested in putting a touring binding on the new dev. The shape/reverse camber profile work very well in NW snow pack.