Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 86
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    48
    Iím also curious if anyone has gotten time on the new devs. The new specs came out today, on paper they look close to a metal-less msp 107. The devs mount point is .5cm back from msp and the effective edge is 4cm less for the 186 vs 187 msp.
    Iím wondering if the new devs ski like just another rocker camber rocker, tapered ski or if they maintained some unique qualities.
    Im loving the new graphics of the devs for sure though.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    48
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3950.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	953.1 KB 
ID:	336409


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NWCT
    Posts
    2,092
    Devs are one of my favorite skis, but imo the reverse camber is what makes them so good. Will reserve judgment for a bit, but giving them camber seems meh to me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    280
    I chatted w someone on their site and was told they are in fact still fully rockered. So either the side profile pic is wrong or this person doesnít know what they are talking about.

    I would be disappointed if they gave it camber. Nice to have fully rockered options out there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,497

    Is the 4FRNT Devastator the new and improved Rossignol Sickle?

    Curious if anyone can a/b the old 194 with the new, lighter 194. Wondering if skis like a ~188-190 cm old Dev a bunch of us wished for

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Curious if anyone can a/b the old 194 with the new, lighter 194. Wondering if skis like a ~188-190 cm old Dev a bunch of us wished for
    I rocked/rock the 194 Devs and just checked the site and the longest Dev I saw was 186... I know 194 is big boy size but would have at least expected 189... So many great skis out there...


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    280
    Yup, they have completely tossed the 194. I wonder if they just didnít sell enough of the big boy size to make it worth it.

    The 186 seems to be a comparable weight to the older 184 from a few yrs ago (2250ish), which I like. I think last yearís 184 was down to 2000, which was far too light for that ski.

    Assuming it is still fully rockered (big assumption) - what do you guys think about adding more taper? Seems to me that adding taper to a fully rockered ski seems unnecessary for turn initiation, but I guess it lowers swing weight? I think Iíd rather have the longer effective edge than a lower swing weight though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Chamonix
    Posts
    947
    Quote Originally Posted by waxloaf View Post
    what do you guys think about adding more taper? Seems to me that adding taper to a fully rockered ski seems unnecessary for turn initiation, but I guess it lowers swing weight? I think I’d rather have the longer effective edge than a lower swing weight though.
    No, no, no. No taper is part of the reason I love the old Devastator. That and its weight let it cut through chop like few others out there.

    Bummer on no long lengths any more, and the lighter weight.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    806
    I read on insta that they only sold like 5 pairs of the 194 at full price so thats probably why it got cut.
    Sucks because that was a really special ski.

    New ski is flat camber with rocker tip and tail

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,497
    Wow, 5 pairs sold, and that was after they went on the diet.

    The ~2600g 194 Dev is such a fun DD for spacious resorts with a maritime snowpack. It can break in and out of carves/slarves better than any other ski Iíve used.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    280
    Fyi - they seem to have updated the picture on the site now and it no longer looks cambered, so that is good news


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    417
    Wanted to send an update on this thread.

    I ultimately ended up keeping the Sickles and selling the OG Devastators. The Devs main weakness was their very small flat spot underfoot, making them more twitchy and less stable feeling than the Sickles in most situations outside of 6”+ of new snow.

    I love the Sickle, but I’m still looking for its modern replacement. My pair is 11 years old and has hundreds of days on it. Plus the base material on the Sickles and Scimitars is slow as shit (their most glaring weakness).

    I was hopeful that the new Devs had a bigger flat spot underfoot, like 4FRNT had advertised. The Devs also now come in a 186cm length. That makes the straight pull length around 183 cm, just like the old 186 Sickle. Lastly, the new 186 Dev is supposed to come in at around 2200gm with a turn radius of 21m, identical to the 186 Sickle.

    So I ordered a pair of the new Devs. But the rocker profile is almost identical to the old Devs, and they weigh 2000-2050gm. Not the all mountain playful inbounds charger I was looking for as a Sickle replacement. I returned the Devs still in plastic.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Golden B.C.
    Posts
    337
    Thanks for the update. Maybe one day Rossi will smarten up and rerelease it.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    48
    I sold my sickles because my pair of 2016 sir Francis bacons did almost everything better.
    Probably an unpopular opinion but for me the sickle didnít do anything that a modern freestyle ski doesnít do. Plus the sickle did not float well in powder for its width.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    127
    I agree with above that the dev had too small a flat spot combined with too much splay which made for a very small sweet spot compared to the sickle.

    A ski worth checking out is the moment meridian, I have a pair of 181s that I havenít spent time on yet that measure 180cm straight pull and weigh around 2000 grams. But I demoed the 187 for like 3 days of soft snow skiing and it reminded me a lot of the sickle, but it is slightly lighter and less damp and also has a little more splay, but less than the devestator, Iíd say it shifts the bias slightly towards softer conditions compared to the sickle, gives up a little bit of stability in chop but gains float despite being narrower.

    I do have a pair of 186 sickles that I found at a thrift store so hopefully Iíll be able to A/B with the meridian at some point this year.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,497
    The 194 fixed the flat spot feeling for me when compared to the 184 but that ski is a massive, heavy beast. Not all that hard to ski IMO but very tiring.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by poleplant View Post
    I sold my sickles because my pair of 2016 sir Francis bacons did almost everything better.
    Probably an unpopular opinion but for me the sickle didn’t do anything that a modern freestyle ski doesn’t do. Plus the sickle did not float well in powder for its width.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I have never disagreed with a post more than this one

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    I have never disagreed with a post more than this one
    Haha I knew this would happen, but I stand by what I said. I was surprised when I would a/b the two thought the wide tip and weight of the sickle would make them very different skis, but they performed similarly. I would give the nod to sickles in medium to firm chop, soft chop they are very close, groomers and powder sfb was better. The 2016 sfb was a solid ski, I also mounted 2.5 cm further back which helped, the newer versions are way lighter and softer and donít ski much like the older version.
    Anyways just one opinion but I think a modern stiff rocker/camber/rocker in the 105-110 width can come pretty close to replacing the sickle. Personally I would rather see Rossi make their blackops 118 in a 108 width than have them bring back the sickle.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Posts
    3,998
    Quote Originally Posted by madriverfreeride View Post
    A ski worth checking out is the moment meridian, I have a pair of 181s that I havenít spent time on yet that measure 180cm straight pull and weigh around 2000 grams. But I demoed the 187 for like 3 days of soft snow skiing and it reminded me a lot of the sickle...
    Hmmm... that does look a lot like the sickle profile but with a less abrupt rise in the twin tips.

    And given that you're saying it's a little easier to ski than the sickle and I'm getting old and out of shape... this is appealing to me.

    Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Golden B.C.
    Posts
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by poleplant View Post
    Haha I knew this would happen, but I stand by what I said. I was surprised when I would a/b the two thought the wide tip and weight of the sickle would make them very different skis, but they performed similarly. I would give the nod to sickles in medium to firm chop, soft chop they are very close, groomers and powder sfb was better. The 2016 sfb was a solid ski, I also mounted 2.5 cm further back which helped, the newer versions are way lighter and softer and donít ski much like the older version.
    Anyways just one opinion but I think a modern stiff rocker/camber/rocker in the 105-110 width can come pretty close to replacing the sickle. Personally I would rather see Rossi make their blackops 118 in a 108 width than have them bring back the sickle.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Interesting. I never skied that 2016sfb. I still think the sickle is a pretty amazing 0-20cm ski for my local hill, KH. Super versatile. Have Blackops or Sally rocker1.0 if there is more snow than that.

    I think a black ops 108 would be a great ski but if they haven't made it yet I'm starting to doubt they will.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    838

    Is the 4FRNT Devastator the new and improved Rossignol Sickle?

    Iíve owned Sickles, Devs and Meridians. All were really good skis.

    I donít like new 2020 Devastator top sheet.

    Looks like a kids ski top sheet....made for a 10 yr old?Name:  IMG_8312.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  95.0 KB
    _________________________________________________
    I love big dumps.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Iíve owned Sickles, Devs and Meridians. All were really good skis.

    I donít like new 2020 Devastator top sheet.

    Looks like a kids ski top sheet....made for a 10 yr old?Name:  IMG_8312.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  95.0 KB
    Just out of curiosity what Dev topsheets have you liked? Always hard to nail graphics for everyone, but always curious about what 4FRNT fans like and don't like!

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by 4FRNT_Skis View Post
    Just out of curiosity what Dev topsheets have you liked? Always hard to nail graphics for everyone, but always curious about what 4FRNT fans like and don't like!
    I guess if I'm gonna complain I should provide some alternatives. This was not a slam on 4FRNT....I'ved owned 2013 and 2015 Renegades, 2013 and 2014 Hojis, 2016 Kye 110s, 2015 and 2016 Devs, 2019 Inthaynes, 2018 and 2019 MSP 99s....for whatever reason I've sold all my 4FRNTs (Inthaynes and Rens went to my sons). My 10 year old daughter is still on pink 4FRNT Blondies and 4FRNT Coyotes. And my wife has some 2019 179cm 4FRNT Hoji Ws.

    Favs that I owned re graphics were probably the 2016 Kye 110s and 2013 Pilsner Hojis (see below).

    I don't mind the new MSP graphics. Or the Rens, Hojis and Ravens of the last 2 years.

    My thoughts for the Dev for next year...

    Thinking is that the Dev is a sort of bad ass ski....so make it understated?...eg like a Cochise or Faction CT 5.0.
    Plain graphics would work better than this year's graphics, which are just too kid-like....eg the Devastator Jr?

    Or just bring back the 2013 Pilsner graphic we all want....

    2016 Kye 110:
    Name:  kye 110.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  12.2 KB

    2013 Hoji:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hoji_pair_201213jpg.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	399.3 KB 
ID:	343471
    _________________________________________________
    I love big dumps.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by 4FRNT_Skis View Post
    Just out of curiosity what Dev topsheets have you liked? Always hard to nail graphics for everyone, but always curious about what 4FRNT fans like and don't like!
    New Hoji graphic is fucking ILL!! Followed closely by the by the new Ren. I can honestly say that IMO those 2 graphics are some of 4frntís best EVAR (honestly the whole Hoji line this year has very cool artwork)!! I also really dig the og Inthayne with the snakes (green obviously) as well as the 2011 CRJ. Your welcome.

    ...carry on
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    as well as the 2011 CRJ. Your welcome.

    ...carry on
    Is that CRJ the lion? If so, agree. And they did a reissue on that, after his unfortunate passing

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •