Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
    Within 20 minutes drive time of my house there is every type of riding mentioned in this thread. Fast/smooth/flowy, rocky/rooty/steep super techy up and down, rolling with mixed low angle tech and flow and painful fire road climbs with fast, challenging contrived descents. At each spot there are numerous pedal strike opportunities and I find nearly every one of them every ride, so what? Replace pedals every two years, big deal. As noted, new cranks have a bunch of extra material past the threads so you can crunch them frequently without doing any real damage. I've been riding a 12.4" bb height for the last two and a half years on my fatboy and have had more strikes than the last ten years put together, big deal. I've also gotten way better at the stutter or what their calling ratcheting now, skill building can still happen even after more than 30 years of trail riding.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Within 20 minutes drive time of my house there is every type of riding mentioned in this thread. Fast/smooth/flowy, rocky/rooty/steep super techy up and down, rolling with mixed low angle tech and flow and painful fire road climbs with fast, challenging contrived descents. At each spot there are numerous pedal strike opportunities and I find nearly every one of them every ride, so what? Replace pedals every two years, big deal. As noted, new cranks have a bunch of extra material past the threads so you can crunch them frequently without doing any real damage. I've been riding a 12.4" bb height for the last two and a half years on my fatboy and have had more strikes than the last ten years put together, big deal. I've also gotten way better at the stutter or what their calling ratcheting now, skill building can still happen even after more than 30 years of trail riding.
    Is that a fully rigid fat bike? I have no idea what the sag is on the tires, but if its an inch, you get a 11.4" BB sagged. You take a 6" travel bike with a 13.35" BB and sag it 30% just in the suspension travel, and you get 11.5"....plus the tire sag. Your bike isn't any lower than a modern full suspension bike when sagged, and yes, they all pedal strike like crazy. You probably had a pretty high BB on your last bike.

Yup the bike is full rigid, the rider is full squish though haha. Nah I'm a relative lightweight at ~155 and don't believe in super low pressure (8 ft/9 rr) so maybe 1/2" tire compression making it just a hair under 12". Last bike was an 07 Enduro S Works with the low bb shock mount and ~30% sag, no idea what the final was and the bike has been hanging untouched since a month after I got the fatty.

I've also gotten way better at the stutter or what their calling ratcheting now
    I've learned something here! I do that frequently and never really had to in the past, so it just happened because I had to. This stuff we're riding is all newish terrain, so the rough patches are not always buffed out and some/most never really could be anyway.
    My fatty has potential to strike frequently especially riding flats.
    Stoked to ride tomorrow!

Yup the bike is full rigid, the rider is full squish though haha. Nah I'm a relative lightweight at ~155 and don't believe in super low pressure (8 ft/9 rr) so maybe 1/2" tire compression making it just a hair under 12". Last bike was an 07 Enduro S Works with the low bb shock mount and ~30% sag, no idea what the final was and the bike has been hanging untouched since a month after I got the fatty.
    Nice bikes. Looks like the low position with a long fork yields a claimed 14" BB, that should explain a few things.

http://service.specialized.com/colla...FSR-Manual.pdf

At least one bike company hasn't completely lost it's mind.........

Am I the only one who thinks if slight BB differences make a huge difference you're probably just a shitty mountain biker? I frequently head down to Santa Barbara and ride some techy trails (like Tunnel and Jesusita) with big ass rocks and if you're relying on bike geometry to get through some of those sections cleanly then you've already lost the battle.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks if slight BB differences make a huge difference you're probably just a shitty mountain biker?
    no, no your'e not. But a slight difference in wheel size, now thats something to start a thread about.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025