Moab 4x4 Trail Recs

Maggots know everything, so surely somebody's done some wheelin' in Moab...

Headed down end of this month. Never been. Probably will try to ski a day in the La Sals, but most of the group is pretty MTB focused, which I don't really do. So I'd love to run a couple 4x4 trails in the area. Cruising guidebooks the number of possibilities is staggering. Fun, moderate obstacles, good scenery, maybe possibilities for side hikes or mellow MTB would be our priorities.

Rigs will be a lightly modified first-gen Tundra (3" lift, 33" Duratracs, open diffs, rock sliders and rear bumper adding 8" of clearance to the departure angle should be done by the trip) and stock first-gen Tacoma (31" BFG A/Ts, TRD locker in rear) so both trucks should be similarly capable overall. Experienced but not expert drivers. Definitely can't do any of the hardcore trails but should be reasonably capable.

What should we consider must dos?

Get a bike lazy ass.

Brokeass is the word you were looking for.

You could be the drunk shuttle driver for your friends on white rim.

Throwing beer cans out the window at mountain bikers.... hmm, this idea has merit.

Start out at fins and things or Gemini Bridges

map here
    http://www.discovermoab.com/fourwheel.htm

ratings here
    http://www.cruisemoab.com/trail-rating-system.asp

Hurrah Pass/Chicken corner trail is cool. A ways of just dirt road before the actual wheeling begins. Not too tough, but good scenery, and doesn't feel like you're abusing youre shit.

In Arches, the Tower arch trail between salt valley rd and Eye of the Whale Trail is cool but about as hard as I wanna do in my truck. Had to move rocks in places to get up and down drop offs in the middle section. Eye of the whale trail is fun, goes from willow flats road to klondike bluffs along the west side of the park. Sand and dirt mostly, some rocky sections and closer to Willow flats road some pretty off camber sections where two wheels are down in a deep rut. Pretty easy overall. Watch for sandstone sticking up in the washes.

Did these in a stock second gen TRD Tacoma access cab with 265/75/16 ATs

Canyonlands elephant hill loop... Tr to come...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180402_094612.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	230977
    sigless.

I jsut got back from Jeep week. I've been 4 wheeling there for the better part of 10 years now, and am only beginning to scratch the surface, but have done pretty much everything you'll find online or in guide books at this point, all the way up to Pritchett, which is buggy only unless you don't give a fuck.

Since you are running trucks, you are only looking at easy and moderate trails as seen in this book, which you should buy local as they are sold at the bookstore or any of the outdoor gear shops -> https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...SABEgL1A_D_BwE

If you have never done some real offroading you will probably find the moderate trails will give you PLENTY of challenge. You can probably make some of the difficult rated trails if you are cool with some metal on rock noises and good with tire placement, but very few difficult trails will be manageable with trucks. The trails mentioned above, notably Fins and Things, your trucks are going to have a tough time being so long. You WILL hit shit if you can make it through at all given your length. Tower Arch trail gets rougher every year and is currently rated difficult. I'd be worried about the Taco making it currently without a lot of rock moving. If you want to step up the challenge I'd check out the Dome Plateau area to get your feet wet as its probably one of the tougher moderate rated trails. Bring a map or GPS and the guidebook. It's easy to get lost up there. Dome plateau is one of my favorites and my recco if Gemini Bridges is to easy for you.

Gemini Bridges is super easy, and gives you a nice taste of some shelf road driving. Hellroaring Rim is another good one (not in the guidebook) and you should be able to make 99% of it no problem. You can bypass the one tough part. This whole area has a bunch of great trails like Secret Spire, Tusher wash and Tunnel, and a whole bunch of spur roads and other trails which will give you a whole mess of interesting things to do, sand, rocks, climbs, the whole shebang. For your rigs, this Northwest area of Moab should be your jam.

Chicken Corners is great and seems to have some recent maintenance. Hurrah Pass for the access is super smooth currently. Be careful as your Taco will have trouble on pretty much every spur road off this route. I got turned around on Lockhart basin despite youtube videos showing a new Taco making it. It has gotten much worse recently during the first mile, and I've got a Wrangler lifted on 33's.

Go out there and get some. Its a wonderful place.

And I just realized this is from 2016. Woops.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    And I just realized this is from 2016. Woops.
    Hah! It's pretty great beta anyway for anyone searching for this thread.

I did Tower Arch no problem when I went out in 2016, it was a fun trail and totally within the capabilities of my lifted Tundra without moving rocks and with good tire placement. However that was two years ago and I can definitely believe that it may be harder now as stuff gets washed out.

Gemini Bridges is also a cool road but the only reason I even went into 4WD was to put it in low going down so I didn't have to ride the brake.

I'll check out some of the other suggestions on the next trip.