Anyone able to look up the owner of a license plate?

Dude jacks my mirror up in traffic, tells me to f myself when I asked him to pull over for his DL and insurance info and then drives off. I was able to snap a pic of the van and the driver. Pretty sure it was an employee of whoever owned the van. Looked like a janitorial service but no company logos, just a bunch of cleaning supplies and bags of rags that I could see through the window. Left a big scratch down the side of the van. Only cosmetic damage to my mirror. If he would have stopped and apologized I probably would have dropped it. Already called the cops but doubt it's a big priority for them. I would like to call his boss and explain the situation and see if he's willing to buy the plastic piece of my mirror that left a black streak on his van. Idaho license plate 1A 4130F.

Why don't you call your insurance company and give them the license plate info and mention to them that you called the police also?

I bet your insurance company has access to those kind of databases if you want to go that route.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I really just want this guy to get fucked with because he was a dick. A simple sorry would have saved everyone some heartache.

Edit: $400 to get my mirror back to pre-accident status and insurance can't look up a plate until the police call me back.

When you file the accident report he will likely also get charged with a hit and run. Bonus

Edit-Just spoke with the police and after seeing the pictures they stated they would call for his insurance info and if the owner of the van doesn't respond, the owner of the van will have a warrant placed for hit and run. The lady cop was cool and sounded a little sexy.
    Last edited by Conundrum; 04-08-2016 at 04:23 PM.

I've always thought license plates should be listed on the county webpage or maybe the state DOT.

It needs to be pretty open and easy to get.

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    I've always thought license plates should be listed on the county webpage or maybe the state DOT.

It needs to be pretty open and easy to get.
    I'd love to know why? My plates would trace back to my address. I don't want random people able to search my plate and get my address. That could take road rage to an entirely different level.

I also figured the cops would respond pretty quick to a hit and run despite op's thoughts. Glad it sounds like it will work out. That's what you get for being a dick when you're at fault. Karma baby.

Considering what a pain it is, I find it now even funnier that on the car forums people photoshop out their plates. Like what was somebody going to do anyway?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

in OR, the police won't give you info on a person based on plates
    they will track someone down for police purposes, but cannot share the info to private citizens
    i found this out when i got hit by an old guy while i was riding my bike
    he stops & gives me fake info
    i took a picture of his plates but never saw his license
    police said, he stopped & gave you info so it's not hit/run (he fucking lied and ran)
    i couldn't believe it...and they had no interest in pursuing it further

wow so i can overcome a hit and run with fraud. good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    Paper beats rock.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    and i learned to claim a hit/run no matter what actually happened

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    they will track someone down for police purposes, but cannot share the info to private citizens
    i took a picture of his plates but never saw his license
    police said, he stopped & gave you info so it's not hit/run (he fucking lied and ran)
    i couldn't believe it...and they had no interest in pursuing it further
    Snap photo of id in the future.

Wait, Idaho?

Call Pio.
    I still call it The Jake.

I got a photo of the car of the guy who sawed off my catalytic converter in broad daylight on a saturday afternoon. The cops didn't give a shit. My insurance actually did track him down and subrogated the claim with his insurance, which I thought was funny. I don't think the guy's insurance covered him stealing car parts. (CA by the way).

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    In retrospect you should have been suspicious when he claimed his name was George Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I'd love to know why? My plates would trace back to my address. I don't want random people able to search my plate and get my address. That could take road rage to an entirely different level.
    Imagine if every hot chick on the road could be easily traced to her address. Half the guys on TGR would have been arrested for stalking.
    Gravity Junkie

File a police report then file a claim against the insurance company. The cops will give you that much information. The insurance company will find out what happened... who was driving. The employer won't be happy.

When you do track him down, are you going the poop under the door handles route or garnishing his wages?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    When you do track him down, are you going the poop under the door handles route or garnishing his wages?
    Poop on his wages?

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    When you file the accident report he will likely also get charged with a hit and run. Bonus
    Hahahaha, fuck that guy!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

well here is an interesting one that might help some in the future. I personally think this is nuts and can't imagine how its not illegal.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...ext-via-plext/

well here is an interesting one that might help some in the future. I personally think this is nuts and can't imagine how its not illegal.

If I'm reading that article correctly it looks like you have to voluntarily create an account for that service where you provide your license plate # in order to be able to receive messages. That sounds like an insane thing to do but I guess that would mean you are consenting in some sense.

We'll it's legal because both parties have to have registered accounts or the text won't go through. Pretty useless imho