Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I bought a 2016 Hightower 3 weeks ago and the shock is already old tech. Why am I not surprised?

That pinkbike comment was spot on. I'm not sure I completely agree with the logic that the frame should be designed around the shock but it does feel like this is a bit trying to address a broken system where there are an infinite number of sizes and mounts that are completely ridiculous.

I didn't really read the article very closely because I do agree that this is fucking retarded, but

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post

I've bought about $900 worth of Rockshox's SHIT in the last year, and am starting to rethink my decisions.
    Wow, your life is tough.
    A good way to get sympathy is to humble-brag on the internet that you had almost a grand to frivolously blow on bicycle parts.
    No, I know. That's not really THAT much money. It's just something about you and the way you type. You come across as a self-righteous prick.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by bsavery View Post
    That pinkbike comment was spot on. I'm not sure I completely agree with the logic that the frame should be designed around the shock but it does feel like this is a bit trying to address a broken system where there are an infinite number of sizes and mounts that are completely ridiculous.
    That comment is garbage. All bikes are designed around an existing shock size, of which there are 3 general size groups that have been around for 15+ years, unchanged. The industry is trying to BS you with marketing pseudoscience.

where's that waaaaaamulance gone?

If you don't like their marketing, don't buy from them. If you have a better idea for a shock, build it.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    If you have a better idea for a shock, build it.
    I recommend elastomers. Old school FTMFW!

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

What's old is new. I like your style.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    What's old is new. I like your style.
    I just need to figure out some way to fit that new-fangled contraption onto my trusty Ol' Bessie here:

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

These aren't even for retail sale yet and RS says they will continue manufacturing their "old" shocks for the next few years until demand tapers off. Honestly it would nice if the whole country moved to metric, plus it would make things easier for the people building all this shit in Taiwan haha. But what's next 28.5mm tapered forks, 700mm (plus) wheels? In general I think we can agree most of the changes in technology and standards have been beneficial to advance mountain biking.

That comment is garbage. All bikes are designed around an existing shock size, of which there are 3 general size groups that have been around for 15+ years, unchanged. The industry is trying to BS you with marketing pseudoscience.
    Absolutely untrue statement. You've never ridden a specialized bike. Or a recent trek remedy/fuel.
    Hint: http://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/news...-shocks-41695/ when Rock Shox has to release special sized shocks and with special mounts for the two largest US bike builders you can't say all bikes are built around an existing shock size.

I'm not trying to defend Rock Shox here and say they picked the right sizes for their shocks. And personally I don't really care if you measure your shocks in metric or imperial units. I'm saying that trying to standardize the mounting and sizes a bit more than they are is an applaudable effort. And think about it from the shock maker's standpoint. They're told "hey design this shock, but you need to make it in an ever increasing number of sizes/strokes/mounting hardware". That makes the engineering of that shock hard to say the least. It looks like what they were able to do with this shock is limit the variables a bit and work on the bushing overlaps. Fine, good for them.

I dunno I don't feel like this something being rammed down our throats to sell more products like boost is. Frame makers can either build to the spec or won't there's going to be shocks for them to use.

Absolutely untrue statement. You've never ridden a specialized bike. Or a recent trek remedy/fuel.
    Hint: http://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/news...-shocks-41695/ when Rock Shox has to release special sized shocks and with special mounts for the two largest US bike builders you can't say all bikes are built around an existing shock size.
    I own two specialized DH frames. Both can use the same standard shock size. I've never bought any of their bikes that use whacky shock asshattery.

I'm not trying to defend Rock Shox here and say they picked the right sizes for their shocks. And personally I don't really care if you measure your shocks in metric or imperial units. I'm saying that trying to standardize the mounting and sizes a bit more than they are is an applaudable effort. And think about it from the shock maker's standpoint. They're told "hey design this shock, but you need to make it in an ever increasing number of sizes/strokes/mounting hardware". That makes the engineering of that shock hard to say the least. It looks like what they were able to do with this shock is limit the variables a bit and work on the bushing overlaps. Fine, good for them.

I dunno I don't feel like this something being rammed down our throats to sell more products like boost is. Frame makers can either build to the spec or won't there's going to be shocks for them to use.
    Don't claim this has anything do to with engineering a frame. Seriously.

Trek and specialized are STILL going to do whatever the hell they want. They always have because they want you using only the shock TUNES available in those wacky sizes.

DS is actually right on this.......there really are only about 4 trail bike and 2 dh bike shock sizes most the real world uses. More exist but there certainly has been a convergence already happening.

The big bearings on the shock mount are cool but you could have done that another way. And if you really wanted to reduce shock mount options then just reduce them, not make more. As it sits shock hardware really isn't that big of a deal.

As usual though, I don't blame a company trying to make money as much as damian's heros on MTBR who make it all possible by immediately buying whatever the hell comes out just because it's new.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Lycra and electric shit ftw.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Don't claim this has anything do to with engineering a frame. Seriously.
    You noticed the eye to eye measurements in the new system have all grown a tad for a comparable shock stroke right?

Take a look at the write up on vital. This DOES allow for better shock designs.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Don't worry Damian all the 26" tires will be gone before the imperial (legacy) sized shocks are. Really your'e fucked either way.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    Don't worry Damian all the 26" tires will be gone before the imperial (legacy) sized shocks are. Really your'e fucked either way.
    Actually, I expect to see 650b extremely marginalized as a standard by 2018. It's not going to stick around very long.

Actually, I expect to see 650b extremely marginalized as a standard by 2018. It's not going to stick around very long.
    So you think everyone's going 29? Or you're expecting a big 26" resurgence?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    So you think everyone's going 29? Or you're expecting a big 26" resurgence?
    26" will be back with a vengeance by the end of the decade, if not sooner. Why you ask? The bike industry has failed to boost sales by fracturing into umpteen different wheel sizes and segments. They may have sold a tiny number of people a quiver of bikes, but overall sales are down with people sitting out all these changes. They will again have to offer a reasonable number of 26" choices to recapture that 10-20% of the market that isn't buying right now. 26" will see a resurgence and claw back market share, until it ultimately stabilizes somewhere around 70% 26", 25% 700c, and 5% 650b in the 2020's. You heard it here first.

Ironically, it will be IMBA's neutering of trails, flow trails and bike parks, that drives people back to 26". 95% of people (newb/gapers) out there don't want to ride rough terrain, so where is the advantage of larger and fatter wheels? There isn't!

Keep in mind, 26" isn't dead, at all. It's at least 90% of mountain bikes in service. 650b is a tiny niche that is going to ultimately fail.

26" will be back with a vengeance by the end of the decade, if not sooner. Why you ask? The bike industry has failed to boost sales by fracturing into umpteen different wheel sizes and segments. They may have sold a tiny number of people a quiver of bikes, but overall sales are down with people sitting out all these changes. They will again have to offer a reasonable number of 26" choices to recapture that 10-20% of the market that isn't buying right now. 26" will see a resurgence and claw back market share, until it ultimately stabilizes somewhere around 70% 26", 25% 700c, and 5% 650b in the 2020's. You heard it here first.

Ironically, it will be IMBA's neutering of trails, flow trails and bike parks, that drives people back to 26". 95% of people (newb/gapers) out there don't want to ride rough terrain, so where is the advantage of larger and fatter wheels? There isn't!

Keep in mind, 26" isn't dead, at all. It's at least 90% of mountain bikes in service. 650b is a tiny niche that is going to ultimately fail.
    You need to get out more.

3 X 9 drivetrains coming back too?

What kind of curtains did you hang up inside your bubble?

Being king of it, I imagine you have lots of leeway for the creative process.