Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Sorry that happened to you Terry. Insurance cos suck.

My buddy has a brand new Tundra with the off-road and supercharged package. Totally bitchin.

That said the only real replacement, IMHO, is another 4R.
    watch out for snakes

Yeah, but that's too easy and practical. ;-)

Regarding an equal replacement, obviously not inheriting problems would be nice. I found a 4R at a good price but looks like I could easily dump another couple grand on repairs plus that hassle.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Did not read through the full discussion but what about a Kia Sorento? I know at least a few people that have them, one is in his 2nd and talks highly of it for the price range. They were truck like body on a frame, if that is important to you in your selection.

4Runner Replacement

I gave up on gas suv's after rentals in euro and nz. When benz bought jeep parent company the put the 3.0l tubo disel in grand cherokees in 07/08. Same motor as the sprinters so pretty easy to get parts/servisce. I have a 08 that gets 20-24 mpgs with a 2" lift and 32" tires. Great tranny and traction control system which includes lockers ft/rr in low range.

Great for towing midsize trailers (i use a gm 2500 for the big stuff) or hauling(30 ish cases of wine at a time for me). Bottom line torque, mpgs, compression braking, diesel now cheaper than gas(at least in ca).
    Drink to remember not to forget!
    Fourisight Wines

The Jeep Turbodiesels sound interesting. (FWIW, I'm at 1,800 ft higher than Truckee) Some friends have a turbodiesel Touareg which can pass great on climbs and tows well at elevation (10-11k ft). Yesterday's fun run to Telluride was in a friend's XC70 T6 and smoked, too.

Regarding the Jeep turbodiesels, I've so far read these can get less than 20 and not 20-24. Also about an Eco chip and computer that supposedly can reduce carbon build up and improve MPG, HP and Torque. Any insights here?
    Last edited by Alpinord; 04-04-2016 at 06:05 AM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Could you get by with an FJ? I haven't looked but I'd think they would be cheaper and more capable off road than the 4R.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Could you get by with an FJ? I haven't looked but I'd think they would be cheaper and more capable off road than the 4R.
    Isn't Toyota stopping production on the fj?

Yeah. Isn't be looking for used?

A little late to the conversation here. But, realistically, if you are looking at 15mpg vehicles, the mid 2000's 4runner, Tacoma, Tundra, Grand Cherokee, FJ etc. then one needs to just look at full-size vehicles also. I've had a 2006 Tacoma V6/6speed and it was awesome...until I bought 2004 Ford F-150 FX4 5.4l V8 ext cab/6.5ft bed + camper shell + box on top. Wayyy more size, parts are dime a dozen, extraordinarily more room in the bed and the cab and I'm still getting 14-15mpg, which was what I was realistically getting in the Tacoma. I paid $12k for the Tacoma..I paid $7k for the F-150 and I think I'm getting way more than the Tacoma in almost every category. I'm talking V6/V8 AWD/4WD variants ONLY in these vehicles.

The FJ isn't on the list. I'd love 40mpg in an SUV but that ain't happening. The 4Runner was getting low 20's and it would be nice to get that or better if possible. This puts full size PU's and V8s on the low priority list.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Makes sense. We just need to drop emissions nonsense over here stateside..and then get the turbo diesel Jeep's like everywhere else in the world. The Hilux I had over in 'Yurp was getting consistently getting 25-30mpg.

4Runner Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    The Jeep Turbodiesels sound interesting. (FWIW, I'm at 1,800 ft higher than Truckee) Some friends have a turbodiesel Touareg which can pass great on climbs and tows well at elevation (10-11k ft). Yesterday's fun run to Telluride was in a friend's XC70 T6 and smoked, too.

Regarding the Jeep turbodiesels, I've so far read these can get less than 20 and not 20-24. Also about an Eco chip and computer that supposedly can reduce carbon build up and improve MPG, HP and Torque. Any insights here?
    One reason i picked jeep was at the time for 2-4 year old used diesel suvs it was nearly 10k cheaper than the competition and way more capable off road. But the competition is more lux for sure. Touareg, Benz, Porsche are dam nice rigs. Oh what i would do to get a helix as a ranch truck or decked out crawler. I fell in love with those in nz.

I do have the green diesel engineering eco tune which helps. I also use a cetane booster lubricity additive and chevron diesel exclusively. Mainly though its how and where you drive it. For me i do very little highway over 65 mph. The mileage drops quick over 65-70 as rpms are over 2500. Lighter tires for the size and taller than stock help to, im on goodyear silent armor. Mtrs, bfg at2, duratracks or d/e rated are tires i love but not on this rig. My drive to my condo in truckee is 4 hours of which only 30 min is on 80 doing 70 if no weather. The rest of it is mostly hwy 20 doing mainly 55-65 with rpms averaging about 2000.

I hand calculate my mpg as the cpu is off due to the larger tires. Best tank was 26.2 driving around mendo county delivering wine to stores and restaurants. Worst tank not towing 19..7 headed back home near china peak/sierra summit in a hurry 101 to 580 to 5 to 152 to 99 to 168 almost all highway doing 70-80 mph.
    Fourisight Wines

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    A little late to the conversation here. But, realistically, if you are looking at 15mpg vehicles, the mid 2000's 4runner, Tacoma, Tundra, Grand Cherokee, FJ etc. then one needs to just look at full-size vehicles also. I've had a 2006 Tacoma V6/6speed and it was awesome...until I bought 2004 Ford F-150 FX4 5.4l V8 ext cab/6.5ft bed + camper shell + box on top. Wayyy more size, parts are dime a dozen, extraordinarily more room in the bed and the cab and I'm still getting 14-15mpg, which was what I was realistically getting in the Tacoma. I paid $12k for the Tacoma..I paid $7k for the F-150 and I think I'm getting way more than the Tacoma in almost every category. I'm talking V6/V8 AWD/4WD variants ONLY in these vehicles.
    Somebody said it! I get the fan boy shit with Toyotas. They can last a long time and are fairly nice to drive, but you pay for it. If overall cost of ownership and practicality are the objectives, domestic half tons are a great option. There really is nothing cool about them at all which is part of it.

Go on craigslist in the closes no/minimal rust state to where you live. Look at say f150s vs. 4runners, same year, miles, condition etc. Then try to wrap your brain around where you are going to recoup the extra purchase price for the Yota.

Gas- no
    Repair costs - unlikely
    Resale - possibly

Domestic half tons
    not cool - yes
    great practical rigs - yes

I've had a ton of friends make this switch and not regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Somebody said it! I get the fan boy shit with Toyotas. They can last a long time and are fairly nice to drive, but you pay for it. If overall cost of ownership and practicality are the objectives, domestic half tons are a great option. There really is nothing cool about them at all which is part of it.

Go on craigslist in the closes no/minimal rust state to where you live. Look at say f150s vs. 4runners, same year, miles, condition etc. Then try to wrap your brain around where you are going to recoup the extra purchase price for the Yota.

Gas- no
    Repair costs - unlikely
    Resale - possibly

Domestic half tons
    not cool - yes
    great practical rigs - yes

I've had a ton of friends make this switch and not regret it.
    Same here and I've been looking with the above in mind as one of many scenarios.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Yeah. Isn't be looking for used?
    yeah my point though was why buy a discontinued model?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    yeah my point though was why buy a discontinued model?
    Why not? It's not like they instantly stop making parts.

And in theory every single car is discontinued when the new model is released.

On average Isn't Diesel usually more expensive than RUG where you live?

Which completely blows a Diesels better milage figures out of the water ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

This ^^ is why you don't get those cool trucks not built in the USA

so which came 1st the chicken or the egg?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    Makes sense. We just need to drop emissions nonsense over here stateside..and then get the turbo diesel Jeep's like everywhere else in the world. The Hilux I had over in 'Yurp was getting consistently getting 25-30mpg.
    thread drift, better mpg does not mean better emissions, even if the company isn't cheating (i.e. VW).

also, xtrmjoe has a good point about mpg calculations, whether made by the vehicle computer or your own calculations, when folks are not using oem tire sizes.

yeah cuz we need more polution eh, also last time I was in yurp diesel was WAY cheaper than RUG so 9 out of 10 cars/small trucks were burning diesel also they don't have miles over there they got them sissy fucking kilometers,
    so this is America goddamn it and cash is king
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    thread drift, better mpg does not mean better emissions, even if the company isn't cheating (i.e. VW).
    I wasn't saying anything about better or worse emissions as I really don't know. I just know that one of the reasons people don't buy trucks/SUV's is cause of bad MPG's, and in the US there aren't any alternatives. Except..for the rest of the world(minus a few countries) there is an alternative to SUV's/Truck's that do get excellent MPG's and it doesn't have anything to do with a spark-ignited internal combustion gas/petrol engine. Hence, the problem with OP wanting something that gets some decent MPG's but that rules out quite a bit of platforms solely due to the US not having a diesel market.
    Last edited by Tryingtostaywarm; 04-04-2016 at 03:33 PM.

4Runner Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    On average Isn't Diesel usually more expensive than RUG where you live?

Which completely blows a Diesels better milage figures out of the water ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

This ^^ is why you don't get those cool trucks not built in the USA

so which came 1st the chicken or the egg?
    Diesel has only been more expensive than RUG when were in wars and those war machines are eating it up.

Diesel is easier to refine so I'm buying it for 2.07 a gallon where as RUG is 2.29 at the same chevron.
    Fourisight Wines

4Runner Replacement

Buying used I'd only be looking for Japanese. Pathfinder or 4 Runner or a Montero if you can find one, they are awesome. My 2008 pilot is plenty big, very good in the snow, and very reliable. My dealer see's pilots with 400k regularily.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Great input. I'm wishing to avoid maintenance headaches, a V8/lower gas mileage and larger vehicles at this point. The 4Runner was a great fit and super reliable.

I had entertained the thought of a Volvo XC90 because they are a lot cheaper and a nice ride, but sounds like maintenance issues that will keep on giving. True or no? Plus the AWD in some situations wouldn't be a s reliable as a 4x4. We have an Outback and other than clearance and size, the AWD has performed well when we needed it. But it hasn't gone everywhere we'd take the 4Runner in the San Juans or the SW Utah desert or deep snow.

ElC, Do you have a link on the Nissan bypass steps?

Thx.
    My wife and I own both a 2000 Toyota 4Runner (added a tranny cooler to avoid similar issue as Nissan mentioned- easy 30 min job). Mine is an auto with locking rear diff and 185 k and going strong. Bought with the expectation of hitting 300k with it (which is not unrealistic. Gripe- which it had a more powerful engine similar to the wife's 2007 Volvo XC90. We got the V8 with hers as the 6 and 8 basically get the same gas mileage (2mpg diff) and I call it the "rolling bank vault" as that is what it literally is. Nothing better out there at that price point that seated 7 and can protect our little ones in a crash. Gripe- the awd can eat tires fairly quick if you get them too soft. FYI the pre 2004 models suffered from the engine bearing freezing- go newer than that and you should be ok if you shop diligently around. Both of our vehicles I found on the Internet and flew out/ drove back to get out of the local salt / snow belt. Good luck!
    "Not all who wander are lost"

What is this engine bearing problem that you speak of on pre 2004 models? On our 03 4.0 I replaced the tensioner pulley and all the idler bearings and the belt every so often just to keep the squeaking down but other than that nothing. I know the 4.0 can blow a head gasket with 200k plus.