Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    My 05 forester xt has sti heads and is supposed to be free of head gasket issues. Wife's 06 had head gasket replaced at 110k. For me it's a trade for upfront cost vs maintenance. Xterra or 4Runner with supercharger is nice.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    My 05 forester xt has sti heads and is supposed to be free of head gasket issues. Wife's 06 had head gasket replaced at 110k. For me it's a trade for upfront cost vs maintenance. Xterra or 4Runner with supercharger is nice.
    Correct few to no head gasket issues because the turbos all came with mls gaskets that go into all new Subarus and any car that goes in for hg leak gets them too....at least at my local dealer according to the parts guy.

For me it is easy because I don't need the turbo anymore than I need a T4R with a v8.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    It was specifically related to the cars running out of (burning through) zero wt synth oil between recommended services. Supposedly some bimmers were having similar issues, too
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...tion/index.htm

A lot of Subarus use some oil. I think it has always been like that. It doesn't mean they are going to expire early but in my case it did (: but whatevers. A friend has the same Outback I have and it never burned any oil and is still raging at like 250k on original everything. We have two Toyotas and they use zero oil. I'd rather drive the Outback 9 days out of 10 but the T4R is by far the higher quality ride.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 12-25-2016 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Ecoboost Escape has always seemed an interesting option too. Test drove one three years ago and you could/can definitely feel the power from the turbo. And I swear I read that Ford actually has a pretty decent AWD system, but not sure if they have more than one they use like Acura.
    Looks like the Escape and Outback or the current front runners and need to dig deeper on the Escape pros and cons. Any more insights on the Ford AWD and Ecoboost reliability?

I found a V8 for Runner w/257k miles. Tempting as a limited use camping rig. How far and long could a 4Runner keep on truckin'?
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

There was one listed down in Tennessee a while ago with 475k and no visible rust. I posted a link to it somewhere here. I think it was the v6 though. V8 have timing belt that needs changed. V6 can blow headgaskets eventually. A friend of ours has a v8 with close to 300 that she still dailys. Personally I think that is a ton of miles for whatever they are probably asking but we use ours (paid for long ago) in a limited use capacity and it is perfect at just under 200k.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Any more insights on the Ford AWD and Ecoboost reliability?
    I have an F150 with the 3.5L ecoboost. Really love just about everything about the truck. I don't have a ton of miles on the motor, but really like it. A little better mileage (3-4) than my '05 Tundra and plenty of power. Not much for a long test, but if you have any questions, feel free to send them my way.

I grew up in a family that bought all foreign cars. Most recently, just about everybody have been driving Toyotas. Personally, I think they cost a lot, but are super reliable and last forever. In recent years, renting cars while on work trips, I've been impressed by just about all of the Fords I have driven. Both my brother and I are driving Ford trucks now - he's in an F350.

My earlier concerns about Ford drive quality, innovation, etc. have largely gone away.

Seth

I'm sold on a 4runner for my next car. Ive been using my Mothers 97, it has less than 50k on it and looks new. Great truck.

check for rust on the rear bumpers^^
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Looks like the Escape and Outback or the current front runners and need to dig deeper on the Escape pros and cons. Any more insights on the Ford AWD and Ecoboost reliability?

I found a V8 for Runner w/257k miles. Tempting as a limited use camping rig. How far and long could a 4Runner keep on truckin'?
    Buy it. Those 4.7L drivetrains are bulletproof. The build quality and machine work that went into that black is unlike anything Toyota has done or will do. Provided that previous owners haven't beat that thing to shit; it will go forever - really.

I had the same drivetrain in a Land Cruiser that I sold a few years ago and it had more miles on it than what that one states and it ran like a top. All of the independent Toyota techs I've ever come into contact with all say the same. The 4.7L was a special drivetrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I'm sold on a 4runner for my next car. Ive been using my Mothers 97, it has less than 50k on it and looks new. Great truck.
    Jeez what a gem... buy it from her! Tons of aftermarket stuff to make that an offroad beast!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.