Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

40 hours in downtown Seattle.

Going to Seattle for work next week. I'll be there two full days and only have work obligations in the morning--I'll be done by 10:30 both days. I am staying right next the Nakamura Courthouse and the Central Library at 5th and Madison.

I am interested in shit I can't get in Montana, especially Korean and Japanese (more ramen than sushi) food. Also looking for decent breweries/bars close by and other cool places. I will be by myself most of the time so I'm not really interested in anything too fancy. I am not opposed to taking the light rail but would prefer not to spend my whole time getting around town, and would generally rather walk than take a taxi.

Surely you clowns know better than Yelp where I should go. Thanks.

The Nakatomi building? I've seen this movie.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Pike Place Market - they throw fish there!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Pike Place Market - they throw fish there!!
    Whoa! This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

40 hours in downtown Seattle.

Uber over to Ballard, check out restaurants and breweries, go see the locks and fish ladder. Can't do that in MT or many other big cities.

Edit: catch a show at The Tractor Tavern
    Last edited by dtown; 03-30-2016 at 03:34 PM.

The Lusty Lady is now closed. I don't think Butte really has anything to compare.

Lukes in mssla is closed, right? The Blue Moon @ 45th & I-5 is still open as is the Comet, 2 of the old grandee taverns, if you're into that kind of history.

Pike Place brewey is right there, just S. of the market on 1st with decent food and beer (I harbor a soft spot for pike place pale).

In the market, Place Pigalle has a killer selection of armanacs and scotches. Expensive food and teensy tables there, but a cool bar if there's a seat.
    Also, Maximiliens is a nice spot for French bistro food, killer views, small upstairs bar.

Oyakadon type stuff? There's a bunch in the International district, I can't remember the name of the one just N. of the district proper in a 2 story brick building on 5th.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    The Lusty Lady is now closed. I don't think Butte really has anything to compare.

Lukes in mssla is closed, right? The Blue Moon @ 45th & I-5 is still open as is the Comet, 2 of the old grandee taverns, if you're into that kind of history.

Pike Place brewey is right there, just S. of the market on 1st with decent food and beer (I harbor a soft spot for pike place pale).

In the market, Place Pigalle has a killer selection of armanacs and scotches. Expensive food and teensy tables there, but a cool bar if there's a seat.
    Also, Maximiliens is a nice spot for French bistro food, killer views, small upstairs bar.

Oyakadon type stuff? There's a bunch in the International district, I can't remember the name of the one just N. of the district proper in a 2 story brick building on 5th.
    Comet is still open but it has been totally remodeled and now connects to lost lake tavern around the corner. About the only thing that looks like the old comet is the bathrooms

In the early 90s, Pike Place Pale was the best beer in the universe, I had never tasted a beer so good. Then I moved away, I think the brewery was sold, they started bottling, and I saw it in bottles in Colorado. Tried it, and it was not the same.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I am staying right next the Nakamura Courthouse and the Central Library at 5th and Madison.
    .......I am not opposed to taking the light rail but would prefer not to spend my whole time getting around town, and would generally rather walk than take a taxi.
    https://www.prontocycleshare.com/ might work well for you? I think there's a station at the Library?

You should try one of the Elysian brewery places...
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Story The Seattle Times just ran today that might help you in the good beer area:
    http://www.seattletimes.com/life/foo...ws-in-seattle/

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    Uber over to Ballard, check out restaurants and breweries, go see the locks and fish ladder. Can't do that in MT or many other big cities.

Edit: catch a show at The Tractor Tavern
    I have spent time in Ballard. It's cool, and you're right--nothing like it in MT. Can I really not be entertained in the downtown area for two days?

I should also mention that shows are out because the second morning is a big fucking deal so I will be going to bed at a reasonable hour and I have an 10 p.m. flight out the second night.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

AD, thanks. I'll probably check out Cloudburst at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    In the early 90s, Pike Place Pale was the best beer in the universe, I had never tasted a beer so good. Then I moved away, I think the brewery was sold, they started bottling, and I saw it in bottles in Colorado. Tried it, and it was not the same.
    Life's just like everything else, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Nwslide View Post
    Comet is still open but it has been totally remodeled and now connects to lost lake tavern around the corner. About the only thing that looks like the old comet is the bathrooms
    Ah. Progress, eh?

AD, thanks. I'll probably check out Cloudburst at least.
    Yeah, I haven't been there yet, but sounds interesting.

Keep in mind Capitol Hill will be very easy for you to get to now with the new light rail station, so if you want to journey beyond the downtown area that would be an easy place to get to that's got lots going on.

Walk up Madison. Capitol Hill is 15-20 minutes.

Beer: Optimism Brewery (food trucks), Elysian Brewery (pub food), Quinn's (more upmarket pub food). Cocktails: Still Liquor, Tavern Law, Canon (allegedly World's Best Drink Selection http://luxseattle.com/2013/07/28/can...ink-selection/....), Old Sage (smoked meats and beer/cocktails) Food: too many to mention but I like Nue, Chavez, Terra Plata, L'il Woody's for burgers http://lilwoodys.com/ Sandwiches for lunch: Slab, or right next door, Meat and Bread http://meatandbread.ca/capitol-hill/todays-menu/

Pike Place Market: some good suggestions, though perhaps a little staid. Try Radiator Whisky (upstairs in the Market - awesome whisky and smoked meat http://radiatorwhiskey.com/

All these places are a short walk from 5th and Madison, and all are fairly lively for a guy by himself. And it's downhill from Cap Hill to 5th and Madison - quick and easy, or even quicker and easier on a Pronto bike...

Enjoy your 40 hours.....

Quote Originally Posted by ianpnw View Post
    Pike Place Market:
    Market Grill lunch counter... Blackened salmon on bread from Le Panier and their homemade coleslaw.. trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

beat me to it....

I am interested in shit I can't get in Montana, especially Korean and Japanese...
    I saw this and was like "Ohhhh. I've got something for you." then read on and found out that wasn't what you mean't.

I work in Chinatown next to Pioneer Square...around here I'd recommend googling Taylor Shellfish for great oysters and a good happy hour, Kaname (http://www.kaname-izakaya.com) for good Japanese apps and a great happy hour, Maneki for old-school sushi. The giant Asian supermarket Uwajimaya is also worth a stop to check out the live seafood section. They also have a food court that includes a Korean BBQ place with awesome Bibimbap in a stone bowl that's worth the trip to the store on its own. I'd include links but I'm sitting in a meeting trying to look engaged. Feel free to PM if you want more details. All of these places are within a 5-10 min walk from the International District light rail station.

And oh yeah, Fuck Ballard.

Life's just like everything else, huh?
    GET OFF MY LAWN!

Walk down to the International District (aka Chinatown). Maybe organize a mag dim sum & beer lunch.

Umi Sake House on 1st in Belltown has a great happy hour menu and good vibe.

Yeah I was going to mention art too. The outdoor exhibit next to the water from downtown is pretty awesome. Spent a good part of the day there capturing shots of the art with the space needle in the background. Then walked up the shoreline for about couple hours, took the ferry across and walked up that coast for a few more.

The art museum in downtown had great reviews but I spent all of my time outdoors.

Somehow had 7 days of sunshine when I was there. Locals were all freaked out.