Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Daily driver recs

Mags, would love advice on my next daily driver.

Me: 6'3" 180lb. 30.0 boot. I'd like to think I ski heavier than my weight. There isn't much ski gear I won't break eventually. Mostly ski trees and bumps. Like to go fast.

Skis: Current daily driver is a 184 Mantra. On my 4th pair. Love that they are heavy and damp, cut through anything, arc well on the occasional groomer. Don't like that they are heavy (for the occasional tour), not forgiving in bumps, not fun deeper than 8" new. Also run Squad7s which I originally got as pow skis but have been using them for for all conditions and all terrain lately. Fun all around other than in bumps. More use than Mantras. Recently unloaded 184 Gotamas. Liked them but realized tail rocker is not my thing. Other boards don't get used much.

Need (I think): Something in mid-180s with 105-115 underfoot. <25m radius, flat tail, enough metal that they won't break but not too much that I can't turn quick or hate them going uphill 5x times/season.

Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks in advance.

186 vicik

Well why not just get another ski to tour with?

184cm Head Monster 98 is probably the closest thing on the market to the old Mantra.

It does not have metal, but Praxis custom 184 Freeride came to mind... I honestly cannot think of a ski with metal that would be good to tour with even on a limited basis...

Keith will be kicking off his yearly custom ski ordering today which would let you pick core, stiffness, graffic and layup for a price that is impossible to beat...

Cham 107 2.0 sounds like a match.

The Elan Rip Stick 106 would be worth trying. Lightweight, but seems plenty stable to me (185 pounds). 188 skis real nice, but I had to accept the fact that the 181 is better suited to my weak legs. Sub 20 turn radius.

190 Salomon QLab is worth a look. Discontinued for next year, apparently.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    Well why not just get another ski to tour with?

184cm Head Monster 98 is probably the closest thing on the market to the old Mantra.
    Good suggestion on the Monster 98. A buddy was skiing on them this weekend - it motivated my original post.

I have a dedicated (lightweight) touring rig but like to have the flexibility of something burlier when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    It does not have metal, but Praxis custom 184 Freeride came to mind... I honestly cannot think of a ski with metal that would be good to tour with even on a limited basis...

Keith will be kicking off his yearly custom ski ordering today which would let you pick core, stiffness, graffic and layup for a price that is impossible to beat...
    Awesome thanks.

Re: metal for an uphill ski, I'm already on T-Race boots with no walk mode so I'm used to pain while touring for the few days I'm on my burlier setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Cham 107 2.0 sounds like a match.
    These could def work. Anyone holding 184 in good shape?

Ideas:

ON3P Wren 112 (or next year's 108 or 98)
    Praxis RX or maybe Freeride (custom order in flex 4 or 5 with the maple/ash core)
    old Katana
    DPS Wailer 105 T2

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post

I checked the website, nothing on the sale yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    These could def work. Anyone holding 184 in good shape?
    You don't want the 184, that's the 1.0. You want the 183 or 189 which is the 2.0 version.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I checked the website, nothing on the sale yet.
    Not yet, but he did send out an email stating the custom sale would begin 3/30th so I would imagine anytime now... It will be interesting to see how he setups the custom core option fir this years custome...

Cool. I'll keep checking.

190 Salomon q-lab. I'm a bit smaller than you and have really been enjoying the 183.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry - Mark Twain

Next year's wren 108. That ski does exactly what you want. No metal, but will be nearly as damp and far more rebound, and suck less to tour on. Much quicker and easier than the stated ~28m radius might make you think with the new sidecut/rocker profile up front

I can also pretty much guarantee you'll never break them before you, your boots, and bindings all break.

Otherwise praxis freeride or rx.

I might as well hop on this thread as I'll be looking for a new pair of daily drivers for next season. Most of my skiing is at Kirkwood with an annual trip to the Dolomites. I like to ski fast making GS turns on big faces while also thoroughly enjoying steep and narrow areas of the mountain. I'm 6'2 175lbs

Current skis:
    190 05/06 Gotamas - These are just about dead but will have to be pried from my hands. I spent the majority of my time this year on these skis. They'll be relegated to rock ski status next year
    186 05/06 Legend Pros - Favorite ski of all time. I'll never get rid of them and still thoroughly enjoy them in most conditions
    193 Sanouks - In my opinion, one of the most fun pure pow skis ever made

As you can tell, I tend to hold on to my skis for a long time and ski them until they're dead. Lots of skis, mostly from ON3P and Praxis, have piqued my interest but I haven't committed to anything yet.

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by GBB; 03-30-2016 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    You don't want the 184, that's the 1.0. You want the 183 or 189 which is the 2.0 version.
    Got it thanks.

Generally am I a wus for skiing short? I haven't skied anything over 185 for years despite my height/weight. I unloaded 178 Gotamas recently because they did feel too short (sub-180cm + tip and tail rocker was too unstable) and my 180 S7s feel short but for tight trees I was scared away by the longer radius of the 190s. With tele I feel like I need shorter than in my alpine days but don't have much reason for that.

Got it thanks.

Generally am I a wus for skiing short? I haven't skied anything over 185 for years despite my height/weight. I unloaded 178 Gotamas recently because they did feel too short (sub-180cm + tip and tail rocker was too unstable) and my 180 S7s feel short but for tight trees I was scared away by the longer radius of the 190s. With tele I feel like I need shorter than in my alpine days but don't have much reason for that.
    Yes, but if it works for you, what does it matter? If you mostly ski tight trees and bumps, why go too long? There is a happy balance, probably wouldn't go shorter than ~182 at your height and weight but no need to go 190+ if you don't feel you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by GBB View Post
    I might as well hop on this thread as I'll be looking for a new pair of daily drivers for next season. Most of my skiing is at Kirkwood with an annual trip to the Dolomites. I like to ski fast making GS turns on big faces while also thoroughly enjoying steep and narrow areas of the mountain. I'm 6'2 175lbs

186 05/06 Legend Pros - Favorite ski of all time. I'll never get rid of them and still thoroughly enjoy them in most conditions

As you can tell, I tend to hold on to my skis for a long time and ski them until they're dead. Lots of skis, mostly from ON3P and Praxis, have piqued my interest but I haven't committed to anything yet.

What are your thoughts?
    as mentioned above to the OP as a replacement to his cambered Mantras, I'll recommend the same ski as a very similar ski to your LP 186's: Head Monster 98's. Plus they were such a dawg of a seller this year for Head they can be picked up for cheap with little effort.

Awesome feedback everyone. Thanks. Need a ski for the remainder of this season so passing on another pair of Praxis for now. Looking for Head Monster 108s or Dynastar Cham 2.0 107. Any leads please send my way.

Awesome feedback everyone. Thanks. Need a ski for the remainder of this season so passing on another pair of Praxis for now. Looking for Head Monster 108s or Dynastar Cham 2.0 107. Any leads please send my way.
    So I was a huge fan of the LP and XXL and hate the Cham series... However, a friend bought a pair of these on the cheap...:

http://www.highmountainsports.com/dy...FVFcfgodvHMKEA

Not the 2.0, but pretty close and the price is stupid...

praxis gpo ticks all your boxes except for metal ts. radius, tail, trees , bumps, slash , carve all checked. a lot of people were calling moment dw the one ski quiver. gpo does everything better apart from riding switch as the gpo doesn't have that goofy twin. save some $ and get the standard gpo on sale. still light compared to most stock builds, bomber construction9rockies approved). pm me for code for further 15% off

I'm exactly your height and weight. Go longer. My daily driver the last two seasons has been a 196 Moment Governor. Superb daily driver, and if you look can be had pretty reasonably. Flat tail, early rise, arc-able, float-able. First time in years I've only taken one pair of skis to the hill most of the time.