Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I haven't tele skied since the one buckle days, but it seems like toe screws would have more stress on them than any alpine bindings. Have you considered inserts?

Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    OK, back at it. I know I'm in TT and not GS but after two broken pair of Cham 107s this season I'm looking for a 100-110ish underfoot daily driver that is not a Dynastar. 185ish length.

What's out there?
    DPS Wailer 105 T2

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    I haven't tele skied since the one buckle days, but it seems like toe screws would have more stress on them than any alpine bindings. Have you considered inserts?
    Have not tried inserts. Maybe I should. Or just t-nuts!

Stokli Stormrider 105 (or 97)

Thanks all. Trying Head Monster 98 in 184.

Monsters rip

I don't know who mounts those idiot tele plate-toes for you, but whomever it is, don't use him/her again

that's why your Chams broke

not because they are lousy

it may also be that you suck as a skier, in fact, I'd put lotsa ducats on that possibility

the Monsters are gonna kick your ass, you'll be selling them after half a day

Man, I picked up the ON3P Wren 102 last fall for my DD. It gave me exactly what I wanted. Take a look at that or the Kartels.

Finally got my Monster 98s out today. They are burly. Feel like they need 40mph before they engage. Super damp though, unbelievably stable. Just what I was looking for.

Sego Cleaver 102.

Daily driver recs

Bumping this 11 month thread. Recapping: originally looking for a 105-115 daily driver, settled on Dynastar Cham 2.0 107, then broke one, then broke another, then got fed up and moved on to Head Monster 98s. Like the Monsters but they’re less a do-it-all ski than I wanted, so recently remounted the warranty Chams that Dynastar gave me to balance out the Monsters, and just broke a THIRD Cham today. Nothing acute, just skiing chopped up bumpy trees, no impact, just head a pop. First two breaks were on 22D Vice; this one on 22D Axl. The way the ski broke it f’ed the binding too. WTF? 3 breaks on skis that were skied 3 day, 5 days, and 1 day respectively.

So, looking again for a 105-115 daily. Camber underfoot, flat tail, mid-180cm, metal to keep my damn bindings from ripping out. Never skiing Dynastar again. Any new ideas? I’m now broke so need to go used and under $200. Don’t need to be pretty, busy something that’s going to be fun and durable. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9919.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	283.1 KB 
ID:	259191

Impressive.

Fix the heel, fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Fix the heel, fix the problem.
    yeah, can't imagine the problem is w/ the skis in this situation

Physically can’t alpine ski due to back injury two decades ago. Generally I would agree that it’s me and not the skis though these haven’t had an issue ever - foam core crap with probably 150 days on them.

Name:	IMG_4039.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	328.0 KB 
ID:	259238

I always thought Chams sucked even if they didn't break.

Blizzard Rustlers have metal underfoot, I believe. Would be a nice combo with Monsters. 10's are very easy and have a top speed you can probably reach since you are a destroyer of skis. The 11's are also easy, but can haul even if they won't crush crud like some skis. I don't have a pair of either, but would consider both if I were in the market for new skis.

How the fuck is teleing easier on your back than alpine?
    Also, maybe you should mount with inserts.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Inserts or t-nuts. Trying t-nuts first but hate to wreck the base.

For me tele absorbs impact with my whole body, whereas on alpine, particularly in bumps, there is a lot of lower back movement. None on tele, for whatever reason. I can charge a full day on tele, but one zipper line on alpine and my back is toast.

That's really interesting to hear. I have a bad back, and it's really been bad the past couple years.
    Not sure I can bring myself to make every turn a squat thrust and have no edge control.
    Skied some moguls today and I think I'll be ok tomorrow. Muscle memory and core strength is coming back.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

OK. Turns out breaking shit is me. Maybe it’s time for NTN. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4111.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	256.5 KB 
ID:	261127

Knee to ski dude!
    Knee to ski.
    It's hard on shit

Felt vindicated today with my 3-broken-Cham 108 2.0 saga: bumped into a guy on the mountain today who had just broken his second Cham, but with alpine binders. Seems maybe it was the skis and not me...

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Bumping this 11 month thread. Recapping: originally looking for a 105-115 daily driver, settled on Dynastar Cham 2.0 107, then broke one, then broke another, then got fed up and moved on to Head Monster 98s. Like the Monsters but they’re less a do-it-all ski than I wanted, so recently remounted the warranty Chams that Dynastar gave me to balance out the Monsters, and just broke a THIRD Cham today. Nothing acute, just skiing chopped up bumpy trees, no impact, just head a pop. First two breaks were on 22D Vice; this one on 22D Axl. The way the ski broke it f’ed the binding too. WTF? 3 breaks on skis that were skied 3 day, 5 days, and 1 day respectively.

So, looking again for a 105-115 daily. Camber underfoot, flat tail, mid-180cm, metal to keep my damn bindings from ripping out. Never skiing Dynastar again. Any new ideas? I’m now broke so need to go used and under $200. Don’t need to be pretty, busy something that’s going to be fun and durable. Thanks.

Name:	IMG_9919.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	283.1 KB 
ID:	259191
    Blizzard cochise is my dd
    Haven’t tele’d it, but I do tele on occasion
    Metal, damp, predictable

And yes, go ntn
    . . .

For me tele absorbs impact with my whole body, whereas on alpine, particularly in bumps, there is a lot of lower back movement. None on tele, for whatever reason. I can charge a full day on tele, but one zipper line on alpine and my back is toast.
    Nearly same for me re back issues tele vs alpine.

I don’t have answer to your dd question. I’m on similar quest, but the head monster 98 is on my short list along with mantra m5, kastle fx 9?, and other durable metal charger skis in that width.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Nearly same for me re back issues tele vs alpine.

I don’t have answer to your dd question. I’m on similar quest, but the head monster 98 is on my short list along with mantra m5, kastle fx 9?, and other durable metal charger skis in that width.
    My closest DDs so far this season are DPS Foundation 106 in mid-180s. Don’t love the no camber (tail rocker sucks on tele) but do like the weight and maneuverability. No metal but carbon seems to help with breakage - no issues yet.

Also have Monster 98s and for what I ski, they’re meh. Crazy damp and stable, pretty fun to rail GS turns, but blah everywhere else and so damn heavy. If I was doing it again I wouldn’t attempt them as all-mountain, get the 88s instead, and use them mostly on front side.