Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Daily driver recs

or powertrack 89's over on gear swap!

Aren't back issues the perfect excuse to not ski bumps? Works for me anyway.

Hard to not ski bumps and still have fun here at WP.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I came in here to make a joke about ski recommendations. But I can see you're a tele-skier.

Cracking a joke seems redundant.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

I like to ski. Hope you do too.

Daily driver recs

Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    My closest DDs so far this season are DPS Foundation 106 in mid-180s. Don’t love the no camber (tail rocker sucks on tele) but do like the weight and maneuverability. No metal but carbon seems to help with breakage - no issues yet.

Also have Monster 98s and for what I ski, they’re meh. Crazy damp and stable, pretty fun to rail GS turns, but blah everywhere else and so damn heavy. If I was doing it again I wouldn’t attempt them as all-mountain, get the 88s instead, and use them mostly on front side.
    Thanks for input on the heads.

The (only-ha!) problem with tele is I can’t find demos of these skis.

Moment commander 98 are also on my list. The prior patrols also sound great (but really expensive).

I have two tele boards in regular usage with tail rocker: Bibby and l138. I like them both. But it seems like many tele skiers don’t like tail rocker.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 03-27-2019 at 12:26 AM.

Don’t love the no camber (tail rocker sucks on tele)
    Just curious, what tail rockered skis have you ridden, and what was the undesired effect related to the telemark turn?

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    Just curious, what tail rockered skis have you ridden, and what was the undesired effect related to the telemark turn?
    Gotama, Squad 7, Powderboards in the past; Wailer Foundation 106 and Dynafit Hokkaido now. I can tolerate the Wailers. Hokkaido seem to do fine, maybe because of their more centered mount position (more tail).

Generally I have a really low, and long, stance; weighting the tail of my downhill ski at the apex of the turn can make me feel out of balance. Might be that I ski too short though - the Gotamas were 183, Squad 7 180, Powderboards 185. Wailers 185 and Hokkaido 190. I’m 6-3, 185lb.

Gotama, Squad 7, Powderboards in the past; Wailer Foundation 106 and Dynafit Hokkaido now. I can tolerate the Wailers. Hokkaido seem to do fine, maybe because of their more centered mount position (more tail).

Generally I have a really low, and long, stance; weighting the tail of my downhill ski at the apex of the turn can make me feel out of balance. Might be that I ski too short though - the Gotamas were 183, Squad 7 180, Powderboards 185. Wailers 185 and Hokkaido 190. I’m 6-3, 185lb.
    Makes sense given your style. People parrot that around the web that "tail rocker sucks for tele" and I believed it for a long time before getting on some significantly tail rockered skis (pb&js, deathwishes) that totally changed my mind. I find that the easy to release tail only accentuates the surfyness of the tele turn. Midway through a turn I can very easily adjust turn radius and get more sideways/ slarve it out to control speed in tight spots. Skiing switch is also much easier with proper tail rocker as opposed to just a half or even full twin. I'd love to get on some fully reverse skis in the right conditons. I can imagine they would be downright epic. My stance is pretty low, but very compact and centered over both skis, so I don't experience the downhill-ski washout. Seems its more of a style/preference thing than a universal rule; I love tail rocker!

Daily driver recs

I learned to tele in Sierra cement on skinny skis, which was often an exercise on keeping momentum through my forward roles. Sometimes at the beginning of the season on skis with rocker tail, I have to consciously remind myself to stay forward on my downhill ski, especially in steep junky Sierra cement snow. For me, it’s a matter of older versus newer muscle memory.

A high speed tele stance slarve in a (nearly) reverse ski in deep snow is pretty awesome because you can get most of your body under the snow. It’s been 10years since I first experienced it, but I can still remember that moment. The conditions, location of the run, friend I was with, sensations, etc.

For a daily driver, I like skis that are stable a high speeds and with loooong radius and a stiffer tail, more of a tail than my 184 bibbys (and a narrower ski). But also something where the tail is loose enough for short radius in tight steep spots. And not hooky in junky snow. I appreciate damp and rebound.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 03-28-2019 at 03:04 PM.

I have had a lot of fun on my Nordica Enforcer 100's mounted with Outlaws this season. It feels like a pretty robust setup and I think it probably fits pretty well with what you are looking for... The flex seems to work well for me as a tele setup - I feel like it handles speed, but remains managable when you slow it down.

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    I came in here to make a joke about ski recommendations. But I can see you're a tele-skier.

Cracking a joke seems redundant.
    Dude, you're a skier from Texas that writes blogs about his "mogul tuned" skis. I think ski jokes about others aren't really an option for you.

Makes sense given your style. People parrot that around the web that "tail rocker sucks for tele" and I believed it for a long time before getting on some significantly tail rockered skis (pb&js, deathwishes) that totally changed my mind. I find that the easy to release tail only accentuates the surfyness of the tele turn. Midway through a turn I can very easily adjust turn radius and get more sideways/ slarve it out to control speed in tight spots. Skiing switch is also much easier with proper tail rocker as opposed to just a half or even full twin. I'd love to get on some fully reverse skis in the right conditons. I can imagine they would be downright epic. My stance is pretty low, but very compact and centered over both skis, so I don't experience the downhill-ski washout. Seems its more of a style/preference thing than a universal rule; I love tail rocker!
    Yep, tail rocker for tele is no problemo.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    For a daily driver, I like skis that are stable a high speeds and with loooong radius and a stiffer tail, more of a tail than my 184 bibbys (and a narrower ski). But also something where the tail is loose enough for short radius in tight steep spots. And not hooky in junky snow. I appreciate damp and rebound.
    Pretty much exactly describes how I feel about my 184 Wren 96's, minus the rebound (not much camber). They are damp, rail turns on edge, and have a decently long radius with very subtle tail rocker that makes them super easy to pivot in the steeps. I was skiing them in some funky partially refrozen spring glop today, and was having a much easier time than my buddies. The wrens are one of the least hooky skis I have ridden. I could use them as my one ski quiver and be pretty damn happy. I might want a Wren 108 if I lived in a particularly snowy climate (ideal one ski quiver would be the current w96 fattened up to 102). I don't really have a "daily driver" at this point because my time is pretty evenly split between these and the Deathwishes.

And yeah although I bust out the leathers and skinnies from time to time, I don't have years and years of muscle memory that isn't compatible with the more modern designs like some people do (I've only been dropping knees for 5 seasons).

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Dude, you're a skier from Texas that writes blogs about his "mogul tuned" skis. I think ski jokes about others aren't really an option for you.
    +1 haha

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._United_States

Pretty much exactly describes how I feel about my 184 Wren 96's, minus the rebound (not much camber). They are damp, rail turns on edge, and have a decently long radius with very subtle tail rocker that makes them super easy to pivot in the steeps. I was skiing them in some funky partially refrozen spring glop today, and was having a much easier time than my buddies. The wrens are one of the least hooky skis I have ridden. I could use them as my one ski quiver and be pretty damn happy. I might want a Wren 108 if I lived in a particularly snowy climate (ideal one ski quiver would be the current w96 fattened up to 102). I don't really have a "daily driver" at this point because my time is pretty evenly split between these and the Deathwishes.

And yeah although I bust out the leathers and skinnies from time to time, I don't have years and years of muscle memory that isn't compatible with the more modern designs like some people do (I've only been dropping knees for 5 seasons).
    Thanks.

Developing list of possibilities to replace older explosives. Love them. Big radius. They were my one ski quiver for several years.

Enforcers are also on the list.

After several years of being a ski tester (tele), I found that I could adapt my style to many types of skis, but there are certain types that I enjoyed more than others.

I like to ski. Hope you do too.
    Yeah man, I love skiing. I kinda like making fun of tele skiers. But, I'd like to be a tele skier one day, honestly. Looks like my kinda Hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Wait a minute, this is a tele thread??!? Love it!

I use bro fat 183 w axl for my DD, then for bigger pow I have 4frnt owl renegade w axl - heavy as fuck but oh so awesome to ski at speed.

I’ve got a set of voile vector Bc fish scales w switch back for mellow touring.

This season I locked the heel down for 25 days or so using elan ripstick 96 181 w ion bindings. Awesome ski.

Just grabbed this Kästle FX 85 181 and gonna put outlaws as I begin transition to ntn.

I feel like tele ripping inbounds is awesome and I’ll likely use the AT rig mostly for touring. It’s way less tiring and more confident to ski w heel locked but much more interesting and satisfying to tele at the resort.
    Last edited by jmedslc; 03-29-2019 at 09:31 AM.

My setups:
    resort:
    184 Moment Bibby / Rottefella Freeride
    182 Praxis Quixote / Freeride
    181 Kartel 108 / Freeride
    185 Armada Invictus 95 / Freeride

touring:
    175 BD Route 105 / Outlaw X
    177 Elan Lhotse / Switchback x2

Lol
    Resort:
    183 atomic 10.ex / O2
    180 explosive / targa
    184 bibby / O1
    172 atomic R9 / bulldogs
    192 l138 r1 / O1
    185 w95 / O1

Tour:
    192 l138 r1 / O1
    185 w95 / O1
    18? Glitterand (sp?) / SNS-BC

Garmont 4 buckles

I’m waiting (holding out) for the phantom holy grail burly touring boot before switching systems.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    Wait a minute, this is a tele thread??!? Love it!
    The OP looking for daily driver recs is a tele skier, so I guess it sorta is.

Inbounds:
    184 wren 96; Outlaws
    190 Deathwish; Outlaw X
    188 Megawatts; inserts for Outlaws
    Crispi Evo WC

Touring:
    178 Voile Supercharger; Meidjo
    Scarpa TX
    180 Voile Vector BC; diy TTS setup
    Bellowed Scarpa F1

I also have skins for the Deathwishes so they get brought out for shorter vert deep days or jumps/cliff hucks etc.

For the OP: I personally really appreciate a slightly narrower board when things are firm (hence the quiver), but I bet I could do everything I wanted on a wren 108, including touring even though they're heavy. If I were looking for a "daily driver" the bigger question would be whether to get 189 or 184.

Might as well join the party/thread drift/TTips revival.

Inbounds:
    - 186 ON3P Billy Goats with Freerides (pow or anything soft)
    - 182 Moment Belafontes with Freerides (daily drivers)
    - 165 Elan SLX with Freerides (icy groomer days)

BC:
    - 182 Chargers with Ions (formerly Freedoms)
    - 180 Vectors with Speed Turns (formerly Freedoms)
    - 160 Dynastar Pierra Mentas with Plum R150s

Finally got some (new) F1s and switched over all my BC gear to AT (aside from meadow skipping 3-pins) - I don't miss the extra weight of touring on tele gear. Still have fun with tele turns inbounds though.

Next DDs will probably be Wrenegades in either 96 or 108. My head says 96, my heart says 108.

Daily driver recs

Oh this is a tele thread? Carry on...

after seeing the full miedjo (tech toe tele w lockable heel) in action this year, i'd like to get myself some boots w a tech toe + heel and be able to move to that rig for slack days and some BC. i think my only option is crispi evo and i don't have access to those boots right now. my NTN boots are some older garmont prophet NTN and if i'm going to move to regular NTN use, i'll def need new boots.

also, on the boot front, i have witnessed first hand the use case for rotating thru multiple pairs of disciplines and boots - 75mm, NTN, AT - as my feet fare better through the season when i switch boots and pressure points.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    My setups:
    resort:
    184 Moment Bibby / Rottefella Freeride
    182 Praxis Quixote / Freeride
    181 Kartel 108 / Freeride
    185 Armada Invictus 95 / Freeride

touring:
    175 BD Route 105 / Outlaw X
    177 Elan Lhotse / Switchback x2
    I'm somewhat surprised that you don't have any Outlaw inbounds rigs. Does the freeride ski better for you in resort?