Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    If you decide to skinny-down back to a 98 width, Head Monster 88/98 can be had new for $400. If the Monster 98 was a dog in the sales department, the Monster 108 must have done even worse. .

PSA - check out a dealer in Sunriver Oregon called at "Dawgcatching.com" for Monster 88 & 98 at $400. Scott is "the man" there.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I'm exactly your height and weight. Go longer. My daily driver the last two seasons has been a 196 Moment Governor. Superb daily driver, and if you look can be had pretty reasonably. Flat tail, early rise, arc-able, float-able. First time in years I've only taken one pair of skis to the hill most of the time.
    Where did you mount your Govs? I just picked up a pair of 96s and the Moment demo pair seems to have vanished..

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    Where did you mount your Govs? I just picked up a pair of 96s and the Moment demo pair seems to have vanished..
    Right on the line and I like it just fine.

If you can afford it or get a deal, VWerks Katana handles everything with aplomb and tours well to boot. I also have the metal Katana that are now more rock skis but also excellent daily drivers except for touring.

While damp enough, I felt the Vwerks Katana deflected too much. Definitely felt like a light ski to me.

Daily driver recs

Don't disagree about the deflection but OP wanted something to occasionally tour in and there's that tradeoff. They're still pretty damp.

I was pretty impressed with the Fischer Ranger 96Ti and its relatively light I think. Haven't tried em in fresh snow, but the rocker profile looks like it'd work well. I was not a fan of the 108 though and when the rep told me the 96 was a totally different ski (much burlier), I didn't believe him. Glad I took it out anyway though - definitely a strong ski.

Narrower than you want though.

Can't edit posts with the new iphone app. I meant the 98ti.

Rc112
    Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on epicski or Paula's Ski Lovers, AltaNancy.

Buy my Iclandic Seekers and try them out. No metal I think, and in the lighter side. Not as damp as other metal laminate skis, but I found them to be plenty damp when on top of them at speed. Read the review thread I started. But I thought of it a possible daily driver. But I like a slight rocker in the tail (or twin) often enough that they are not for me. Enjoyed them in hard pack and snow up to 6". Never got them deeper, but the seemed like they would float fine. I'm about your weight. Range from 175-180ish, but think I ski heavier as well.

I recently rode the '17 Line 100 Supernatural in warm, spring slush. I was impressed by the lightweight and immediately thought it'd be a rad spring season side-country ski that could also function as a family ski. The very tip did deflect a bit, but the metal spine allowed me to overlook it. It wasn't about to fold by any means. That line might be worth a look, anyway.

Doesn't the Cochise own the sector you're seeking? I've never been on it, but it has quite the cult. Maybe too heavy?

Hihihihihihi

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    Well why not just get another ski to tour with?

184cm Head Monster 98 is probably the closest thing on the market to the old Mantra.
    Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    Good suggestion on the Monster 98. A buddy was skiing on them this weekend - it motivated my original post.

I have a dedicated (lightweight) touring rig but like to have the flexibility of something burlier when needed.
    I think the Fischer Motive 95ti is like the original Mantra with a bit of early rise. They are just as damp and stable as the og cambered Mantra but a little easier with the early rise tip. Probably a little lighter with the carbon in the core and the top metal laminate is fenestrated, still pretty heavy. I'm 6'5" @240 and I can't find a top end with the 186. I like them everywhere, groomers, ice, bumps(not the easiest), corn, crust and in less than a foot of new. You can find them cheap, I got mine from STP for $233 shipped. Look around, great reviews.

Thanks all. Got some Cham 2.0s. Will give a review once they're mounted.

Well, was going to post my review of my Cham 107 2.0s today after skiing (generally fun, float well, harder to rail on groomed than I'd like and a bit too playful but still keepers) BUT snapped a ski mid-turn today (literally just skiing, didn't fall). Anyone else have issues with durability? This was day 3 on them. And 3 half-days at that. Didn't buy from a dealer so hope Dynastar has a generous warranty.

Well, was going to post my review of my Cham 107 2.0s today after skiing (generally fun, float well, harder to rail on groomed than I'd like and a bit too playful but still keepers) BUT snapped a ski mid-turn today (literally just skiing, didn't fall). Anyone else have issues with durability? This was day 3 on them. And 3 half-days at that. Didn't buy from a dealer so hope Dynastar has a generous warranty.
    I have 10 days of hard and fast skiing on my pair of 189s. I'd hit up Dynastar and see what's up. They shouldn't break after 3 days.

I think the recommended line is too far forward, 183s ski better at 1cm back and the 189s at 1.5cm back. Groomer performance is significantly improved at that mark and the ski takes on a slightly less playful and more chargey feel.

Daily driver recs

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I have 10 days of hard and fast skiing on my pair of 189s. I'd hit up Dynastar and see what's up. They shouldn't break after 3 days.

I think the recommended line is too far forward, 183s ski better at 1cm back and the 189s at 1.5cm back. Groomer performance is significantly improved at that mark and the ski takes on a slightly less playful and more chargey feel.
    Thanks Leavenworth Skier. Mount point is at recommended. Will move back if Dynastar is kind and I get another pair. Break point is exactly at the front mount point of the 22D Vice that are mounted. Clearly too much pressure at that point - broke at the apex of a GS turn moving pretty quick. Haven't broken a ski with tele bindings in years. Didn't expect the next break to be on these.
    Last edited by ski-wpk; 02-02-2017 at 10:06 PM.

Dynastar hooked me up with a (new to me) single ski - mounted at -1.5 and they ski waaaay better.

I rode Leavenworth Skier's 189's for a few runs during 17BBI. It's a solid ski. I had fun on them while trying to keep up with him.

Not sure what my issue is but just broke another Cham 108. This time truly "just skiing along." At Bachelor today and was skiing 8" over groomed, nice smooth turns. I did have my 4 yo daughter in my arms (snow too deep for her) so another 40 lbs on my skis, but still. Was really taking it easy and heard them pop mid-turn.

Not sure what my issue is but just broke another Cham 108. This time truly "just skiing along." At Bachelor today and was skiing 8" over groomed, nice smooth turns. I did have my 4 yo daughter in my arms (snow too deep for her) so another 40 lbs on my skis, but still. Was really taking it easy and heard them pop mid-turn.
    That's nuts, I have easily 30+ days of hard skiing on mine and they are still solid. Did you break the new or the old ski?

Broke the old ski - the match to the ski I broke a few weeks ago. Wondering whether a small production run was just crap. Core just won't hold screws...

Broke the old ski - the match to the ski I broke a few weeks ago. Wondering whether a small production run was just crap. Core just won't hold screws...

Note: the pic above is 7 runs after they broke. Original break was small. Just skied them until they skied no more.

hah. ballsy.

OK, back at it. I know I'm in TT and not GS but after two broken pair of Cham 107s this season I'm looking for a 100-110ish underfoot daily driver that is not a Dynastar. 185ish length.

Mantra, Head Monster 98 , etc. Stiff flex, able to arc on the front side, flat tail. Favorite ski in the last decade is probably 2012 era Mantra.

Looking for something in 8/10+ condition with no more than one set of holes, or mounted for 22D Vice. Tall order I know.

What's out there?