Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: RIP Mitch Weber

I got a broken calcaneus I'm still healing, so I'd have to be at any Eastside meetup in spirit. Small possibility I'll be skiing by the end of May, but not counting on it.

(I was SCUTSKI on that board--and this one until I changed it in 2009--for anybody who didn't know.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I remember most of the posters in this thread were regulars on TTips ten or so years ago. There was a huge correlation between the rise of TTips and the growth and maturation of the sport. While I would never say that it was entirely because of TTips, the rise and fall of Telemark in the industry and the rise and fall of that great site were closely linked. We lost a vital link to the industry when Mitch stepped out of that role. Telemarkers will always be outsiders in the sport of skiing, but only serves to strengthen the kinship and community we share. Mitch did so much to help vitalize our sport, I can't think who in the industry will ever promote the sport like he did again. Not working directly for the industry made his a unique voice outside the marketing messages that dominated the internet back then.

I for one will do something, maybe even telemark a bit, in honor of Mitch this weekend. I intend to share a pic, and a thought or two in this thread. I encourage anyone who benefited from Mitch's generous altruism to our sport to join me.
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    When I did twice the work for half the control, I was a whiny little bitch

The man had passion. His site hooked me up with a lot of fine folks.

The list is long, but several here are from those days, Danno, Robrox, Tri, WOW, teleymike, the list just goes on.

RIP peace man, glad I got to ski with ya!

Long live Ttips!
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Vaya con dios, brother.

I posted under my full name on that site- Jacquelyne- as I was repping for a few tele brands at that time- K2, Garmont, and Rottefella. My industry buddies that didn't tele used to mock the site not knowing how the community really packed a punch when it came down to it. It's all due to Mitch. Even in the drama threads, I loved it when he would chime in to tamp things down a bit. Remember the O2 thread?

Glad I met him a few times in SLC. His presence was large.

It's amazing how many more of you I met than I can currently remember. Good to see some of you on here. Even in his death Mitch is still bringing folks together.

Shit, I had no idea Larry was Woolbury! Ha!

I remember digging the Mitch and BT ski reviews back in the day Lucky enough to get to know and break bread / drink beer with the crew in later years. Thoughts are definitely with his family, it was pretty obvious he was crazy in love with them. Could always count on seeing his smiling face at Mammoth; I'll miss that. Pic from way back :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	146_4698.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	845.5 KB 
ID:	179496  

RIP Good Sir. I wasted may hours on TT.

David Witherspoon to the white courtesy telephone please! Paging Mr David Witherspoon!
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Ridgehippy, nice picture!
    2005?
    We are having a bbq at Chair 2 on Saturday to celebrate a few birthdays including Mitch's .
    If anyone is around please stop by. Should have front row parking hopefully.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    was rippin up the deer valleys today with a tele crew
    and ran into and skied with tri unglate today
    and made some pow turns in celebration of his life and snow
    turdeo summited his uac ob as meynerd g crebs
    shame only a few have witnessed the famous loudmouthed obnoious east coast hit counter internet sensation and professional expert avvy guru spraggart
    in action irl
    its a sight
    I was saddened to get a text from my friend Keith today. When I 1st met Mitch Weber and introduced myself he laughed out loud and told me I was the best thing ever for the hit counter at his web site Telemark Tips. Half the world loved me and the other 80% seemed to hate me, I called it like it was and let all of the famous internet skiers know they were not as great as they thought they were. Mitch was a great guy who should be remembered for ushering in the internet to the ski world, I don't always think that this is a great thing but hats off to you Mitch, you deserve some great recognition.

The least I could do was ski a 1st descent in an obscure mountain range for you brother, may the journey beyond be filled with light and deep powder!

RIP!

Todd
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

That was a pretty great alias.

Chucky Gross was a great handle too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Photo Taken by Mitch and Posted on TTips.

Thank you for the great ski memories.
    RIP Sir.

Name:  17855_102274643133656_1855537_n.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  48.3 KB
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Never met him but I somehow stumbled across t-tips when I gave up boarding and started dropping a knee. I owe that site and the community a debt of gratitude for pumping up the tele stoke and teaching me how to tele over the Internet. I spent hours upon hours watching the how to videos and the "critique my style" videos. I'd then go out and do face plants while trying to emulate them. I wonder if I would have actually stuck with it had I not gotten the direction I did from that site.

I think I'll celebrate his life by tele skiing Big Sky all next week. Ok, I was going to do that anyway, but I'll make some nice fat high speed turns for Mitch. Maybe they will even be pow turns, I imagine his favorite type.

Rip Mitch, vibes to the Tele tribe.
    watch out for snakes

20+ yrs of turns with Mitch. I found out a while back that he was in the final stages, past the point where addl treatments made sense, and it hit me hard. Would be cool to have a meetup at VA lakes later this spring.

Speaking of VA lakes, I have this real clear memory of a Ttips gathering there in 2004 I think when a few of us incl Mitch found outstanding corn skiers left on the main bowl, and later that afternoon he opened the van doors and blasted a mix tape while we quaffed brews and watched Luke hitting a steepish line.

In some ways it was just another perfect E Sierra day but it stands out like a postcard. We talked for hours about things light, and heavy. There was a couple dozen ttipsters there I guess...Seki, Kara (think that was the Das Boot incident)...by 10 or so people were crashing out from the combination of exercise, sun, and alcohol. Mitch was going strong as always, but was wearing his subdued brand of gregariousness.

Goodnight Mitch.

Never got to ski with the man, however, I wasted hours on his site in the late 90's early 2000's. I had moved alone to a strange city and had taken up tele skiing during my shop rat days. As I crossed the threshold to adulthood, TTips kept me connected to my old self to some degree. I had a new wife and new babies and yet I stilled dreamed of being a ski bum again. I would pore over reviews, read the forums and I even swapped some gear on there. Sucks to hear about the Cancer and a life cut too short. It really was a unique time. I hung up the tele boards around 2006/2007 with the purchase of a pair of Volkl Mantras and I havent looked back. Sold off the Garmont Tele boots shortly after. Never cared much about the whole NTN scene and slowly drifted away from TTips. Sorry for all that persnally knew him.

Mammoth Mini - Spring of 2006 - Such good times with so many great folks.
    I'll be there in spirit if not in body on Saturday; gonna remember to enjoy the birthdays we're given.
    Celebrating the life Mitch lived is sure to bring out some great memories. I'd expect some beers, some tears, and a lot of laughter.

Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    Ridgehippy, nice picture!
    2005?
    We are having a bbq at Chair 2 on Saturday to celebrate a few birthdays including Mitch's .
    If anyone is around please stop by. Should have front row parking hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post

In some ways it was just another perfect E Sierra day but it stands out like a postcard. We talked for hours about things light, and heavy. There was a couple dozen ttipsters there I guess...Seki, Kara (think that was the Das Boot incident)...by 10 or so people were crashing out from the combination of exercise, sun, and alcohol. Mitch was going strong as always, but was wearing his subdued brand of gregariousness.

Goodnight Mitch.
    That was a great weekend. Let's make it happen again in honor of the man who brought many of us together for good times -- and always a bit of debauchery.

RIP Mitch. You are missed but never forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    So I think we need to do a global paddle-out for Mitch. Base it out of Mammoth sometime this Spring. We can tie it in with folks from all over the map. One big fat tele turn for Mitch.

Ironic that I dropped my tele handle recently.

Bob Maz, Steelman, Hop, AlpineDad, riser3, seki, Light Ranger, Gunks Ray, Twins, FHW, E, funhog,
    Don't forget NurseBen.

RIP Mitch.

And who's idea was it to hide this in some sub-forum??? I don't get out of the PR much...
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Would be cool to have a meetup at VA lakes later this spring.
    I always intended to make it to one of those, then they stopped happening. We started a similar thing at Indy Pass that went strong for a lot of years. Doubt I'd be able to make it, have a family now, but I hope it happens regardless.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I always intended to make it to one of those, then they stopped happening. We started a similar thing at Indy Pass that went strong for a lot of years. Doubt I'd be able to make it, have a family now, but I hope it happens regardless.
    I think it was 11 years straight when it petered out with me, piper, stinky, Brenda, and Rebecca. Lots of memories and descents. Remember the first year on the road to the camp with bondo and the banner? Good times.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

RIP Mitch Weber

I dropped the knees all day today at tla resort in Sierra cement thinking of Mitch, one of the prophets of the great turn.

Because I could, I also ended the day switch to the road.... Well actually, a parking lot....

It was not full on "check me out I'm ripping" quality because there were not three separate people filming, but it was a really great day!
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 03-30-2016 at 06:17 PM.

So sad. T-Tips was a great haven, source of valuable information and probably a big reason it took me so long to finish my dissertation--it was so much more interesting than writing.

Found a TTips sticker and properly pasted it on my shell....
    RIP Mitch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1459399257579.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	179566  

I took a group of telemarkers from cali skiiing at hill and was presented with a "telemarking is stupid" sticker which i put on my helmet
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know