Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: RIP Mitch Weber

Rip Mitch. Skied a lot of runs with people I met off TTips.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

I'm just crushed by this. I can't even begin to imagine what my life would be like without Mitch and TTips, how many memories I owe to him. Camping on Indy Pass, Francie's Cabin in May, Drinko de Mayo at the Basin, all the great ski days I have had with friends I made from TTips. Probably invited at least 20 people to my wedding that I originally met on TTips. And there's at least one TTips wedding (and 2 cute TTips kiddos), great people brought together by his site.

Mitch invited me to come stay and ski with him at Mammoth, and I always meant to take him up on that. I always thought I would cross paths with him, get to meet him in person, share some turns and stories and maybe a beer. I hope his family is ok.

If anyone finds memorial info, please post it up.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Wow. Had no idea. Good guy from a few emails we swapped. He wrote once or twice when I was posting photos of lousy "fast grass" in PA... Told me he was glad I was getting out no matter what. His openness and passion were inspiring.

Wow. Haven't checked this site in some time and saw this thread. Ttips launched my internet addiction and propelled my skiing addiction.

RIP Mitch- thanks for the community.

Damn tough to hear
    I'm only at this place cuz that place faded
    Fond memories of ttips gatherings at va lakes years ago
    ++++ vibe to his fam and big Tim
    Keep on shining

i went on a ttips trip in 04 to jackson, on a whim and knowing no one

great people, we had a blast, it snowed a foot a day for 3 days straight.

i'm lucky to have many good friends and people in my life, and i met people on that trip who became life long friends.

mitch showed up i believe, was a cool guy for sure. bummed when one of the above mentioned friends told me today.

thanks mitch, you brought us together.

I really don't know what to say, but thanks Mitch for bringing a bunch of strangers together to talk about something as meaningless as a ski turn and making something happen that was so much bigger than that.

Sad RIP Mitch and vibes for all his close friends.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Do you remember that he used to post to rec.skiing.backcountry under his wife's, Laurie, account? He got it figured out eventually.
    I remember those days. Thanks for rekindling those memories.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I met a lot of great folks on Ttips.

Makers, MS, cesare, VT, Big Tim, DaHeel, Aqua Toque, Svengali, Danno, Rontele, Tri Ungulate, Mr Powder, BCrider, WOW, cj,
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Yup. And that chick from AK. I forget her name.

Mitch created a stoke central that brought a lot of people together.

His big ole smile, never taking anything too seriously, even when under fire.

He figured shit out. I'll miss him.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

So I think we need to do a global paddle-out for Mitch. Base it out of Mammoth sometime this Spring. We can tie it in with folks from all over the map. One big fat tele turn for Mitch.

Ironic that I dropped my tele handle recently.

Bob Maz, Steelman, Hop, AlpineDad, riser3, seki, Light Ranger, Gunks Ray, Twins, FHW, E, funhog,
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

His impact on so many of us is apparent from so many threads on so many forums. The TTIps family may have dispersed but the force is strong with us.
    I never let my schooling interfere with my education.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    been thrown outta better places
    but it all waters under a snow coverd bridge
    maybe ski ya round in the everlastin white rooms someday
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Ahh, fuck cancer!

Didn't spend much time on ttips since my tele days had passed.

Quote Originally Posted by gorms View Post
    Ttips launched my internet addiction and propelled my skiing addiction.
    Yup. Sad news, RIP.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Damn. I got started backcountry skiing from that site. Was Maphead on there. Met Sierra Fred up on Carson Pass with new skins and no idea what I was doing.

Anyone remember the 'Check Me Out I'm Ripping' drama? Good times! And Steelman's AT anonymous remains a classic.

Mitch seemed like a really solid dude. He created a great community. RIP.

RIP Mitch. Thanks for giving us knee-droppers a place to hide. Met some great people at the old site, and the knowledge there was impressive.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    So I think we need to do a global paddle-out for Mitch. Base it out of Mammoth sometime this Spring. We can tie it in with folks from all over the map. One big fat tele turn for Mitch.
    I like this idea.

I think Larry (Woolbury) is going to incorporate something into the Corn Harvest on April 30th.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by gorms View Post
    Wow. Haven't checked this site in some time and saw this thread. Ttips launched my internet addiction and propelled my skiing addiction.

RIP Mitch- thanks for the community.
    Same. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    And Steelman's AT anonymous remains a classic.
    damn, that was a walk down memory lane.

I stumbled into telemark turns a few years after a mid-life introduction to cross-country skiing. My skiing friends were resort skiers. Ttips helped open the door to a larger world of telemark skiing and mountain winters (and springs).But for Mitch, I would have missed out on a lot of good times, gear obsession and backcountry attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Damn tough to hear
    I'm only at this place cuz that place faded
    Fond memories of ttips gatherings at va lakes years ago
    ++++ vibe to his fam and big Tim
    Keep on shining
    Hope you’re well, Gimpy. The VA Lakes trips were a real gas.

Only met Mitch once or twice, condolences to Big Tim, his friends, and family.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Met some great people at the old site, and the knowledge there was impressive.
    QFT