Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Air compressor for the home mechanic.

Some of you must know about air compressors. My ghetto harbor freight one has finally given up the ghost after 6 years, which was about 5 years longer than I expected it to last. I mainly used it to inflate car and bike tires, run a couple light air tools, (which it never really put out enough air to do). But now that it has kicked the bucket and I am a full grown adult with a decent income, I would like to buy a good value air compressor with some room to grow. Do I want to learn to paint? Run a decent air impact? Inflate tires without recharging and waking the baby above the garage?
    Help me figure out what to get. I am budget oriented as the bmw and Porsche both need new tires (major first world problem).
    Was just at home depot poking around while there for something else and they had a decent size looking husky (probably cheap) for $299.
    sigless.

Check craigslist for somebody who bought a nice one and never used it.

Bought a Husky like you're talking when I built my house, it lasted just long enough to get the house built before it shit the bed. Cheap diaphragm pump is why it didn't last.

My 2 cents would be to go lighter and cheaper knowing it won't last, or spend a little more and get a cast iron oiled pump like a v-twin or conventional engine looking pump.

I've had this Porter Cable one for a couple years now, it's been fine for use about equal to yours, easy to use, plenty of pressure, and it's certainly cheap enough, I'd recommend it: http://amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-C2002...air+compressor

Research is saying oiled is quieter.
    Also, about 30 gal seems to be a sweet spot for garage use. Research continues.
    sigless.

Been speculating on making a similar purchase. I'm thinking the CL approach suggested by black diamonds is the way to go. Oil seems to make sense but How much HP, how many gallons etc. stymies me.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Ice, I think a decent impact requires more cfm than that. I'm thinking like closer to 7cfm @ 90psi
    sigless.

This looks interesting. http://m.sears.com/craftsman-26-gall...p-00916471000P
    I searched ksl, and didn't see much interesting used at the moment. I buy lots of used stuff, but a few things I like to buy new and get a warranty. Starting to think this is one. This sears is only 26gal,and 3.8scfm, but might be all I need.
    sigless.

I think it was bobmc who posted that home mechanics probably don't generally need an expensive air compressor because they should be working low and slow anyway so just make sure you really need it before blowing a bunch of cash. I swapped the shortblock in my car and never once used air even though I have a 3/8 air wrench. It is probably junk but my Bostitch pancake that came with a couple nail guns has been running for years and I use it a lot. A nice Milwaukee 1/2 electric impact wrench for tires and knocking loose rusted stuff...quiet and smooth and a million times nicer than the harbor freight eiw I burned up. One thing I did do was buy a sweet 50 ft long Goodyear rubber hose for my compressor...it moves tons of air and it is awesome leaving the compressor in the back of my garage while filling up tires in the driveway. I don't have a Porsche though. You do so you probably should have a sick compressor to match!

I had a nice big old Champion compressor, with two pistons which looked like a v-twin motorcycle engine. I blew it up doing something stupid and had to get a replacement pronto so I bought a Makita MAC5200. It is a 3hp, 5.2 gallon compressor with a 6.5 cfm rating. It works really well for household and job work, like filling tires and running air nailers, but it will not run my 1/2" impact gun for long at all. If I have a few frozen lug nuts, I have to wait for it to air up. My impact gun is a POS though, so maybe it is not the compressor's fault.

You need to look at what tool you want to run and figure what size you need for that job. They make it pretty easy nowadays to match the compressor to the job. Lot of it boils down to the pressure, flow rate and volume or reservoir you will need.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    This looks interesting. http://m.sears.com/craftsman-26-gall...p-00916471000P
    I searched ksl, and didn't see much interesting used at the moment. I buy lots of used stuff, but a few things I like to buy new and get a warranty. Starting to think this is one. This sears is only 26gal,and 3.8scfm, but might be all I need.
    I have an older version of that compressor, from around 2001. Works fine still, will run an impact or ratchet with plenty of power. Noisy (oil less) but that's to be expected.

FYI, Harbor Freight is a great source for air tool parts, like hoses, fittings, connectors, etc. I haven't used any HF air tools though.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Yeah I've had one of those 50ft hoses for years now, critical piece. I have just found myself using the air a bit, and wanting to do a bit more, and thought that bigger gives more options. I have swapped engines, swapped trannies, etc.. Auto paint interests me a bit, and if a good 3/8 ratchet could speed things up, that'd be cool. I already have a beefy 18v cordless Dewalt impact from my racing days (hope they come back again) that will break most shit loose.
    sigless.

Quincy 80 gal. stationary two-stage. Should do the trick.

I've had a basic Craftsman 30 gal 4cfm for at least 20 years. Can I run an impact for minutes at a time? No. But it still works and does most everything I've asked of it. Yea, sometimes you have to wait for it to recharge. If I had a more powerful setup I'd probably start breaking things. Btw, for me I find the 3/8 air ratchet to be almost useless. Too big to fit in a lot of places. Too little torque for stuck stuff. Too slow to just spin stuff off quickly. I'm glad I have it and it does get used just not very often.

bmw and porsche? If your serious about working on your German metal, buy yourself some Hazet metric tools plus a torque wrench! those are precision German cars! not heavy equipment
    home garage air wrenches are for meatheads, warping brake rotors and for breaking off rusty bolts!
    Most really useful pneumatic tools such as drills,die grinders, hammers, sanders, crudbusters need huge airflow which require big, expensive, noisy 3phase 220-240 power supplies, large tank compressors.
    Modern HVLP Paint guns need lots of clean dry air which adds more cost- Then a heated, ventilated paint booth with supplied breathing air is pretty handy for highend results and longterm health. Automotive epoxy paint is really toxic shit which shouldn't be offgasing upstairs into the baby's room unless your wanting to breed Cruz voters. If Money is no object start with one of these!

Kaeser AirTower 5c
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Why aren't the Dentist's chiming in? They run multiple air compressors daily. Weak sauce..

Also, if you pay someone to blow out your sprinkler system, you may find it worth the $ to upgrade to a larger compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by VTeton View Post
    Also, if you pay someone to blow out your sprinkler system, you may find it worth the $ to upgrade to a larger compressor.
    I use my undersized compressor to blow out my sprinklers all the time. It just takes a while.

I have a Cabell Hausfield 22 gal, 5 hp, unit that I got a Home Depot (or similar) 20+ years ago. Noisy as hell, but more then adequate for home use. Easy to roll around the house as need, but not too portable if you want to take it places. I run air tools, chisels, nail guns, impact wrenches, paint sprayers, et al, and never lacked for air. I am terrible about maintaining it, and know the tank is going to rust out someday, but it hasn't yet in over 20 years.

I have done a ton of your typical do it yourself projects around the home, and it was never the rate limiting step. If you have the scratch go oil for better, quieter motor, but for a budget tool mine has been great. The only thing I will add is get lots of hose. It is easier then moving it around. I can now leave mine in the garage and reach anywhere in the house and yard. Oh, and I just use the cheap standard fittings, but that can be a nice upgrade.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Air compressor for the home mechanic.

As fascinating as this all is ..,
    TECH TALK, JONGZ!!!!
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Svengali View Post
    Automotive epoxy paint is really toxic shit which shouldn't be offgasing upstairs into the baby's room unless your wanting to breed Cruz voters.
    Have we reached a point where you can't get away from politics in a thread about air compressors?

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    You need to look at what tool you want to run and figure what size you need for that job.
    This

My 23 y.o. 30 gallon Campbell Hausfeld has held up well. I expect it to poop out one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    As fascinating as this all is ..,
    TECH TALK, JONGZ!!!!
    The Ref would call unnecessary roughness on this play.

TT is for skiing tech, everything else goes in PR. iceman established this a long time ago.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Svengali View Post
    bmw and porsche? If your serious about working on your German metal, buy yourself some Hazet metric tools plus a torque wrench! those are precision German cars! not heavy equipment
    home garage air wrenches are for meatheads, warping brake rotors and for breaking off rusty bolts!
    Most really useful pneumatic tools such as drills,die grinders, hammers, sanders, crudbusters need huge airflow which require big, expensive, noisy 3phase 220-240 power supplies, large tank compressors.
    Modern HVLP Paint guns need lots of clean dry air which adds more cost- Then a heated, ventilated paint booth with supplied breathing air is pretty handy for highend results and longterm health. Automotive epoxy paint is really toxic shit which shouldn't be offgasing upstairs into the baby's room unless your wanting to breed Cruz voters. If Money is no object start with one of these!

Kaeser AirTower 5c
    This was a useful post. I see the truth in the tight places and air wrenches. No air wrench will fit anywhere inside the engine bay of my 951. I've thought about importing a small foreign child to use their hands in the tight places. The air wrench might be more useful wrenchin on the cruiser.
    Just got to work and am talking to my buddy who paints motorcycles and a bunch of other stuff, (he painted some wheels for my car, and also my mountain bike frame and fork legs) and he is using a husky one from home depot, 33gal tank, v twin compressor, oiled, and they are about $430 right now. More than I want to spend, but might make sense, oiled = longer life, quieter life.

Hadn't thought about blowing out the sprinkler system, but the place we live in now, definitely has a sprinkler system....

As for the tech talk request............

sigless.

The one I am getting:

Puma- 40 Gal 208/230V Dual Stage

The one I have-
    Husky 33 Gal- 120 V

The Husky works pretty well, but it is loud as hell, and constantly runs. That Puma will be much quieter, compact, and will run my grinders, wrenches, and paint guns forever. Still trying to justify it for my Jeep paint project. Closely approaching the point where it would be cheaper to have it done professionally, but then I wouldn't learn anything. But then I also wouldn't fuck it up.