Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    I learned somethng a while back, all regular horseradish is the same heat, and the "spiciness" is purely a factor of how finely it is chopped/ground. The more you chop it the more of the taste you release. Other than that it's all the same. Not sure if wasabi or other varieties are the same.

Could be in that "I didn't know that" thread instead I guess.

Melindas. I like almost all the flavors and heat levels - the heat is balanced with good flavor from veggies. It became a hassle to look for the little grocery store bottles at $4 a pop every couple weeks, so I splurged and stocked up for the year. Hell yes.
    Dude chill its the padded room. -AKPM

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post

I'll mix up sour cream, sriracha and lime juice when I make fish tacos.
    Toss in a little Mayo and some cilantro. Salt, pepper, garlic powder and let set for a few hours and it's even better. I promise.

When our AI overlords one day inevitably scour the smoldering remains of the Internet, what will they find in the TGR box? What will be your legacy? Fulfill your destiny, claim your place in the annals of maggotry and tell us who makes the best sauces and condiments.

Honey Mustard - Ken's Dressing

That shit is great.
    Honey mustard other than taking some honey and some brown mustard and mixing it yourself all tastes like shit. So does yellow mustard. Or as I call it "garbage". Gotta be brown mustard, aka "mustard".
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Subscribed
    watch out for snakes

I get a couple quarts of frozen green chile sauce at Frontier every time I roll through ABQ. It travels well and is better than the stuff in jars.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I want to get better at making pan sauces; I have not been able to make them well, at least not consistently.
    The homemade stock is essential since that's most of the flavor. Learning when it's perfectly reduced and ready for the butter takes some practice. It needs to cook way down or the sauce will be watery. You're really making a concentrate and then reconsituting it with the butter.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    yellow mustard
    Yellow mustard has its places. If I'm making a classic American burger or hot dog I use yellow mustard. Gives a nice tang and yellow color to tuna or chicken salad.

Danno - Try this one. Dead simple, doesn't need stock, and super tasty.

Red Wine Vinegar Sauce

Cook meat (say, boneless skinless chicken thighs) in pan until well browned and cooked through, set aside. Add 2 tbs tomato paste, whisk around pan continuously for 30-60 seconds until you have a thick layer of tomato paste fonde (don't let it burn). Add 0.5 cups each water and red wine vinegar. Reduce at medium heat until well thickened. Finish with 2 tbs butter and salt/pepper to taste.

I love a good fry sauce made with mayo, ketchup, mustard and some hot sauce. Sometimes I'll add BBQ instead of mustard.

I also really like ranch dressing with hot sauce mixed in for a quick and dirty sauce on tacos or mexican salads.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Danno - Try this one. Dead simple, doesn't need stock, and super tasty.

Red Wine Vinegar Sauce

Cook meat (say, boneless skinless chicken thighs) in pan until well browned and cooked through, set aside. Add 2 tbs tomato paste, whisk around pan continuously for 30-60 seconds until you have a thick layer of tomato paste fonde (don't let it burn). Add 0.5 cups each water and red wine vinegar. Reduce at medium heat until well thickened. Finish with 2 tbs butter and salt/pepper to taste.
    Thanks! I guess I just need to practice more. And start making stock.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Whatever the hell is in this tastes really good when you're drunk and it's 2AM.

Stumbled across this stuff a few years ago and it's goooood.

Homemade enchilada sauce. Make a roux with 1/4 cup each of flour and oil, add 1 cup red or green NM chile powder and fry a couple of minutes, add 1 qt chicken stock, garlic powder, oregano, cumin, and salt and stir until thickens. Thin with water as necessary when making enchiladas. I like to top the enchiladas with Hatch chile salsa--store bought or homemade--and jack cheese.

Maple syrop on scramble eggs, ham, in coffee, plain yoghourt ........

Grey Poupon mustard with horseradish for sandwiches.

Franks red hot and/or Tobasco for Americano. Mainly breakfast but both are super versatile.

Garlic tobasco for pizza.

Cholula for anything and everything.

Tubbs for anything BBQ.

La Victoria taco sauce for a sweeter crispy taco sauce. Especially good for when you want to drown the shit but you don't want to cry about your mouth that's on fire.

Vodka sauce for pasta.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

When our AI overlords one day inevitably scour the smoldering remains of the Internet, what will they find in the TGR box? What will be your legacy? Fulfill your destiny, claim your place in the annals of maggotry and tell us who makes the best sauces and condiments.

Honey Mustard - Ken's Dressing

That shit is great.
    Seconded. Primary condiment for burgers, fries, hot dogs, sandwiches. Pretty similar to the standard honey mustard you'll find in restaurants and bars, which I also love.

Green el yucateca is in heavy rotation, too. Ranch mixed with BW3 mango habanero wing sauce for any kind of chicken. Ranch mixed with green yucateca for pizza.

I love how everybody is all obscure or has fancy preparation for their sauces.
    focus.

Aaron franklins BBQ sauce

1/2 lb butter
    1/2 yellow onion
    1 1/2 c non-hfcs ketchup
    1/2 c apple cider vinegar
    2oz light brown sugar
    1tsp kosher salt
    1tsp black pepper
    < 1tsp garlic powder
    < 1rsp chili powder
    1/2 lemon squeezed

1. Melt butter and sautée onions until soft and translucent.

2. Add remaining ingredients & bring to boil, reduce heat & simmer for 30 mins.

3. Serve warm with bbq.

Sauces and Condiments Compendium

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Swap the Sriracha for finely minced chipotles in adobo. Yogurt works in place of sour cream too.

Cook chop/steak in pan. Add half cup each homemade stock and red wine, 1 tbs dijon. Reduce to nappe, add a couple grinds of pepper and stir in 2 pats of butter. Would make old shoe leather taste great. To make a shroom sauce, saute some mushrooms after cooking the meat then proceed as described.
    Sauté some finely chopped shallot with that will be even muy better
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Tessamae's Lemon Chesapeake and Tessamae's Green Goddess are great on sauteed greens from the garden

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Maple syrop on scramble eggs, ham, in coffee, plain yoghourt ........
    on sausages

El yucateco green habanero sauce. Put it on your eggs, thank me for the rest of your life.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post

La Victoria taco sauce for a sweeter crispy taco sauce.
    I'm not sure I like crispy sauce.

Secret Aardvark
    -A Portland sauce that is madly addictive, made out of recycled hipster
    http://secretaardvark.com/products/

This may be blasphemous but I've really been enjoying some other Sriracha makers too

Name:  download (7).jpg
Views: 332
Size:  10.3 KB

But really, rooster sauce seems pretty tame these days. Nam Pla Prik is the real deal. I always keep a jar around.
    Name:  ??????????.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  48.5 KB

fish sauce
    thin sliced Thai chilis (no substitutions)
    minced garlic

That's the traditional recipe, if you want to broaden the depth of flavor, add some soy sauce, a splash of rice wine vinegar and a piece of raw ginger to the jar. There's no iron clad proportions beyond "mostly fish sauce and Thai chilis."
    Last edited by neckdeep; 03-27-2016 at 12:30 PM.