Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25
    Fender is currently offering 3 months of online lessons for free here. I picked up a guitar (Taylor Big Baby) last month and just started playing regularly again for the first time in over a decade, the lessons from Fender have been a huge help in getting back into it.

My only problem now is resisting the urge to buy an electric. Why do Les Pauls have to be so damn expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
    Quarantine Question open to all: What are some of your favorite things to play? I'm kind of stuck in a rut right now. Open to any suggestions/styles.
    I've been enjoying learning fingerstyle lately.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

I’d like to learn acoustic guitar but I’m a musical idiot when it comes to instruments. Should I try and learn the ukulele first since it’s easier and fun and just see if I even like a string instrument?

Learning guitar as an adult: lame or not?

Ukes are cheap so why not? There’s a million YouTube videos to teach you. No downside to learning to play an instrument. Except less screen time.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Mountain dulcimer. Anyone can make it sound good. Less margin of error than a uke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

I’m trying guitar and it’s fun.

getting my son some online bass lessons for his birthday from Norwood

https://youtu.be/HdOQjFagf4w
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

About the only downside I can see to to a uke as a gateway drug is that the standard tuning is different from a guitar, so you'd be learning chords all over again if you decided to switch.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

My fingertips are raw. Some of these contortions seem pretty ridiculous at first. Which is where I am at.

It's good for ya. Right now within arms' reach I have guitars in at least four tunings besides standard. Good way to get to know your way around a fretboard. Fuck the uke tho. Get a dulcimer instead if you want to play something easy that's impossible to make sound bad.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    About the only downside I can see to to a uke as a gateway drug is that the standard tuning is different from a guitar, so you'd be learning chords all over again if you decided to switch.

... Thom
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Just another perspective. I’m quite fluent on the guitar and I love playing the Ukulele. The chord shapes are the same, they just mean something different. You’ll build the muscle memory, you’ll just be in a different key. A tenor Uke is like playing a guitar capoed at the 5th fret. I have no experience with the dulcimer. Seems like the same idea. Cheap Light-hearted easy fun that travels well.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    It's good for ya. Right now within arms' reach I have guitars in at least four tunings besides standard. Good way to get to know your way around a fretboard. Fuck the uke tho. Get a dulcimer instead if you want to play something easy that's impossible to make sound bad.
    That’s what I hear. Trying some chords, but just making up some of my own that I am able to push down on to build up the skin. Watching some vids on fundamentals too.

You would be extremely limited to what you can do without playing chords. Just picking some stuff might entertain you for now, but that will get old. If you are only playing acoustic and just want to play some simple open chord songs, you could get by with not doing barre chords.You can learn some Guitar tips and tricks on https://www.weelinks.info/u/guitar/ this helped me along with some YouTube videos.Regards - Jen

I just bought a guitar and joined this club.

Congratulations. I hope you understand that if you get really good calluses on your fingers your cell phone won't work.

Furious masturbation has this potential also, or so I’ve heard, probably here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here to post in this very important thread:

My roommate was drilling this 50ish woman (he's also old so it's not an exciting cougar tale). She was learning guitar. Sometimes I would come home and she would be on the porch horribly strumming away. They would observe me calmly making a 3-point turn and peeling out (not really as I drive a Honda Civic), headed straight to the bar.

tl;dr: Don't do it.

60 something friend of mine, long time guitar player, recently managed to pick up pedal steel. He plays simply but quite well. Now THAT'S impressive.

Pretty sweet guitar made out of a pair of old Volkl Explosiv's being given away over the Mountain Gazette site: https://mountaingazette.com/pages/skitar

Last summer there was an older guy working lifts for pcmr who was playing a guitar that looked just like that through a 1w amp. He had it set with some odd open tuning and weird fret spacing. Good vibes for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    60 something friend of mine, long time guitar player, recently managed to pick up pedal steel. He plays simply but quite well. Now THAT'S impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Last summer there was an older guy working lifts for pcmr who was playing a guitar that looked just like that through a 1w amp. He had it set with some odd open tuning and weird fret spacing. Good vibes for sure.
    Probably the same builder. I think most of his creations are dulcimer-ish things.