Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Don't spend much time in the padded room, so I just noticed this thread. Tore my ACL this winter and decided getting back into playing guitar was a great way to occupy my mind. It's worked great and it's nice to engage my creative side. Flame away but I got a telecaster starter pack. The guitar is great, really unbelievable, squires out of Indonesia are really good. However the amp obviously sucks. I scored a cheap multieffects pedal and a prs standard for what seems like a give away. KSL classifieds have some great deals. But I really want a better sounding amp. I'm only playing for myself and don't need anything very loud. Just want something that works well with a pedal. What are the collectives recommendations? Also thinking of a acoustic. Any word on the washburn harvest series?

I've been jamming a 5w panama tube amp. Pretty cheap and sounds great. For an acoustic I'm playing an Eastman. It's inexpensive plays great and is all solid wood, great sound.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

My favorite "amp" is still my old Line 6 Pod. I have an Fractal AX8, but I'm usually turning on the Pod I bought for $45. Cheap isn't bad.

***UPDATE ON THE GIBSON RD SAGA***

The guitars that I re-packed (PROPERLY - not loose and fucked up like I received them) and sent out to the rightful owner will be received by him today. Mine...well...they haven't even shipped yet.

The two guitars I sold on Monday - they will be in the hands of their new owners tomorrow and Friday. Today is day 15 since I paid him.

This is truly special.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Those pods. Can they run directly into a cab? I'm on the fence about what to bring with me to AK this summer and i have been thinking about picking up a pod.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Those pods. Can they run directly into a cab? I'm on the fence about what to bring with me to AK this summer and i have been thinking about picking up a pod.
    Needs a power amp of some kind.
    Gravity. It's the law.

That's what I was afraid of. That Vox Tonelab I had would go straight to speaker but it's gone now.

Really? The one I had wouldn't... ?
    Gravity. It's the law.

Something like the various Ethos's would work. They've been getting good "press" for quite some time. It's always been something I've been curious about, but I already have three amps.

http://www.customtonesinc.com/amps.html

They make a range of cool products designed for musicians who need a light rig for "fly dates". Basically, they have three different preamps (clean, fusion, & overdrive), with or without power amps.

Another company that's really hot in this category is Quilter Amps.

http://www.quilterlabs.com

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-26-2017 at 01:35 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quilter has a loyal following.

You can get a couple options in a pedal sized power amp from Electro Harmonix - the 44 Magnum gets great reviews.

I used an ISP Theta preamp with an ISP Stealth power amp for a bit. Sounded really good, and really compact , but kinda spendy.

You could always just grab a Line 6 Flextone combo too - not much better bang for the buck out there in my opinion. Less than $200 most the time.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by sgsbet86 View Post
    Also thinking of a acoustic. Any word on the washburn harvest series?
    I have not touched a harvest series but I do have a Washburn EA20SDL Festival series and a D-43 that I picked up for a song on craigslist. Granted, I am still a noob, but my player friends are always impressed with them.

I had a MartiD-18 but was always to worried about banging it up. I wanted something inexpensive and sounded good, Washburn fit the bill.
    Last edited by FLS; 04-26-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    My favorite "amp" is still my old Line 6 Pod. I have an Fractal AX8, but I'm usually turning on the Pod I bought for $45. Cheap isn't bad.

***UPDATE ON THE GIBSON RD SAGA***

The guitars that I re-packed (PROPERLY - not loose and fucked up like I received them) and sent out to the rightful owner will be received by him today. Mine...well...they haven't even shipped yet.

The two guitars I sold on Monday - they will be in the hands of their new owners tomorrow and Friday. Today is day 15 since I paid him.

This is truly special.
    I emailed him at 7:42 am this morning after I figured out that nothing has happened yet, and texted him at 12:48 telling him to check his email. It's 2:39 now. I told him they need to be moving or refunded by 6PM CST.

Crickets.

So the latest. He finally emails at 3:52 pm. The other buyer was going to try to get my guitars to shipping today (which didn't happen). Said the shipping labels were printed Monday - LIE - they were printed Tuesday. "If they don't go today, worst case, tomorrow".

I email and tell him unacceptable. Refund me today. I gave you more third chances than I should have. He should have had the labels on Saturday. If I had his guitars on Saturday, how is it that he supposedly didn't get mine until today - LIE.

He emails back - "The labels weren't printed because you didn't want the guitars until I gave you the additional $XXX off the price. We were closed Sunday, so it couldn't be sent out then (BS - you can send out a label ANY day online at ANY hour!). I don't know why they took longer to get to TX - maybe because he was making sure he got his guitars. He tried to drop them off but was 5 min late. I will refund your money after I get the guitars back from TX as soon as I can".

I reply - don't you even DARE to try to make this my fault. The labels were not run until yesterday. PERIOD. I have the label numbers as proof. You will refund me TODAY. I don't have them. I never had them. What I PAID FOR WAS NEVER DELIVERED TO ME, WHICH MAKES THIS ESSENTIALLY MAIL FRAUD. You did not deliver. It's on the other guy, not me. He has the guitars. If you don't refund it today, you can deal with PayPal and Amex. There is no reason whatsoever for you to HOLD MY MONEY HOSTAGE. Do the right thing. You have no claim on my money for something that never delivered.

After repeated requests, he still won't give me my money back. $3000....
    Gravity. It's the law.

Let paypal and Amex fix his ass. Fuck scammers.

Make the Paypal claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Make the Paypal claim.
    Done.

All he had to do was refund my money. Coulda been simple.
    Gravity. It's the law.

I just bought an injection molded, waterproof, mil spec SKB hardcase off eBay for my old acoustic. I spent more than the guitar is worth, but can't wait to have it along on river trips now... and hopefully it lasts long enough for the financial remorse to fade. Reviews looked good, I've got high hopes. Anyone have experience with these? I should have asked before buying, but short timelines before river season.
    Gravity always wins...

I have a couple of SKB cases for some electrics, and they're very good. New, they were around $150 (street price).

I'm not sure about various quality levels in their lineup, however.

Edit: this is the case I'm talking about (SKB-FS6 - fits Strats & Teles): http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...ic-guitar-case
    Correction on price: $116. No idea how this translates to their acoustic cases.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-28-2017 at 09:07 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

My only experience with SKB is that the drawbolts/hardware break or come unhinged rather quickly on standard models. I know they have a premium or professional line (can't remember what they call it) that is apparently more durable but I don't have any beta there.

Not to bring up a sore subject.... but....

Any update axebiker? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by sgsbet86 View Post
    Also thinking of a acoustic. Any word on the washburn harvest series?

If you get a chance to pick on a Recording King in your $$, you may like it.

I played a 6-yo rosewood Adi dread last year that made me grin like sin. It's their top of the line Torch, but I still can't get that big deep sound off my mind...

Anybody have experience with the hot rod deluxe amps? I've got an opportunity to trade my tele for one. Value wise they're about equivalent. And I do need an amp.

Anybody have experience with the hot rod deluxe amps? I've got an opportunity to trade my tele for one. Value wise they're about equivalent. And I do need an amp.
    Fairly versatile for blues/rock, and decent cleans. It's all tube though, so pretty loud.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Not to bring up a sore subject.... but....

Any update axebiker? Just curious.
    Yeah... This fucker is holding $3000 hostage now and won't return it.

This all went down on Wednesday:

So the latest.

The two guitars I sold on Monday to finance this purchase? They will be in the hands of their new owners tomorrow and Friday. Today is day 15 since I paid him.

I emailed him at 7:42 am this morning after I figured out that nothing has happened yet, and texted him at 12:48 telling him to check his email. It's 2:39 now. I told him they need to be moving or refunded by 6PM CST.

Crickets.

He finally emails at 3:52 pm. The other buyer was going to try to get my guitars to shipping today (which didn't happen). Said the shipping labels were printed Monday - LIE - they were printed Tuesday. "If they don't go today, worst case, tomorrow".

I email and tell him unacceptable. Refund me today. I gave you more third chances than I should have. He should have had the labels on Saturday. If I had his guitars on Saturday, how is it that he supposedly didn't get mine until today - LIE.

He emails back - "The labels weren't printed because you didn't want the guitars until I gave you the additional $XXX off the price. We were closed Sunday, so it couldn't be sent out then (BS - you can send out a label ANY day online at ANY hour!). I don't know why they took longer to get to TX - maybe because he was making sure he got his guitars. He tried to drop them off but was 5 min late. I will refund your money after I get the guitars back from TX as soon as I can".

I reply - don't you even DARE to try to make this my fault. The labels were not run until yesterday. PERIOD. I have the label numbers as proof. You will refund me TODAY. I don't have them. I never had them. What I PAID FOR WAS NEVER DELIVERED TO ME, WHICH MAKES THIS ESSENTIALLY MAIL FRAUD. You did not deliver. It's on the other guy, not me. He has the guitars. If you don't refund it today, you can deal with PayPal and Amex. There is no reason whatsoever for you to HOLD MY MONEY HOSTAGE. Do the right thing. You have no claim on my money for something that never delivered.

Wednesday night I contacted PayPal, and on other advice, was told to forget PayPal and just go straight to the CC company. On Thursday I contacted Amex, and they have suspended the charge to me, and have opened a case/investigation. He has basically been crickets since then.

I noticed yesterday that I had a sudden huge influx of SPAM email, and I'm betting I know who's responsible for that. For a 60-something dude, he sure acts like a fucking CHILD.

If you want to avoid this dick, here are his details:
    ***removed for now***

I'll leave this here for a couple days...
    Last edited by axebiker; 05-01-2017 at 08:13 AM.
    Gravity. It's the law.

sounds like it's time for a maggot visit. who's local?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

bring in the goons

It happened. Now I've got to get another tele. Somehow. Before I get evicted from this apartment for making too much noise.