Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Any mediocre guitar players here ever attempt to learn the dobro? Haven't played a guitar in years but thinking a dobro might be fun to learn. Thoughts?
    Huh. Well, I'm a year late, but I played guitar professionally for a decade, put it down for a few years, and then picked up the dobro. I will say that it's much harder than guitar, and it doesn't really actually have much in common with guitar (despite looking like one). It's tuned differently, you pick differently (thumb pick plus two finger picks), and you play notes differently (single metal slide versus fingers). Really not anything like guitar. If you have musical background then your basic musical understanding will carry over, but you're gonna have to start from ground zero in terms of learning how to physically play it.

Happy to answer questions if you like. I absolutely love the dobro, but it's a bitch to get it to sound good.
    Here's a video of me playing a bit to prove that I do actually play this thing.

Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I am teaching myself to play guitar. Mostly, I just think of a tune that I would like to learn and go to youtube for a (not so) quick lesson
    So far, I am comfortable with For What It's Worth, Melissa and All I Can Do Is Write About It.
    It kind of sucks, because I am a southpaw, and I am teaching myself righty.

What easy tunes do you play?
    That's how I do it: 1)Hear song. 2)Look up tab. 3)Learn song. 4)Forget song.

If in the event I complete task #2 and #3 looks hard, I go right to #4.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I am teaching myself to play guitar. Mostly, I just think of a tune that I would like to learn and go to youtube for a (not so) quick lesson
    So far, I am comfortable with For What It's Worth, Melissa and All I Can Do Is Write About It.
    It kind of sucks, because I am a southpaw, and I am teaching myself righty.

What easy tunes do you play?
    This summer playing and singing finally clicked for me. I’m still not great but I’m solidly an intermediate player now. I can sorta sightread along with tab/music/chord sheets and sing along. Still getting after it. It’s a fun journey.

Easy songs I’ve been playing is a lot of John Prine tunes, Chris Stapleton, Otis Redding. Simple songs that are powerful and matter to me. Also Slaid Cleaves has been in heavy rotation on the iPod and I’m fixing to learn some of his tunes.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Current #1. Custom shop Martin 0-15SM I picked this up after playing a 00-17 authentic and it haunted me. This is a stopgap.

Beautiful Pegleg.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Huh. Well, I'm a year late, but I played guitar professionally for a decade, put it down for a few years, and then picked up the dobro. I will say that it's much harder than guitar, and it doesn't really actually have much in common with guitar (despite looking like one). It's tuned differently, you pick differently (thumb pick plus two finger picks), and you play notes differently (single metal slide versus fingers). Really not anything like guitar. If you have musical background then your basic musical understanding will carry over, but you're gonna have to start from ground zero in terms of learning how to physically play it.

Happy to answer questions if you like. I absolutely love the dobro, but it's a bitch to get it to sound good.
    Here's a video of me playing a bit to prove that I do actually play this thing.

Nice!!

Always wanted to learn. Picked up one. Learned a few simple songs, none up to speed. Amazing Grace, Will the Circle be Unbroken, Fireball Mail, Old Joe Clark, Angeline the Baker.

Never got it to sound much better than rattling the silver ware drawer. I play the fiddle, and this thing is damned hard!!

Wechter Scheerhorn Resonator guitar with pickup for sale.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Pegleg is quite the renaissance man. Can confirm he rips on the dobro (and guitar).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I would recommend playing with other people every chance you get. I learn something just about every time I do.

I would also determine what type of music you want to play and get with it. The right hand is very different with different styles, pick? no pick? strum? fingerpick?
    Hello darkness my old friend

So, I have a little extra cash and have been thinking about buying a new geeeteeer; most likely of the electric variety; have a an old skool Washburn Hawk that looks badass ('cause that's most important), growls a bit like a Les Paul, but plays like shit. Lo and behold, I find a 20% off coupon in my inbox from GuitarCenter! But check the exclusions:

Products from the following manufacturers are excluded: A Designs, ADAM Audio, Aguilar, Allen & Heath, Alvarez, Ampeg, Antelope Audio, Apogee, Apple, Arturia, Ashdown, Ashly Audio, Avantone, Avid, BAE, Beetronics FX, Blackstar, Bose, BOSS, Burl Audio, Caparison Guitars, Catalinbread, Chapman, Crate, Cusack Music, D.W. Fearn, Dangerous Music, Dave Smith Instruments, Dean Markley, Duesenberg USA, EarthQuaker Devices, Earthworks, Electro-Harmonix, elysia, Empress Effects, Epiphone, Ernie Ball Music Man, EVH, Fender, Fender Custom Shop, Focal, Focusrite, Fostex, Friedman, Fulltone, Fulltone Custom Shop, Gallien-Krueger, Gibson, Gibson Custom, Golden Age Project, GoPro, HeadRush, Heritage Audio, iConnectivity, ISP Technologies, iZotope, JHS Pedals, Kali Audio, Keeley, Kemper, Korg, Kurzweil, Kush Audio, LaChapell Audio, Lâg Guitars, Lewitt Audio Microphones, Lindell Audio, Mackie, Manley, Marshall, Martin, MEINL, Metric Halo, Millennia, Milkman Sound, Mojave Audio, Moog, MOTU, Native Instruments, Neumann, Nord, Novation, Orange Amplifiers, Paiste, Pettyjohn Electronics, Phoenix Audio, Primacoustic, PRS, Radial Engineering, Randall, Rane, Reloop, Reverend, RME, Rockett Pedals, Roland, Royer, Ruach Music, sE Electronics, Sennheiser, Serato, S.E. Shires, Shure, Slate Digital, Slate Pro Audio, Slate Media Technology, Softube, Soundbrenner, Source Audio, Squier, Steven Slate Drums, Studiologic, Supro, Suzuki, Taylor, Teenage Engineering, TELEFUNKEN, Teletronix, Toft Audio Designs, Tone King, Tube-Tech, Voodoo Lab, VOX, Walrus Audio, Wampler, Warm Audio, Westone, Xotic Effects, Yamaha, ZT, ZVex.

Ha! I almost feel like I should just throw some cash at something given the 20%, but can't come up with anything given the exclusions. What would you buy?

So, I have a little extra cash and have been thinking about buying a new geeeteeer; most likely of the electric variety; have a an old skool Washburn Hawk that looks badass ('cause that's most important), growls a bit like a Les Paul, but plays like shit. Lo and behold, I find a 20% off coupon in my inbox from GuitarCenter! But check the exclusions:

Products from the following manufacturers are excluded: A Designs, ADAM Audio, Aguilar, Allen & Heath, Alvarez, Ampeg, Antelope Audio, Apogee, Apple, Arturia, Ashdown, Ashly Audio, Avantone, Avid, BAE, Beetronics FX, Blackstar, Bose, BOSS, Burl Audio, Caparison Guitars, Catalinbread, Chapman, Crate, Cusack Music, D.W. Fearn, Dangerous Music, Dave Smith Instruments, Dean Markley, Duesenberg USA, EarthQuaker Devices, Earthworks, Electro-Harmonix, elysia, Empress Effects, Epiphone, Ernie Ball Music Man, EVH, Fender, Fender Custom Shop, Focal, Focusrite, Fostex, Friedman, Fulltone, Fulltone Custom Shop, Gallien-Krueger, Gibson, Gibson Custom, Golden Age Project, GoPro, HeadRush, Heritage Audio, iConnectivity, ISP Technologies, iZotope, JHS Pedals, Kali Audio, Keeley, Kemper, Korg, Kurzweil, Kush Audio, LaChapell Audio, Lâg Guitars, Lewitt Audio Microphones, Lindell Audio, Mackie, Manley, Marshall, Martin, MEINL, Metric Halo, Millennia, Milkman Sound, Mojave Audio, Moog, MOTU, Native Instruments, Neumann, Nord, Novation, Orange Amplifiers, Paiste, Pettyjohn Electronics, Phoenix Audio, Primacoustic, PRS, Radial Engineering, Randall, Rane, Reloop, Reverend, RME, Rockett Pedals, Roland, Royer, Ruach Music, sE Electronics, Sennheiser, Serato, S.E. Shires, Shure, Slate Digital, Slate Pro Audio, Slate Media Technology, Softube, Soundbrenner, Source Audio, Squier, Steven Slate Drums, Studiologic, Supro, Suzuki, Taylor, Teenage Engineering, TELEFUNKEN, Teletronix, Toft Audio Designs, Tone King, Tube-Tech, Voodoo Lab, VOX, Walrus Audio, Wampler, Warm Audio, Westone, Xotic Effects, Yamaha, ZT, ZVex.

Ha! I almost feel like I should just throw some cash at something given the 20%, but can't come up with anything given the exclusions. What would you buy?

I've never tried it, but my understanding is GC will often honor those coupons in-store if you ask. Manufacturer minimum advertised price policies prevent them from offering them online.

Chances are even after you get a 20% discount the prices at GC will be higher than what your'd pay on the used market (reverb.com, CL).

How much is a 'little extra' cash? That'll have a good deal to do with what you buy. What do you like? Get something you think is cool.

Or have the Hawk fixed. I have two Falcons (first editions from the '70's) that are truly LP killers. It'd probably cost you a couple hundred max to have it set up properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Learning guitar as an adult: lame or not?

Sounds like the Hawk isn’t set up properly. Perhaps try getting that tuned first, you’ll get better money that way if you end up selling it anyways.

Maybe GC would honor 20% off a used guitar

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I have had the Hawk set up a couple of times; last year at quality shop. Just is a bit of a clunky player. Was thinking of blowing a grand or so.

Might just pop into the local GC and see what they are willing to do for me...

Mostly higher end stuff here:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...r-emporium.22/

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

The used gear market is SUPER soft these days. Not much moving, and what is goes for stupid low prices. Of course there are plenty people out there that still think if you knock 10% off list price on used gear, somehow, that's a "deal". LIST price, not street.
    Gravity. It's the law.

So, I'm thinning the herd at the moment and selling this Strat body (Warmoth): https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...white.2092513/

Maggot pricing available ;-)

I decided one Strat is enough for me (I'm a Tele guy). Help a maggot fund his airbag pack purchase.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 10-31-2019 at 10:39 PM.
    Galibier Design

Quarantine Question open to all: What are some of your favorite things to play? I'm kind of stuck in a rut right now. Open to any suggestions/styles.

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
    Quarantine Question open to all: What are some of your favorite things to play? I'm kind of stuck in a rut right now. Open to any suggestions/styles.
    I've been focussing on melodic soloing and nailing the chord tones.

After years and years of playing patterns (scale shapes), I'm working on single string solos to get a feel for vocal, or horn-like solos.

Even if you're not a Dead head, check out this lesson based on Fire on the Mountain.

It's simple - two chords (B-A) in the key of E. You only have to focus on 3 notes for each chord, but learn them on all 6 strings.

Three days in, and I'm getting the high-E string down, and just starting to get the B-string under my fingers and into my head.

I'm temporarily fighting the temptation to break into scale shapes, although when I occasionally do, I'm seeing the notes in a different perspective.

It's a parallel revelation to what I had when learning CAGED.
    https://youtu.be/dByqxpT49v4

If you're unfamiliar with the song, start at about 13:30 into this Dead and Company version:
    https://youtu.be/lW7iKqoGEQ8
    Simple as "Fire" is, Mayer really tears it up on the Scarlet jam leading up to this.

I confess to being slow to accept Dead and Company, but Mayer, Oteil and the keyboard player have made a believer of me.

Bobby? Too many years of Jack Daniels gave taken its toll, and Kreutzman and Hart together make up about half of a good drummer like John Molo, so I take it for what it is.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Simple songs with fills, knocking on heaven's door, slowly with some Am riffs, and belt out the lyrics.

Comfortably numb, blister on the sun, sweet music man (rip Kenny), she's the breeze ( not released yet), Keith Richards riffs, behind blue eyes, night's in white satin, willin'.........

I’m playing a bunch of John Prine songs lately.

If you like to practice to beat but find a regular metronome boring, this is a fun site to use. Beats are samples from drummers such as Bernard Purdie and James Gadson.

http://funklet.com/

^^*^
    Nice resource. Haven’t seen that before.

Scarlett Begonias solo:

https://youtu.be/5lL_Mjk8wyk

... Thom
    Galibier Design