Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Learning guitar as an adult: lame or not?

I've always wanted to play guitar, tried half heartedly to teach myself for years and gave it up. I'm picking it back up but am afraid of being a poser for learning guitar at 35.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

why would it lame?

ok if you're playing grunge, pop country or boy band stuff there might be a problem.

I want to try to learn guitar again.

Not at all lame, Chugy. You should always be accepting new challenges and working on self-improvement. Just don't try singing if you have a shitty voice.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

not lame
    watch out for snakes

Hard and time consuming.

Not lame at all, if nothing else it will be great exercise for your brain to learn something new like that as adult. Keep growing.

I would love to learn to play the piano someday myself.

I did. You just have to be committed to playing every day.

The official maggot guitar. It currently resides in the SFB man cave. All mags should sign their handle on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    I've always wanted to play guitar, tried half heartedly to teach myself for years and gave it up. I'm picking it back up but am afraid of being a poser for learning guitar at 35.
    Absolutely not...rock on
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Not only is it not lame, it is necessary for good cognitive function. Well, not guitar per se, but learning new skills is important, especially as we get older to keep our brains healthy.

Just don't play stupid shit.

Me, I want to learn the souzaphone.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post

Just don't play stupid shit.

Me, I want to learn the souzaphone.
    There is no stupid shit. It may not be your fav, but never let anyone tell you your taste in music sucks, fuck them. You'll find that people that are really part of the music, never do that. hutash you got a lot to learn, other than playing music.

Honestly, if you're even thinking about it, it would be lame NOT to. Playing music keeps you smart as you age, and is way better than watching tv. I highly recommend truefire video lessons, the blues you can use book series, and a whole bunch of others. Don't be afraid to strum on a ukulele as well-- 4 strings are easier to learn on and less scary to get into at first, but since it is equivalent to the high 4 strings of a guitar (starting at the 5th fret) it is all transferrable to both instruments. Also they are cheap as hell.

Not lame.

But as I'm sure you already know, you kindda got it or you don't. If you don't progress will be slow.

i played some musical instruments when i was younger but for whatever reason had a mental block about guitar. not that i couldn't progress but like most other things after the main event in my life, i couldn't focus or stay put for anything. it was frustrating because like a couple of other things, i thought it would have helped.. now that i have a 4 year old and things have started to loosen for me personally, perhaps, i feel like i have a second chance to do some things for the sake of exposing my son to them and it's easier when you're trying to do something for somebody else. he can learn a love of music, the universality of struggling to learn something and the reward for persistence. if it doesn't grab him, something else will. fortunately, he loves music. i don't have to be good. i just have to love it.

Learning guitar as an adult: lame or not?

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm pretty obsessive so playing everyday isn't a problem for me, for my wife maybe. I've just got this nagging suspicion that I'm a poser. Not going to join a punk band or anything. Been listening to a lot of The Nightwatchman and Tim Barry and feeling pretty inspired to learn.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    There is no stupid shit. It may not be your fav, but never let anyone tell you your taste in music sucks, fuck them. You'll find that people that are really part of the music, never do that. hutash you got a lot to learn, other than playing music.
    Sorry that you still like disco, but it sucked then and it sucks now

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I'd throw down on some disco, if I could still get some ludes.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Sorry that you still like disco, but it sucked then and it sucks now

At least disco still had musicians and singers. Compared to todays dance music, i'll take disco!

this place needs a battle of the bands with handicaps. all members who have played less than 1 year, less than 5 years, ... expert. people can practice remotely together via skype. OR have a battle of the bands invitummit.

my parents listened to disco. it's far from my first choice but there are some good grooves. add coke and i'm sure it's awesome. not even coke can fix pop music today. well, unless it resulted in mass murders of pop music stars and music industry execs.

good old spoke

" don't go changing, to try and please me
    you never let me down before
    I'll take you just the way you are"

billy is kind of popy, but one hell of a snog writer.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    good old spoke

" don't go changing, to try and please me
    you never let me down before
    I'll take you just the way you are"

billy is kind of popy, but one hell of a snog writer.
    love you too buddy

if you have never played music, Take one lesson to get the basics and start learning coordination.

Just bought a sweet mini mini amp by Orange. bought a cheap effects pedal,
    and a pick up microphone for my ukulele and my acoustic

I don't like electric unless i need it.

I use a glass slide with my amp and acoustic , and want to get a fretless guitar....yes, fretless guitar.

i don't read guitar music,I don't know even the standard "correct" string notes and I change the strings to strange tunings on the guitar.

Hollow body electric is a good compromise..
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    my parents listened to disco. it's far from my first choice but there are some good grooves. add coke and i'm sure it's awesome. not even coke can fix pop music today. well, unless it resulted in mass murders of pop music stars and music industry execs.
    no one buys new music, they all steal it. The pop shit gets played for free/....no one steals it.

enjoy endless copy cat jam bands for free.....thieves....
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel