Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Poser? I don't get that at all. But start right away--you're already on the old side for learning new stuff and you aren't going to get any younger. I was lucky--I learned guitar as an early teen and back then I could still read music, which really helped--I had a teacher who would right out stuff for me to learn. Tab didn't exist back then. Lately I've been trying to learn Dobro with tab--I can't read music any more--and not making much progress. I have to think about each fret and each string for each note, whereas back when I could read music I could figure it out much more quickly. If you can afford lessons by all means take them.

Whether you are 9 or 99, if you want to do something and have the means and desire, go out and do it... If you are not musically inclined, and end up being bad at it, who cares (except the people invited and feel obligated to come and hear you play at your recital at the end of the classes) ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement! I'm pretty obsessive so playing everyday isn't a problem for me, for my wife maybe. I've just got this nagging suspicion that I'm a poser. Not going to join a punk band or anything. Been listening to a lot of The Nightwatchman and Tim Barry and feeling pretty inspired to learn.
    Chick's are sposed to dig guitar players...if your wife doesn't, others will flock to you once you can play something.

I took lesson and played for years as a kid...then stupidly stopped playing. I can still read music but it's been hard as hell getting back into it. I should commit to lessons to force myself to sit down and do it.

Definitely go for it. It's cheap, and just takes some concentration.
    Last edited by goldengatestinx; 03-26-2016 at 04:02 PM.

It's not hard. Learn A-G major and minor chords, buy a capo, and you'll be able to play thousands and thousands of songs.

op, this is what a poser sounds like, don't be this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    if you have never played music, Take one lesson to get the basics and start learning coordination.

Just bought a sweet mini mini amp by Orange. bought a cheap effects pedal,
    and a pick up microphone for my ukulele and my acoustic

I don't like electric unless i need it.

I use a glass slide with my amp and acoustic , and want to get a fretless guitar....yes, fretless guitar.

i don't read guitar music,I don't know even the standard "correct" string notes and I change the strings to strange tunings on the guitar.

Hollow body electric is a good compromise..

I would never.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

It's only lame if the only song you learn is Wonderwall
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    It's only lame if you learn the song Wonderwall
    FIFY

It's going to hurt in the beginning. Then the only thing you'll ever feel with your fingertips is pain.
    There's about 9 basic chords. Learn them and their names first.
    Get to where you can string 2-3 chords together, then drop your study of chords and start learning songs off youtube.
    Learn how to practice. Always play clean. Be the world you want to see.

Homer's advice to Bart, upon hearing that he quit learning the guitar.

H: "Of course I'm not mad, if something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV."
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Are you starting with the A's? Albania Morrisett and Avril Lavine?

If so.... Rethink that and start with Z... Zzz Top. Or just use different A's.

hey dasposer, what you got big boy, here's a little wing bastardization.
    post up your stuff
    that's a $89 dollar guitar I bought at a pawn shop in Vegas
    and recorded on a 200 tablet

Last edited by skiballs; 03-27-2016 at 06:55 PM.

I cant see your video to compare your skillz with the imagined skillz of Dascunt

I like this video...

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Not at all lame, Chugy. You should always be accepting new challenges and working on self-improvement. Just don't try singing if you have a shitty voice.
    Don't sing, period. People will be too busy laughing at you behind your back to tell you how shitty your voice is. At least, that's how it was when my last roommate was trying to teach himself guitar.

^do you even play?

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Don't sing, period. People will be too busy laughing at you behind your back to tell you how shitty your voice is. At least, that's how it was when my last roommate was trying to teach himself guitar.
    And in a few years your old roomie will be singing and playing guitar at least decently enough to score (a guy that can play/sing decently gets significantly more attractive) and you all are just wallowing in your mediocrity and your fear of being laughed at keeps you from trying anything new which makes you stale and boring...

^ding, it's the same with a women that can sing and play.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    And in a few years your old roomie will be singing and playing guitar at least decently enough to score (a guy that can play/sing decently gets significantly more attractive) and you all are just wallowing in your mediocrity and your fear of being laughed at keeps you from trying anything new which makes you stale and boring...
    That was 10 years ago. His girlfriend was laughing along with us. And, fast forward to present day, he still sucks.

well then you are assholes.

So how does one decide between an electric or acoustic guitar? I want to be able to play both but I can only get one for now. I've been playing a borrowed acoustic that's way way too nice for a novice like me and that term of lending is nearly over. I'm kinda leaning toward electric because I could play it unplugged at night without disturbing anyone.

I learned predominantly on a electric and the unplugged quietness came in handy. Also can use headphones

So how does one decide between an electric or acoustic guitar?
    Pick whichever you'd prefer to play primarily, or whichever sounds most like the music you aspire to play. The skills are transferable, but it's more fun to learn when you are making the music you actually want to hear. If that makes any sense.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

So how does one decide between an electric or acoustic guitar? I want to be able to play both but I can only get one for now. I've been playing a borrowed acoustic that's way way too nice for a novice like me and that term of lending is nearly over. I'm kinda leaning toward electric because I could play it unplugged at night without disturbing anyone.

Go to monoprice.com. Both their acoustics are well worth the fkn Cnote. They have sales too, with free 2nd day air included.

I bought a whiteguard Tele from them, less than a hundo on sale & free shipping to Ak. It came with a fkn ebony fretboard (!) and locking tuners. Olskool baseball bat maple neck that hasn't had a problem in 2 years. Everyone who touches it loves it. I'd rate it better than an American Standard Tele out of the box, but the pots are tiny and the strings don't pass through the body. Some fret ends needed some filing too.

(!) It's supposed to have a rosewood fretboard

I suck but enjoy it. Bought and cheapo electric 1st and that got me interested enough to get a 1/2 decent Acoustic.

My useless 2 cents is get the acoustic 1st.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"