Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Those are stupid good prices. He's definitely undervaluing his labor. Strike while the iron is hot, before he comes to his senses.

Along that line of thinking, I've been wondering for several be years, how much better a Tele made by Jeff Senn can be than the partscasters I've assembled.

With pricing in the mid $2K's, and the fact that I've been buying too many skis recently, I've yet to find out.

Tempering my enthusiasm a bit, I tried a Grosh guitar at Wildwood (in Louisville, CO), and wasn't terribly impressed. To be fair, it was only one guitar - one which might be someone else's idea of perfection.

... Thom
    I'm curious, esp. with his 100% money back guarantee within one month of delivery. That's pretty risk-free. Not to mention all the used Gibson Explorers are around a grand or more, and while they have the name on the headstock, they have all the hit-and-miss QC associated with them. I have yet to play a Gibson I thought was worth the price. My Reverends smoke them in quality and cost a fraction, esp. used. If I do decide to pull the trigger on one of his axes and it passes the test, perhaps a Firebird will be next.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

I sold my '93 AS Tele a couple years ago, and you fuckers are making me regret it...

Guitars are a lot like wine. There are fine ones that don't cost very much that you've never heard of. There are very expensive ones that may or may not be worth the tariff, that may get locked in a display cabinet only to be traded instead of enjoyed for the rest of their lives.

At the end of the day it boils down to what feels and sounds good to you, but many don't see it that way and it's all about the label. The journey to find the right one[s] is a good bit of the fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    You're from Linköping?? I've seen you play before?
    I'm from Minnesota, but I am part Swede...

I'm not in Ghost. Maybe some day, but not today.
    Gravity. It's the law.

So I've narrowed down my search for a better amp. I will have a multi effects pedal plugged in so any effects aren't a concern to me. But I just wanted to throw my options out there and see what you guys think is my best option. Fender Champion 40, Orange Crush rt35, Orange micro terror with ibanez 1x12 with Celestion speaker, line 6 AMPLIFi 30, voxac15Vr. Just looking for the best sound possible.

Quote Originally Posted by sgsbet86 View Post
    So I've narrowed down my search for a better amp. I will have a multi effects pedal plugged in so any effects aren't a concern to me. But I just wanted to throw my options out there and see what you guys think is my best option. Fender Champion 40, Orange Crush rt35, Orange micro terror with ibanez 1x12 with Celestion speaker, line 6 AMPLIFi 30, voxac15Vr. Just looking for the best sound possible.
    From all the the amps big and small that I've tried and/or owned over the years (jeebus, it's actually been decades), the best clean sound is fender amps, almost too clean.

BUT, because your not relying on the amp for effects, running the effects through a very clean signal works very well for preserving the characteristics of the effects (here, the term effects also includes distortion/fuzz/overdrive etc.)

If you're looking to get distortion/overdrive/fuzz from the amp itself, then the choice changes with each type of "distortion" that you want.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 05-04-2017 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Post edited to reflect that I just realised I'm old as fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Maybe just get an Orange Tiny Terror and a 1x12? Not point in the OC RT35 or L6 A30. Maybe the Vox?
    Gravity. It's the law.

I just started running an MXR Classic Overdrive in front of (GET THIS) my Line 6 Flextones! WOWOWOW!!! What a GREAT sound!
    Gravity. It's the law.

Just like a "what ski for me" for skiing - this question is impossible to answer without more details about your playing style, what you want for your sound, your budget, etc. Details!

The Bonin Petrels

I'm definitely leaning towards the micro terror 1x12 combo. Just looking for some group support. YouTube vids of micro terror are pretty impressive. The combo amps are interesting for portability and leaving pedal at home.

Good choices!

The Vox 30w is a legend. The 15 will probably be the warmest of the bunch.
    Don't know about the bigger Orange, but the Micro has a great Marshallesque distortion ("crunch"), and that Ibanez cab is historic with a whiteback Celestion, which are The Goods. In the Day, Big Orange was what you got if a Marshall wasn't loud enough for you. Great sound too.
    The Fender will be the cleanest, and best American sound - a little tighter and more controllable break, a little more woody rasp if you want. Fender is the American jazz and blues amplifier.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Good choices!

The Vox 30w is a legend. The 15 will probably be the warmest of the bunch.
    Don't know about the bigger Orange, but the Micro has a great Marshallesque distortion ("crunch"), and that Ibanez cab is historic with a whiteback Celestion, which are The Goods. In the Day, Big Orange was what you got if a Marshall wasn't loud enough for you. Great sound too.
    The Fender will be the cleanest, and best American sound - a little tighter and more controllable break, a little more woody rasp if you want. Fender is the American jazz and blues amplifier.
    Yup. Great breakdown on all counts.

Thanks. Just needed a little reassurance before purchase. Definitely going with micro terror and ibanez 1x12. I have a line 6 amplififx100 multi pedal which I like for all the modeling capabilities and online presets from music library but I'm playing through a crappy fender frontman I got in a combo. Which was worth it for the Indonesian made squire tele. Really been enjoying getting back into playing. Can't believe how much better quality there is on affordable stuff is these days compared to 20 years ago. Thanks for the help

I'm selling a Panama conqueror 5w hand wired all tube combo. Sounds super good just ended up with something much bigger that I don't really need but you know. Bigger is better.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Thanks. Just needed a little reassurance before purchase. Definitely going with micro terror and ibanez 1x12. I have a line 6 amplififx100 multi pedal which I like for all the modeling capabilities and online presets from music library but I'm playing through a crappy fender frontman I got in a combo. Which was worth it for the Indonesian made squire tele. Really been enjoying getting back into playing. Can't believe how much better quality there is on affordable stuff is these days compared to 20 years ago. Thanks for the help

Thanks reckless. Like Hop intoned, every musician is a one-off. Which is the best part of it.
    sgsbet86 seems to be making real good choices too.

Thanks reckless. Like Hop intoned, every musician is a one-off. Which is the best part of it.
    sgsbet86 seems to be making real good choices too.
    Too true.

I started off as a boss through Marshall guy, and ended up as a line 6 through Fender guy, over the course of about 20 years

The journey is the destination.

If you like your Line 6, I'm not so sure going with a little amp is the way to go?

My 2 cents is to study more about staying down the Line 6 rabbit hole, and maybe going with powered full range speakers, or just a clean power amp and guitar cab? Find out what the guys are doing with other modeling stuff like Fractal, Kemper, etc. etc.

I did the Fractal thing way back and used to know all the amp brands and stuff, but have kind of forgot. I used a great big stereo tube amp, but know guys used PA amps, powered speakers, and stuff outside what one would think for a guitar amp.

Gear is so funny. I was (well, still am) chasing tones. Thought I needed this specific pedal or pickups for this certain stuff, and couldn't use this with that, etc.

Then a couple years ago Drag The River showed up to Glacier with their guitars and basses but no amps (well, John had his Pro Junior) and no drums and needed some gear and a place to practice, so they came to my house and plugged right in to my stuff. Chad bypassed my pedal board and went right in to my VT40. John went from a tuner to my Reverend Hellhound and his Pro Junior. Kyle plugged straight in to my "crappy" Roland bass amp and Paul sat behind my kit.

Within about two seconds of them playing my gear - it's never sounded better.

What I learned was that anytime I think buying new stuff will make me sound better, I know would be better off spending the money on lessons instead, or just saving my money and practicing more.

Of course buying new stuff is still fun and new gear can inspire in new ways, but it's not a substitute for actually knowing how to use what you've already got. The tones I'm chasing are now skill-related vs. gear-related.

Pardon the time slip. Not sure why the audio from the GoPro and the digital audio recording got a bit out of sync towards the end.

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    Gear is so funny. I was (well, still am) chasing tones. Thought I needed this specific pedal or pickups for this certain stuff, and couldn't use this with that, etc.

Then a couple years ago Drag The River showed up to Glacier with their guitars and basses but no amps (well, John had his Pro Junior) and no drums and needed some gear and a place to practice, so they came to my house and plugged right in to my stuff. Chad bypassed my pedal board and went right in to my VT40. John went from a tuner to my Reverend Hellhound and his Pro Junior. Kyle plugged straight in to my "crappy" Roland bass amp and Paul sat behind my kit.

What I learned was that anytime I think buying new stuff will make me sound better, I know would be better off spending the money on lessons instead, or just saving my money and practicing more.

Of course buying new stuff is still fun and new gear can inspire in new ways, but it's not a substitute for actually knowing how to use what you've already got. The tones I'm chasing are now skill-related vs. gear-related.

Pardon the time slip. Not sure why the audio from the GoPro and the digital audio recording got a bit out of sync towards the end.
    Great lesson. I've definitely played more than a few gigs, where the other band playing that night just blew me away. There are so many truely great musicians and bands out there, that unfortunately only a few people will ever get to hear.

I've never been a "chasing the perfect tone" kind of guy.

My changes in sound came about more from learning different kinds music, and loving a wide variety and types of music. Which is where the line 6 through a nice clean fender comes in. The variety is astounding/overwhelming.

Had a bunch of boss pedals, really thrash/metal focused early on. When my musical interests shifted, so did my pedals. It's hilarious playing ZZ Top on a boss metal zone. It's amazing that a pedal I so loved in my youth, now makes my ears bleed. And that whimpy blues overdrive that I hated so much in my youth, is now a warm slow subtle sound that you can get lost in...music to my ears.

I think the sound that has gotten consistently the most use over the years is my Big Muff.

I'm just playing at home nowadays, and I recently picked up an older Zoom G5 with the tube boost. It's got good sound, and is much simpler for my needs. So the line 6 hasn't seen a lot of action lately.

Never really tried the Zoom stuff before, but it's sound modeling is highly underrated. And so cheap for the relativly high quality of sound. Intuitive and quick to use the board directly, instead of the PC modeling route. Definitely suits my current purposes.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 05-05-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Earlier in this thread when I was asking about amps, I also looked up a bunch of those guitar magazine "rig rundowns" for bands that I like - knowing that I couldn't afford any of them, but as a total noob it was still interesting to see what they used. As you'd expect, there were plenty of vintage tube amps, some really elaborate pedal boards, etc. But then there's at least one big name band that runs everything live through AxeFx - no normal amps at all. And another where the dude's entire kit consists of a Music Man with one pickup hardwired straight to the output jack (no knobs at all) straight into a Blackstar HT 100 - no pedals, no effects whatsoever.

"Metalmucil Studios"...excellent.

Of course buying new stuff is still fun and new gear can inspire in new ways, but it's not a substitute for actually knowing how to use what you've already got. The tones I'm chasing are now skill-related vs. gear-related. ...

Hop has stayed on message while this thread has grown more and more materialist (myself included). Listen to him.

No one is ever going to dig his own sound without lots of practice.
    No one is ever going to play well enough to let intuition and serendipity and a bone simple chord progression create a good solo unless she practices (under pressure).

How hard is it to learn a new knot? How easy is it to tie and how durable that skill after your hands have learned it? Is there any good substitute for "teaching your hands" to tie a bowline or Alberto?

99% of talent is desire. Embrace the suck of practice and drills. Learn to love it. It's sooo good for you!

ps: download a metronome and use it. Rhythm is the foundation of ALL music.
    Omar Hakim practices with a metronome every day.
    Last edited by highangle; 05-05-2017 at 11:02 AM.

99% of talent is desire. Embrace the suck of practice and drills. Learn to love it. It's sooo good for you!
    Embrace the mistakes too; sticking to a rigid template makes for boring music. Master the technique, then abandon it and see where experimenting takes you...