Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    Dumb question: What do you use your side burner for? In 15 years I've never used mine.
    I don’t. The point of my post was if you really want one, buy a cheap butane one….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Time for a new grill. Are Weber's still considered the bomb? Are the sear burners worthwhile or just a gimmick?
    Webers consistently win ATK/Cooks grill tests. The hype is real. All the stainless steel and fancy accessories in the world don't mean shit if a grill can't evenly heat to >600* on high and hold 250* for hours on end. Lots of fancy pants expensive grills fail those basic requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Just make sure they are the Genesis line and not the Spirit line.
    If you want a no-frills grill that still flat-out works the Spirits are great (but not the Spirit II). Mine gets hot AF on high, has super even heat, and holds low-and-slow temps great.

Dumb question: What do you use your side burner for? In 15 years I've never used mine.
    Hypothetically they're really useful, but my current grill (Spirit E310) doesn't have one and I don't miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Webers consistently win ATK/Cooks grill tests. The hype is real.

If you want a no-frills grill that still flat-out works the Spirits are great (but not the Spirit II). Mine gets hot AF on high, has super even heat, and holds low-and-slow temps great.

Hypothetically they're really useful, but my current grill (Spirit E310) doesn't have one and I don't miss it.
    Yes. Yes. (Spirit II looks like junk.) And yes.

Just got a Traeger 780 pellet grill. Not propane, but works great.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

We actually use ours with surprising frequency. The main thing we use it for is when frying stuff, whether pan frying or deep frying. WAAAAY better to keep the smoke or splattering grease outside than have to clean the inevitable mess up from every nook and cranny in the kitchen after a mad cooking session. Also excellent when you have to cook up something that's simply going to make your house smell for days on end, like some sauces. Just cook it outside and you're golden. Do I like the smell of curry? Definitely. I just don't like my house smelling like it for a week after the meal.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    <snip> Do I like the smell of curry? Definitely. I just don't like my house smelling like it for a week after the meal.

FWIW, I wasn't aware there is a distinction between the Spirit I and Spirit II.

Good to know when I have to replace my grill in 20 years.

I didn't discover this until this past year, but a propane grill is the best way to cook bacon evenly and not stink up (or grease up) your kitchen.

Heat grill to 400*. Cover a big baking pan with parchment paper. Lay out an entire package of bacon on the parchment paper. Cook in grill like a big oven - remove bacon with tongs. Let grease cool before pouring it for disposal. Amazingly mess free.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    <snip> Let grease cool before pouring it for re-use.
    Fixed it for me.

If you get those nice eBay stainless bars (large diameter bars spaced closely) , no need for the tin foil. I just turn off the burner underneath where the bacon goes so the grease doesn’t start on fire and put the bacon right on the grate.

Perfection.

Also another reason why the old Genesis models are the shit-burners go lengthwise rather than vertically so you still get even heating if you turn one or two of them off. Also amazing for rotisserie

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I didn't discover this until this past year, but a propane grill is the best way to cook bacon evenly and not stink up (or grease up) your kitchen.

Heat grill to 400*. Cover a big baking pan with parchment paper. Lay out an entire package of bacon on the parchment paper. Cook in grill like a big oven - remove bacon with tongs. Let grease cool before pouring it for disposal. Amazingly mess free.
    Yup. I do it in my cast iron on the grill. It’s like a killer combination of frying and baking the bacon.

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    If you get those nice eBay stainless bars (large diameter bars spaced closely) , no need for the tin foil. I just turn off the burner underneath where the bacon goes so the grease doesn’t start on fire and put the bacon right on the grate.

Perfection.

Also another reason why the old Genesis models are the shit-burners go lengthwise rather than vertically so you still get even heating if you turn one or two of them off. Also amazing for rotisserie
    However, the vertical (front to back) burners are good for indirect grilling which I do a lot of because I don't like to cook a roast indoors in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    We actually use ours with surprising frequency. The main thing we use it for is when frying stuff, whether pan frying or deep frying. WAAAAY better to keep the smoke or splattering grease outside than have to clean the inevitable mess up from every nook and cranny in the kitchen after a mad cooking session. Also excellent when you have to cook up something that's simply going to make your house smell for days on end, like some sauces. Just cook it outside and you're golden. Do I like the smell of curry? Definitely. I just don't like my house smelling like it for a week after the meal.
    Huh, what a great idea. My daughter makes a HUGE mess cooking meat in a cast iron pan on the stove. My next grill will have a side burner if she still lives here
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    However, the vertical (front to back) burners are good for indirect grilling which I do a lot of because I don't like to cook a roast indoors in the summer.
    Yeah, there's no definitive winner between vertical vs. horizontal burners. Both have pros and cons. I like the vertical for the same reasons you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Yeah, there's no definitive winner between vertical vs. horizontal burners. Both have pros and cons. I like the vertical for the same reasons you do.
    Clearly the discerning gentleman needs a grill quiver so as to be prepared for any grilling occasion

Clearly the discerning gentleman needs a grill quiver so as to be prepared for any grilling occasion
    This. Sadly, I do not have a quiver.

mount your own inserts and you can go vert, horizontal, or diagonal depending on the conditions

Recently downgraded my weber from a summit 470 to a Genesis SE 335. It's a solid performing grill but set up natural gas, just like the summit, i top out @ ~ 640 degrees with the sear burner on high. Summit would push just past 700! i got 14yrs out of the summit of year round >3x week use on our deck here in the pnwet. Thought about rehabbing but i'd burned out the front of the lower case and that was a $400 part by itself. SE cost some extra coin but big fan of the 9mm stainless bars that i'd gotten used to on the summit.

do use my side burner pretty regularly for high heat wok and or searing of stuff like scallops, echo others that its super nice to avoid the inside mess and smell, even more so since my stupid downdraft is on the fritz again.

I use it in conjunction with the Traeger a lot to smoke and reverse sear. While i love my Traeger i couldn't imagine only having it or the gas grill. Mini quiver FTW

Yup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3945.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	590.9 KB 
ID:	395770

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Do a quick scan of your local classifieds. You can often find Weber's that are a few years old but perfectly functional.

Just make sure they are the Genesis line and not the Spirit line.
    This.

If you don't pick this one up, I might.

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/65950606

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    This.

If you don't pick this one up, I might.

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/65950606
    Thanks! Its all yours. I'm actually in CO now, prob should think about changing my username. Its only been 16 years....

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Yup.

Pfft. No BGE.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Yup.

You’re little guy is known as R2BQ

Yup.

Ok that’s a sexy quiver. Rounded out with a Cold Snack. Well done, sir.

Propane grill recommendations

I am there with you…. Kamado Joe Jr, Large Big Green Egg, XL Big Green Egg, Camp Chef Flattop and 4 burner Broil King…. Use them all and love outdoor cooking…. My wife said if I buy anything else papers would be served…

Name:	Image1638920356.721949.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	395776