Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Propane grill recommendations

I'm finally going to replace our old grill, which is a "Front Avenue" (mfd by Char Broil) from circa 2002. Works, but impossible to get above 375*, no matter how long I preheat it.

I want a propane grill for fast and easy grilling. I have a copy of a big green egg for real bbq-ing.

My backyard has an alcove space for a grill that's ~ 55" wide. My current grill only fits because I took off one of the side table wings, so it's not the best use of space. Something like a Weber Genesis E310 would be a nice upgrade in quality, but it's about the same size and wouldn't fit in the alcove space with both side shelves attached:
    http://www.weber.com/grills/series/g.../genesis-e-310

To make best use of the space, I'm thinking of getting something in the "island" style -- no side wing shelves. This one from Lowe's would fit great in the space, but it has poor reviews elsewhere online, and looked/felt kind of cheap in the store. Posting the link though, to show what I'm generally looking for in terms of size/ shape/ style.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_98162-32439-...ductId=3511543

Any recommendations? If I can keep it under $1000, or close to it, that would be nice. Don't really want to go over $1500.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

ask the home depot associate to help you pick out a grill

/endthread
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Forgot to mention: not looking to do a built-in grill top. I want to keep the grill unit freestanding, like that Master Forge island I linked to.

Also, should be maximum bootlickericious for dd.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

build your own, dude

wtf
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Weber Genesis would be a solid pick. We have a 10 y.o. Genesis. The newer 310 orients the burners 90 degrees, an improvement. Can be rebuilt as needed. Weber carries spare parts. I replaced the grates a few years ago. Still on original burners. The piezo lighter broke long ago, but no biggie cuz I use a utility lighter.

If you want a searingly hot grill look no further than a TEC. I've had the basic 3 burner model for years now and it goes like a champ. Not huge so it should fit your space, but I haven't looked at their offerings in a long time. Takes a bit of getting used to since the infrared/ceramic burns so hot but once you do it's such a precision grill. Sometimes you can find them refurbished or on overstock type websites and find a smoking (pun intended) deal.
    I still call it The Jake.

recommend finding a cast iron grate & cast alum (or cast iron) body
    after that, just get something from a company you can rely on to warrant/service the unit

also, @ the $1k-1.5k price point, aren't you starting to get into units that may compete with your BGE knockoff?

Yo, Chupa. How close are you to Los Angeles? I have a used, working Lynx grill about that size that I'll unload. It's in pretty good shape- used it last summer.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

My dad bought an island model from these guys a few years ago it's badass. They make freestanding models too. I can get it to 700* for searing easily. Really well built too. Not sure of the cost though.

http://www.bullbbq.com/

For a free standing unit I go with Weber. If the Genesis won't fit the three burner Spirit might. Avoid the two burner if you want to do any indirect cooking (obviously). If you don't care about indirect, (or do all your indirect on the egg) the larger weber q is a great grill after you do the mod to replace the small regulator with a normal one. Plus side is you can take it for car camping and parking lot burgers.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Ooooh timely thread! I need to buy a propane grill for a weekend rental and have no experience what-so-ever. I've always been a charcoal gal. Went to HD to check out the grills - don't think I need a whole lot but maybe the smallest is too small? Here are some of the Weber's they have, thoughts?

Spirit E-210 2-Burner Propane Gas Grill

$399

Spirit E-310 3-Burner Propane Gas Grill (Featuring the Gourmet BBQ System)

$499

Also they have Kitchen Aid grills which are actually made by Nexgrill. The entry level 2-burner grill is only $299. Lots of reviews all over the spectrum. Company seems responsive to complaints but I have no personal knowledge as the the quality so if anyone here has experience I'd love to hear it.

Space isn't an issue for me but I would prefer to keep it small while getting the best bang for my buck.

I'm assuming HD will be having a sale for Father's day in May/June so prices might get better.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

KQ, FWIW, Weber's support is really good; KitchenAid is meh.

[I say that having taken advantage of both (tho for an induction cooktop unit from KA, not a grill)]

also, the grill sale to look for is the one at the end of the summer, not the beginning...prices are better (if you can wait)

SEARCH FUNCTION JONG!!!!

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...s+grill+thread

Weber is a good product and rock solid behind their warranty. Highly recommend for that reason, they sent me an entire bottom half when my lid broke the cast iron on the stops (it was a floor model) no questions asked. And they still make parts for all of their grills 20 years after the fact, and they're readily available.

The rest of the high end latest whiz-bang grill companies are relatively new. I'd guess they won't be around in 15-20 years either, if that matters to you.

LP burns hotter than NG, so that's a tradeoff to keep in mind.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

My Weber Genesis is hot enough to weld on. I have to be careful when I reheat it as it will quickly get way too hot. Several years now of constant use and the only problem is the pizo went out, which is a $30 replacement part (I have it, just haven't installed it.)

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I have the KitchenAid 4 burner model and it's great. Beats my buddy's Weber Genesis by a mile for achieving and maintaining high temps. Bought it at Costco.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Thanks everyone -

BMills - those TEC grills look nice, but lots of $. Don't think I'll find one in my price range.

acinpdx - I'm not giving up on the BGE copy, but sometimes I don't want to spend that much time cooking.

Viva - I'm in Reno. LA is a bit too far to drive for this, but thanks.

Re: all Weber recommendations (and DJSapp) - I saw the old thread, but curious if anything new in the last several years -- and also whether anyone had bought a similar island type grill that they like. The Genesis ones would probably do everything I need, and everyone who owns one says they get plenty hot enough to sear. I might still end up with one, but I'd like to fit the 55" space on my patio a little better, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    My dad bought an island model from these guys a few years ago it's badass. They make freestanding models too. I can get it to 700* for searing easily. Really well built too. Not sure of the cost though.

http://www.bullbbq.com/
    Just took a look at those -- seems nice, but $$$$. The "Brahma" one would fit well, but $3K.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    The Genesis ones would probably do everything I need, and everyone who owns one says they get plenty hot enough to sear.
    Our Weber Genesis gets hot enough to sear.

Have a Vermont Castings that gets super hot. Built like a tank. I'd bet you are looking at around 1500 for one.

We are on our third season with a Char Broil infra red bought at HD for cheap. Like most grills the piezo lighter crapped out but so what, long lighters are cheap and easy to use. The only real problem is the trough rusting out but it's replaceable for under $25 through Char Broil. Someone mentioned service, I was looking for the part number for the trough on a Sunday at about 6pm (eastern) and eventually the chat window popped up and the guy solved my problem in just a couple of minutes. I would buy another one...

That Weber Spirit 310 is only 52" wide.

You cannot go wrong with a Weber - well built, performs great and replacement parts are readily available. My first one lasted though 17 years of weekly use, always outside, never covered.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    We are on our third season with a Char Broil infra red bought at HD for cheap. Like most grills the piezo lighter crapped out but so what, long lighters are cheap and easy to use. The only real problem is the trough rusting out but it's replaceable for under $25 through Char Broil. Someone mentioned service, I was looking for the part number for the trough on a Sunday at about 6pm (eastern) and eventually the chat window popped up and the guy solved my problem in just a couple of minutes. I would buy another one...
    I have the 2 burner "bachelor sized" version of this grill and have been very happy with it over the last 2.5 years. It takes longer than a traditional direct-heat propane grill to heat up when it's really cold out, but that isn't really a big deal. No signs of rust anywhere on it except the trough. I grill pretty often and it sits uncovered and exposed to the element at 8000 feet in BCC. I like the fold-away shelves, because sometimes we get enough snow in 24 hours to snap fixed ones right off the frame. I think I paid about $225-250 for mine and would also buy another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post

You cannot go wrong with a Weber -
    The spirit and genesis stuff are Chinese made and not nearly as nice as the real ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

I have a 10 year old weber I've treated like shit and still works like a champ (including 5 years of being beat on by my 3 roommates and myself all summer AND winter in New England). Like everyone else - igniter went out, but they have a really convenient hole for an aim-a-flame that I've used since.
    Get it as stainless as possible and you never have to worry about much.
    Reminds me, I need to clean and recondition mine this year.