RIP Joe Garagiola....a baseball great

I just heard Joe Garagiola died today. He was 90. With his passing, we lost a great man and a legend. There aren't many of the old names left. Hit one outta there for me, Joe!
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

I remember listening to Joe tell a story about trying to catch a knuckleball pitcher. He said "they just throw it up and yell good luck".
    Joe, Peewee, The Scooter. They made listening fun. It'll never be the same.

He always kinda annoyed me when he was on a broadcast but it was good he was around

Found this little clip...Rest in Peace Joe...

My fondest memories of baseball aren't from watching it, but from listening to it.

Baseball lends itself to radio like no other team sport. It becomes a sound of summer...right along with the whirr of distant lawnmowers, the sound of moms calling their kids home for dinner from various back steps, kids laughing, dogs barking....it all becomes a gentle cacophony of summer sounds to me, and good memories.

Moms don't call their kids home across the suburban backyards anymore...in fact, kids barely step foot outside anymore, but there's still baseball on the AM radio, there's still the mowing of lawns, there's still lemonade and there's still summer, so maybe things aren't half bad.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

I remember him broadcasting on NBC during the big red machine days in my youth. I use to love watching games with him calling them.

Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    Found this little clip...Rest in Peace Joe...

that was fantastic....thanks for posting that
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure