School me on trolling motors

So I bought a square stern canoe (15.5') and want to put a trolling motor on it. Boat weighs about 100# and will be carrying approx. 400# of people and accessories. Small to medium size lake use for now. Looking for suggestions on motors/batteries.

FWIW, did a search but as you can imagine I came up with just about everything but what I wanted.

Thx
    The Sheriff is near!

Private message Bunny hill Profane and STFU

More thrust is better than less. Seriously.

I have a 50 lb thrust trolling motor I use on a both a canoe and a 14ft metal boat. Its plenty fast for the canoe which I use on ponds where you can't use a gas motor. Two fat guys, and some gear...

On the metal boat its fine too, use it for cruising the shore line and on the carp flats.

I can't remember the battery but I know its a deep cycle rv. I can get a half days use then throw a charge on it.

I wouldn't want less than 45lbs and 50 should be fine.

With a square stern I'd really consider something like the Honda BF2.3 with the internal gas tank. Little four stroke will go all day on a tank (1.1L) of gas. http://marine.honda.com/outboards/motor-detail/BF2.3

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Fun Ball View Post
    With a square stern I'd really consider something like the Honda BF2.3 with the internal gas tank. Little four stroke will go all day on a tank (1.1L) of gas. http://marine.honda.com/outboards/motor-detail/BF2.3
    I had this exact Honda motor on a 19 foot square stern canoe. Used it on a bunch of Missouri River trips here in Montana. Great motor and very fuel efficient. Air cooled so very lightweight and far fewer moving parts than most outboards.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Fun Ball View Post
    Good call, not having to deal with the hassle of the battery is worth it.

Trolling is a full time activity around here so i am expecting you to get excellent advice

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post

FWIW, did a search but as you can imagine I came up with just about everything but what I wanted.

If you can get away with a gas engine do it. Every major manufacturer makes a good product these days.

If you happen to get stuck in a lake that only allows electric, Minn Kota is the ticket.

More is better. Batteries are a pain. if you do this, make sure you get deep cycle batteries, i.e. expensive. Understand to get more thrust, you have to go to 24 or 36 volts, meaning series 2-3 12 volt batteries. Then comes the bank charger for the multiple batteries.

Just get a four stroke gasser.

Edit. By the time you add the motor, cable and a decent battery, you will probably have less weight in a gas engine. Always a consideration in a boat.
    Last edited by TNKen; 04-12-2016 at 10:42 AM.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).