Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Head Monster 108

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Skiing them as we speak. So damp, smooth, stable, fast. Surprisingly easy to ski, too.
    So far, so stoked.
    I know right. Besides the weight, they are so easy to ski. I got used to the weight (mostly) after the second day on them.

I have 191 108s and I dont mind taking them in the bumps. That wasnt really the case with 191 Katanas. I dont get how HEAD did it. Burlier than the Katana, while being easier to ski??

Evergreene here, I changed my old Username (the one of my real name I made after HS)

Whats the deal with this ski? Thought I would wait until they were back in stock the beginning of this year and all the 184s and 191s are gone?

WTF?

Did they make like 5 pairs cause they figured only a few people would buy them?

Head, man up make this effin ski in some adult sizes!

I skied the 184 Monster 98s the other day. The short story is that I like the 191 Monster 108s better..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm only 5'7" sub 150# - but the 98's @ 177's are still way out there - there's simply no way I was going to find the top end of it. [And it's not like I'm not that kind of skier - my current quiver includes the Bodacious [2014 /w metal] and Cochise, Kastle FX94 and MX98.]

I didn't find them super exciting, but they are the bomb if you want stable and the ability to blow through absolutely anything [including downed trees, I suspect]. I suppose someone way north of 200# and/or 6' might be able to stress the 177's - though I'd like to actually see it before I believe it's true.

They're not skis for the mere mortal, even in shorty sizes, IMO.

If I could find a killer deal on the 108's I'd try them just to say I did - but I suspect I'm not going to love the traditional camber/build much.

This shop shows stock. Check with them perhaps.

https://skiyard.com/products/skis-20...nt=52953087509

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    Whats the deal with this ski? Thought I would wait until they were back in stock the beginning of this year and all the 184s and 191s are gone?

WTF?

Did they make like 5 pairs cause they figured only a few people would buy them?

Head, man up make this effin ski in some adult sizes!

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    I skied the 184 Monster 98s the other day. The short story is that I like the 191 Monster 108s better..

How do you like the 191s in the resort? Can you bring them around ok, or do they take a lot of effort. The 184s I demoed were super easy to ski, but still had a ton of top end. Tough to know if I'd like the 191s better without trying them, but chances of finding a demo in that size is 0.

Head Monster 108

How do you like the 191s in the resort? Can you bring them around ok, or do they take a lot of effort. The 184s I demoed were super easy to ski, but still had a ton of top end. Tough to know if I'd like the 191s better without trying them, but chances of finding a demo in that size is 0.
    I only have 2 days on the 184 98s..

The 191 108s dont feel like they require much more effort. I find the 184 98s to be just as “one dimensional” and for that specific purpose I’d just rather be on the 191 big gun. They both ask you to be on your game, driving through your shins, but both are easy to ski when you do that. I dont think the 191s are any harder to bring around.

My 191 108s look like they have a little less camber (height and length), and feel a little more loose. It is a very minimal difference, but noticeable. Idk if that’s because of different years(16 vs 17) or different profiles on each waist width..So the jump from 184cm to 191cm feels like a wash to me, because of that ever so slightly “looser” feeling on the 108s.

The 184 Monster 98s are not any easier to ski in moguls, and that’s pretty much the main reason I got them (besides getting them for super cheap). I thought the smaller length and thinner waist would be much better in tight spots, yet still provide all that phenomenal stability. I was wrong. It definitely is still uber-stable, but not any better in tight spots.

One area I can recommend the 184 98, is flat out ripping groomers. They are more carvey with the tighter radius, and have a little more “life” to them coming out of the turn. For some reason this doesnt translate well to bumps, but these wider monsters just arent meant for moguls.

I don’t intentionally ski groomers, I am more of a bumps & steeps kind of guy, which is where I am at a loss with the shorter, thinner monsters. The 191 108 is much more confidence inspiring when nuking the fall line, while the 184 98 is no better in bumps. I just personally have no use for the 98s.. while I absolutely love the 108s as a “quiver” ski.

My 98s are 2016s, and my 108s are 2017s..I am very interested in the 2018 versions, since they are said to be about 10% looser. I really like the flex and stability of these skis, and if HEAD kept that stoutness on the new ones, yet gave them a little more rocker, that could be a phenomenal ski to rival the old Katanas.

I hope that makes sense.

TLDR, too much overlap between 184 98s and 191 108s.. they are both designed for going very fast, and the 191s just do a better job of that, while not being much harder to ski in tight spots (they both suck in tight spots).

I like the 98s, just not as much as the 108s.

Last edited by Betelgeuse; 11-23-2017 at 01:50 AM.

Thanks, that helps. I'm going to try and find the 191s, just not ready to pay full retail.

Head Monster 108

Thanks, that helps. I'm going to try and find the 191s, just not ready to pay full retail.
    The 191s are extremely rare. Besides the pair I bought last year (at retail) from Level Nine, I have never seen a pair for sale. I’d be surprised if there were more than 30 pairs of the 191s in America (from all three years, 16’, 17’, and 18’)

If anyone is really interested in some 184 108s pm me I might be willing to sell a pair I've yet to mount. 1 previous mount for tyrolia touring binder (can't believe anyone would actually tour in this ski, and it even has a skin notch in tail) bases are minty and minimal top sheet scratches. Coming off acl surgery I'm not sure I need them.

Quote Originally Posted by sgsbet86 View Post
    If anyone is really interested in some 184 108s pm me I might be willing to sell a pair I've yet to mount. 1 previous mount for tyrolia touring binder (can't believe anyone would actually tour in this ski, and it even has a skin notch in tail) bases are minty and minimal top sheet scratches. Coming off acl surgery I'm not sure I need them.
    What year are they? Pics?

In the old days (like 4-5 years ago) you could just wait for a ski like the 191 Monsters to go on sale, knowing that not many people would buy them. Nowadays, the ski manufacturers have dropped production to the point that if you don't pull the trigger pretty early on a ski like this, its sold out for the season, cause like you said, they only made 10 pairs for that model year.

Head Monster 108

The 191s are extremely rare. Besides the pair I bought last year (at retail) from Level Nine, I have never seen a pair for sale. I’d be surprised if there were more than 30 pairs of the 191s in America (from all three years, 16’, 17’, and 18’)

^this. The best deals I’ve seen on the 184s new, which are more common, are around $480-550. I paid $550 for my 184s, most I’ve paid for a flat ski... ever. I’ve never seen the 191 for sale.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0118.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	983.8 KB 
ID:	217068Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0119.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	952.7 KB 
ID:	217069Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0120.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	919.6 KB 
ID:	217070Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0121.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	948.9 KB 
ID:	217071
    Bases look brand new. Top sheets have very minimal scratching. I'd say overall 9 out of 10 condition. Looking to recoup what I paid $375 in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    ^this. The best deals I’ve seen on the 184s new, which are more common, are around $480-550. I paid $550 for my 184s, most I’ve paid for a flat ski... ever. I’ve never seen the 191 for sale.
    I knew where there was a pair of 191's until today! Went to check on them for you guys and they were such a good fukkin deal, they will be adorning my feet this winter!!
    2 pairs of 184's left there @ $399 brand new

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    I knew where there was a pair of 191's until today! Went to check on them for you guys and they were such a good fukkin deal, they will be adorning my feet this winter!!
    Nice score! PM’d

Nice score! PM’d

I felt pretty good about it!

I never said I was man enough for those

$399 is a steal, well done

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    I never said I was man enough for those

$399 is a steal, well done
    These things are girls skis compared to the old 193 im103's
    and thanks, I got lucky. When I saw them a couple months ago, I could have sworn they were $550
    When I saw the price, I bought them. Same I paid for my 103's in 2003

Head Monster 108

These things are girls skis compared to the old 193 im103's
    This is what I dont understand? How the F can you get anything burlier? My 191 108s are uber heavy, and planky stiff. Burliest skis I have ever owned/seen.

You arent the only one to say this though. What the heck was in those im103s? They were made of 2x4s and steel?

2 layers of thick titanal. They were true bottom feeders. 103 also way heavier.
    Ragnorok from White Dot are super stiff and the core thickness underfoot reminds me of '90's skis, truly burly

2 layers of thick titanal. They were true bottom feeders. 103 also way heavier.
    Ragnorok from White Dot are super stiff and the core thickness underfoot reminds me of '90's skis, truly burly
    I didnt start skiing seriously till 2012. I missed out on all those older skis

I didnt start skiing seriously till 2012. I missed out on all those older skis

They also had less sidecut.
    Basically, they were a fat race ski.

Old 103 183cm is still one of my favourite hardpack ski. No speed limit, long radius but still skiable without super powers. Would be nice to try these new ones!

Sent from my PLK-L01 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    Old 103 183cm is still one of my favourite hardpack ski. No speed limit, long radius but still skiable without super powers. Would be nice to try these new ones!

Sent from my PLK-L01 using TGR Forums mobile app
    So much metal.. sometimes it would respond to turn inputs with "I'll take that underadvisement, but my preference is STRAIGHTLINE!"

I like my Rossi RC112 better
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.