Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    This seller, he's been accepting $200. https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...onster-108-new

Looks like he has 170 and 184 left. Mine haven't arrived yet, but should any day now.
    And that's how I came to own my 4th pair of Head Monsters. Thanks, I had actually given up my hunt for 108s until this thread showed up.

would you guys call these confidence-inspiring skis? first time I got on bonafides i was skiing better and more confidently than ever. turns out i really like damp skis. but i don't charge like some folks here do (maybe topping out at 45ish? don't actually know). these seem a step or two further up the chargy+damp compared to bones. plus an extra 4cm length and 1cm width. do they only come alive at hyper speeds? are they going to make me feel stronger or tell me I'm not pushing them enough?

^ Safe to assume, I picked up a cheap pair of Monster 88 in a super-short 170 for Spring booting, and even at 170 they are plenty stout and weigh 2,000g. Went 177 on the 108's.

Had 2017 180 Bonafide for awhile, Thought they were dead and didn't carve very well on hard snow. Maybe I just wasn't heavy enough for 'em. The 181 Kastle FX95HP is the ski I hoped the Bonafide would be, like it a lot.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 01-14-2021 at 08:19 AM.

Initial impression of the 177's is yes, they're firm. They flex about as advertised but bend into a nice arc with a bit less near tips. My 150# should drive them fine. I don't think they necessarily need to be ridden aggressively but good technique likely rewarded. The better you ski, the more return. This Monster variant will consume those on tired legs / tendency to sit back.

^ Safe to assume, I picked up a cheap pair of Monster 88 in a super-short 170 for Spring booting, and even at 170 they are plenty stout and weigh 2,000g. Went 177 on the 108's.

Had 2017 180 Bonafide for awhile, Thought they were dead and didn't carve very well on hard snow. Maybe I just wasn't heavy enough for 'em. The 181 Kastle FX95HP is the ski I hoped the Bonafide would be, like it a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by L82thegate View Post
    Initial impression of the 177's is yes, they're firm. They flex about as advertised but bend into a nice arc with a bit less near tips. My 150# should drive them fine. I don't think they necessarily need to be ridden aggressively but good technique likely rewarded. The better you ski, the more return. This Monster variant will consume those on tired legs / tendency to sit back.
    thanks, fellas.

would you guys call these confidence-inspiring skis? absolutly yes. It's the better description of them. Their capacity to hold edges and to be stable at any speed is incredible, but it is also very easy to throw them sideways to scrub speed. That makes a lot to feel confident.

do they only come alive at hyper speeds? are they going to make me feel stronger or tell me I'm not pushing them enough? Without any doubt, they feel more lively at speed. Anyway they are still very manageable at lower speed, but less fun and maybe more demanding physically than many others in this case. Although they are not tricky at all and very easy for their level of performance, they definitively are frontside skis.

2016 177 is 2,430 and 2,450g, has a smidge of tip rocker similar to 2012-2014 Mantra. If it's really quiet, you can hear a low growl and muttering (talking trash about you) while leaned in the corner.

2016 177 is 2,430 and 2,450g, has a smidge of tip rocker similar to 2012-2014 Mantra. If it's really quiet, you can hear a low growl and muttering (talking trash about you) while leaned in the corner.
    Nice. 184's are right at 2600g and 191s a bit of 2700g if anyone is curious.

Yes 2740g for my 191.

Skied my 184 Monster 108 for the past two days in a New England storm... 12-15" of dense powder that got shredded and tracked out very quickly into firm chop and crud at the resort.

Some impressions:

These are not the greatest floaty untracked pow ski but are completely serviceable in that role with a old school pilot used to traditional directional pow skiing technique. At least in dense supportive snow. Not surfy at all, but way easier than 207cm GS skis for those of us that remember.

These 108's came into their element after the first 90 minutes once everything at the resort was cut up and tracked out. Supremely stable and completely unflappable for the chop and crud show that was the rest of the day. Could ski fast and carve/blow through stuff in the mid-morning, and then dial it back and slarve/steer around and over the hard piles in the afternoon. Didn't necessarily need to be going fast to make them work but they do better/come alive with some speed... they feel weighty but planted at low speeds.

TLDR: Great East Coast resort pow ski for skiing heavy chop and crud that most pow days devolve into. Ideal day after storm resort ski.

Surprise: Made my 192 Black Diamond blue Zealot feel light and playful!

Funny moment: When my ski buddy went to hand them to me to load in the truck... "Holy fuck these are HEAVY!"

Took my new, old stock 177's out to see how they did on icy groomers that eventually warmed to a nice edgy condition. 100% groomer day & had my daily's in the roof box just in case. I'm totally impressed with them and how effortless they are. Mounted at +1 cuz I like the front of a ski & have a forward stance. Not so heavy that they can't pull off quick edge to edge turns but you never have to wonder what they will do. Just don't tolerate being in the back seat but to be expected of a ski this stiff. There are a lot of PNW days these would be the shit, at least after the powder golden hour expires.

Took my new, old stock 177's out to see how they did on icy groomers that eventually warmed to a nice edgy condition. 100% groomer day & had my daily's in the roof box just in case. I'm totally impressed with them and how effortless they are. Mounted at +1 cuz I like the front of a ski & have a forward stance. Not so heavy that they can't pull off quick edge to edge turns but you never have to wonder what they will do. Just don't tolerate being in the back seat but to be expected of a ski this stiff. There are a lot of PNW days these would be the shit, at least after the powder golden hour expires.
    Awesome. Can you post your height & weight? I bought 177s and 184s and haven't decided which to mount up first.

Didn't see your post til today. I'm 5' 9", 150 lbs. and ski's range between 180 to 172. The 177 Monster reviewed favorably with some folks heavier than myself so the 177 felt right.

Didn't see your post til today. I'm 5' 9", 150 lbs. and ski's range between 180 to 172. The 177 Monster reviewed favorably with some folks heavier than myself so the 177 felt right.
    Thanks.

Dang, wish I saw this earlier this year.

love head skis and the Monster 108 looks nice

They are.

Im back. I love you guys.

Where's the party at boys, where can I find me some 191 Monster 108s..or what new skis are similar?

Europe buying experience:

I just got myself some Monster 108 in 177 and had the craziest (best and most involved) customer care with an online shop ever. I am situated in Italy and ordered from Spain with mounting of the binding (boot sole length, weight, level in the order form) on Saturday. On Sunday evening at 8.45 I got a call asking about the mounting point (factory recommended, forward or backward 1 or 2 lines) and as I don´t speak Spanish they tried to let me be called by someone who speaks Italian. As they couldn´t find the one who speaks Italian, they called again and said they will find someone speaking English to call. So I got called by someone speaking English at 9.00 in the evening on a Sunday to whom I could explain, that I would like to have the mount at factory recommended. Never had a buying experience like this one before.

They seem to have a few more in 177 (no other lengths), so here is the link (I was not able to get their international site to work with the registration (captcha not working), so you will have to do all the work with google translator on their national site):
    https://esqui-outlet.com/es/inicio/1...13-114127.html

Maybe you could clarify directly during the personalization process, where you would like your mount point, so they do not have to call you. (As far as I can see from some pictures on the internet, there seem to be 5 lines of mounting and the center one is the longest being the factory recommended.)
    Last edited by powlaz; 03-21-2021 at 04:15 PM.

So glad I found another pair of 191s. Can't wait to ski these more this year. One of my favorite skis ever.

Dub post. These posts are bumping this thread up the chain??

Head, please bring back these skis in a limited run!

Glad I have pair of 184cm in very good shape. Such an awesome ski!

Lähetetty minun LYA-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

I’ve heard a few people lately call these skis old relics of a time past.

These skis feel “futuristic” to me, moreso than any of my other chargers.. From the weight distribution/graphene tech to the camber profile that is so easy easily depressible the thing almost skis like a flat ski when you really need it to. They provide a different take on charging for me that no other ski has ever come close to providing.
    Last edited by Velomayniac; 10-11-2023 at 07:42 AM.

^ Your long initial review was great, no need to shorten it.

Head Monster 108

Very cool ski but I thought they were kind of scary in 3d snow compared to a lot of the straighter and-or more rockered, -5-7cm mount point skis around the same waist width. They don’t float well and the tips want to engage into the turn while they dive into the snow. I probably could have detuned the tips more in hindsight. I also do not like sidecut in powder. They were outrageously fun in spring corn, windbuff and what west coast skiers call firm off piste conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    …and what west coast skiers call firm off piste conditions.
    Perspective eh?! ^ location checks out.