Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Looks like the Monster 98s and 108s are not coming back next year..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    What???

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    What???
    You didn’t seriously assume Head will sell enough of the 98 and 108 to keep going? Besides for some TGR junkies for the most the Monsters are just a relict from the past.

Lame

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I am 95% sure I am going to sell my 184 108, PM with interest, post to go up in GS soon.

Anyone here have experience with '18 Monster 98, especially in 191 length?

Andrew

Exactly the same as 17 or 16 Monster 98 (excepted for canadian's market, 18 have tips softened a bit).
    Very good fat GS skis, awesome for skiing fast in crud, chop or bad snow.

Officially discontinued next year, as the Monster 108

^which is why ya’ll kooks need to buy buy buy my set of 184 108s on GS! I’ll gladly sell with the mojos if anyone wants those

Not that anyone asked, but I bought Self Jupiter's Monsters.
    Day 1 at A Basin was a weekday with a couple days of consecutive snows. My mind was blown by these things. Basically, they just feel like skis, only better. They floated just fine in shin deep powder (despite reports that they are submarines, I was getting them to plane pretty easily), and as the snow got more and more beaten up, they slayed. Despite being intimidatingly stiff and heavy, I could make whatever turn shapes the terrain warranted, and they feel surprisingly light underfoot. Not nimble, necessarily, but willing. I didn't feel like I had to fight them. There was no period of adjustment in terms of my technique, as I'm accustomed to skiing mostly traditional camber, but I did have to recalibrate my brain as I started to understand the capabilities of these skis. They are so ridiculously stable, so amazingly damp and smooth, that without any overnight change in my skiing ability I am instantly better and faster on these things. They charge through chopped up snow like nothing I've ever skied, hold an edge on steep, crusty stuff, and absolutely rail on hardpack. The term confidence inspiring is wildly overused, but in this case it is totally warranted. I felt like a goddamned rockstar for a day.

Day 2 at A Basin I was on not-so-fresh legs and the light was the flattest light that there ever was. Then it started snowing, so visibility was zero. The snow was variable patches of crust, refrozen chunks, windblown this and that, etc. I had a tough day on the Monsters. When I can't see shit I become tentative, and these skis predictably don't respond well to being fear steered. It was a humbling experience. I went from making my most heroic turns of the season the day before to failing miserably to ski that same terrain with any grace or fluidity. So it goes. I've gotten my ass kicked by less demanding skis in similar conditions plenty of times. Lots of people can make nice looking turns in good conditions, but the real skiers are the ones who look just as good when the conditions are terrible.

So the message is, and I think the Blister reviews capture these attributes admirably, that these are skis that really reward good technique. They are stiff, heavy, and have a long effective edge, and you need to ski them with authority. At the same time, they have a pretty large sweet spot, in the sense that you don't have to ski them perfectly. The uniformly stiff flex saved me time and again when I got a bit off balance. If I got too far forward or back, instead of folding, the tips and tails would gently prop me back up and allow me to carry on skiing far faster than was right or reasonable. I'm so stoked on these things.

I’m psyched that you’re so stoked on them and that they went to a good home.

Great description, TagoMago.

I'm only on the 'little brother' 98s, but can totally relate to your writeup. They make me feel a little bit superman-like, and I wonder how they would go if I were a really good skier.

Head Monster 108

I skied 191 108s yesterday and going out right now with them. Great skis, one of my favorite setups. A little one dimensional in their turn shape, but it works just about everywhere. I think they float fine, but not as good as 191 Katanas.

Have you guys noticed, the camber underfoot is stupid easy to de-camber, and is basically flat when weighted. I think this is why they are so easy to ski.

I’m looking for a ski like this, but with more rocker, especially in the tail. What’s todays equivalent to Nordica Helldorado?

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Great description, TagoMago.

I'm only on the 'little brother' 98s, but can totally relate to your writeup. They make me feel a little bit superman-like, and I wonder how they would go if I were a really good skier.
    Thanks. It turns out that it's not easy to express the totally subjective experience of skiing while also communicating specific information that could be generalized to other people's subjective experience. And even more so, to do it without resorting to tired cliches, marketing speak, and other assorted rhetorical crutches. After giving it a try late last night, I have a much greater appreciation for the skill of gear reviewers who do it well.

Anyhow, if I wasn't already very pleased with my Liberty Variant 97s, I would absolutely be hunting for some Monster 98s. I bet those things rule as a Western resort ski.

I skied 191 108s yesterday and going out right now with them. Great skis, one of my favorite setups. A little one dimensional in their turn shape, but it works just about everywhere. I think they float fine, but not as good as 191 Katanas.

Have you guys noticed, the camber underfoot is stupid easy to de-camber, and is basically flat when weighted. I think this is why they are so easy to ski.

I’m looking for a ski like this, but with more rocker, especially in the tail. What’s todays equivalent to Nordica Helldorado?

There’s a cheap-ass pair of 190ish Liberty Variant 113s on GS.

Softer and looser than Monsters but still rage. I would assume looser than Wrenegade 112 but I’ve never tried an ON3P, gasp

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    There’s a cheap-ass pair of 190ish Liberty Variant 113s on GS.

Softer and looser than Monsters but still rage. I would assume looser than Wrenegade 112 but I’ve never tried an ON3P, gasp
    I’m looking for something really loose and fun, but super heavy, like Helldorados. Idk if anything exists like that anymore.

I’m looking for something really loose and fun, but super heavy, like Helldorados. Idk if anything exists like that anymore.

Maybe try 203 Shiro's?

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=319381

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    They're long enough.

Head Monster 108

A little too long for me. I ski too many bumps at Squaw for 200cm skis. Also Shiro is low profile rocker? I’m looking for something super loose.

A little too long for me. I ski too many bumps at Squaw for 200cm skis. Also Shiro is low profile rocker? I’m looking for something super loose.
    Have you considered the Soul 7? It’s the pinnacle of ski design.
    U.P.: up

Quote Originally Posted by stradissimo View Post
    That's retarded.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

The Volkl One is super loose [full rocker and massive splay], and is pretty dang heavy [really close to the Bodacious for equal lengths]. But it's also 116 or something underfoot.
    They're really quite a lot of fun, IMO.

I think a heavy core 193 MVP or used 193 Gunsmoke might work. Maybe even the new rustlers.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    That's retarded.

]
    He may or may not have been bullshitting but actually was bullshitting. Come on, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    That grip walk shit is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by FlimFlamvanHam View Post
    He may or may not have been bullshitting but actually was bullshitting. Come on, man.
    I have discussed the Soul 7 and Aever with NW_Skier on the padded seats.
    U.P.: up

Full Rossi gonzo ski package dude

I have discussed the Soul 7 and Aever with NW_Skier on the padded seats.
    I feel a shirt coming out of this endeavor