Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Redoing the silicone on glove fingertips

Is this something I can really do, or do I just need to get new gloves every year? I washed the gloves and added a little silicone adhesive, but it doesn't seem to do much and will probably just come off again.
    And while we're on the topic, why do so few companies think putting grippy shit on the thumb is a good idea? HELLO?! Idiots.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Leather gloves last longer. Hestra, kinco, BD, marmot, etc..

Skip the dakine, burton, swany fabric shit.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

LOL, ok, so new gloves it is.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Leather gloves last longer. Hestra, kinco, BD, marmot, etc..

Skip the dakine, burton, swany fabric shit.
    I didn't realize all these companies made bike gloves? The question is asked here in sprocket rockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I didn't realize all these companies made bike gloves? The question is asked here in sprocket rockets.
    Whoops. I didn't see that.... but kind along the same lines: bike gloves always fall apart, work gloves like mechanix last a lot longer and are 1/4 the price.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Hestra used to make the greatest bike gloves. I don't know what's available here in the US anymore though.

I've had good luck with Ergon gloves the last few years, they hold up well enough and they fit really well.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Whoops. I didn't see that.... but kind along the same lines: bike gloves always fall apart, work gloves like mechanix last a lot longer and are 1/4 the price.
    Oh, I thought it was a joke. Work gloves are pretty close to the same thing, sometimes, but they tend not to have the grippy fingers. Not the ones I've seen.
    No longer stuck.

I ride with work gloves now that bike gloves all seen to be synthetic and suck at lasting and protecting my skin. As such, yes, Kinco makes some good ones and so does Wells-Lamont.

I skidded across pavement on leather gloves ages ago and then kept riding in them for several more seasons. Never had a synthetic pair last a year. I miss better padding, but not enough to put up with that.

Treat leather well and it's dexterous as, well, I dunno, at least third base, anyway.

Why don't you put a piece of grip tape on your brake levers and get back to dropping your knowledge in other threads?

I haven't tried it yet but I bet that good leather batting gloves would work great as bike gloves and would probably hold up reasonably well. If you're looking for great dexterity golf gloves ought to do it and they can be had for cheap but they might not last too long. Sure neither of those have sticky stuff on the fingertips but so what.

Leather sounds waaaaaaaay too hot. Also, not really as concerned about protection as I am about comfort and control. We're talking XC trails around Missoula. Barely even hit underbrush, let alone crash into a rock garden.
    No longer stuck.

PM creaky fossil, I bet he has some recommendations.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

+1 for grip tape. Some hardware stores sell it by the foot so your total cost should be like $2.

haha on grip tape.

buy cheapest gloves every year, rinse, repeat.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Leather sounds waaaaaaaay too hot. Also, not really as concerned about protection as I am about comfort and control. We're talking XC trails around Missoula. Barely even hit underbrush, let alone crash into a rock garden.
    Leather is the shit for the touch zones, the back can be whatever for ventilation if that's what's important to you. I checked out some really nice Nike goatskin leather gloves today that I think might do the trick, gonna look around for a few days and see what fits right.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    PM creaky fossil, I bet he has some recommendations.
    That's the ticket, stuckie should just head on down to creaky's office and ask him directly. I want to be a fly on the wall when something like that happens

^ That would be like Benny accepting a ski off with STFU

Actually surprised Creaky hasn't chimed in yet. Anyone think it would be worth checking in on him? Maybe he's fallen and he can't get up?

What's the big deal with bike gloves? We spend $2-10,000 on bikes. We replace chains, derailleurs, tires, grips, etc on a regular basis because they are essentially wear items. We spend a few hundred dollars each year getting our suspension serviced. And it's hard to stomach paying $15-25 bucks for a couple pairs of gloves that are specifically designed to be comfortable while cycling? What the fuck?

And what's with the sticky fingers? Are people really missing their shifts and running into trees because their fingers are slipping off the levers? Jesus H! If you need grip tape on your shifters you probably need new cable & housing and maybe help repositioning said lever. Shifting shouldn't be that hard doods.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Actually surprised Creaky hasn't chimed in yet. Anyone think it would be worth checking in on him? Maybe he's fallen and he can't get up?

What's the big deal with bike gloves? We spend $2-10,000 on bikes. We replace chains, derailleurs, tires, grips, etc on a regular basis because they are essentially wear items. We spend a few hundred dollars each year getting our suspension serviced. And it's hard to stomach paying $15-25 bucks for a couple pairs of gloves that are specifically designed to be comfortable while cycling? What the fuck?

And what's with the sticky fingers? Are people really missing their shifts and running into trees because their fingers are slipping off the levers? Jesus H! If you need grip tape on your shifters you probably need new cable & housing and maybe help repositioning said lever. Shifting shouldn't be that hard doods.
    I personally find shimano brake levers to be kind of slick.. something about the matte finish. Not an issue 90% of the time but when the temps drop and my fingers and gloves are cold, I've had slippage. And when it's really cold and I wear my windstopper fleece gloves, then I definitely have issues. So I put 3 cents of grip tape on the levers and while I was at it, put some on my shifter paddles. It doesn't take away from my riding experience otherwise, so what's the big deal?

I've gone through a few pairs of Giro DNDs and like them - simple, cheap, comes in lots of colors. Rivet II is similar, but better ventilated and a few bucks more.

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    It doesn't take away from my riding experience otherwise, so what's the big deal?
    I accept your point.

Heh heh. Not that big a deal. 60% giving shit to Stucky, deservedly. 40% wondering why, seriously, it's an issue to spend less than 1% of ones cycling budget on gloves. Your case is separate from Stucky, as when the temps drop glove choice gets creative, and things often need to be modified to keep us spinning.

Really though. Now I'm stressing out about Creaky. Hope that poor bastard hasn't had a stroke or a coronary.
    However many are in a shit ton.

My thing is more that most bike gloves fit poorly and I like leather gloves better than the techy lightweight breathable stuff they tell us we need our bike gloves to be made out of. I don't have slippage issues...

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    40% wondering why, seriously, it's an issue to spend less than 1% of ones cycling budget on gloves.
    Things that wear out prematurely tend to do so at the most inopportune times and/or function badly for a significant portion of their "useful life." Such things are shitty and not to be desired. PM Ron Swanson.

Grip tape on shifter paddles, brake levers, and dropper remotes works really, really well out here in the humidity of eastern NY/western CT.

Things get so sloppy/slimy/sweaty half the year, it works way better than grippy shit on the glove fingers, which, yes, wears of pretty damn quickly.

Bought a big roll of the stuff for general around the house use years ago, has lasted ages. Needs replacing on the bike bits maybe every two seasons or so. Super cheap and easy.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

I just put the griptape on my fingertips.

Just be careful if you get a booger.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

You should try applying a little seam grip to the gloves. Its super durable and very grippy once dry. Works great for other gear repairs as well.