Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKuba View Post
    Bump for hot season! I could use a sanity check on replacing AC in Denver-ish. Got a quote for $12K to replace existing system with a 3-ton 13 SEER unit and air handler, which sounds insane compared to the (admittedly dated) #s thrown around in this thread

However, there are the following potential mitigating factors:
    - Cramped space: The air handler is in a super shallow attic -- they'll need a child to crawl around up there, which I figure comes at a premium
    - Duct work: Adding one return (going from 1 to 2), sealing and potentially replacing existing ducts because the air currently coming out of the current unit smells like blown attic insulation
    - I really like the company -- they've treated me well on heating work, particularly when stuck to their ~$300 quote for a "heating outage check-up" that ended up with the owner spending the better part of a weekend tearing up walls to locate and fix a burst pipe (but that was 5+ years ago)

Add'l fun facts:
    - ~1700 sq ft single story, want potential to expand to ~2500 (sideways, not up)
    - Separate AC unit -- have hot water/glycol baseboard heat. That will need some service soon, too, but I don't see a reasonably-priced route to combine heating and AC systems

Not looking to spend a month collecting bids to save a few hundred, just want to make sure i'm not off by 50%+. Also, can I expect to save significantly if I wait out AC season?
    I just paid $8k for a new AC and furnace in Lafayette.

summer up here lasts about 2 weeks and we are right in the middle of it, a blistering 79F
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    summer up here lasts about 2 weeks and we are right in the middle of it, a blistering 79F
    I'm sure there's a corresponding seasonal thread about firewood price arbitrage

I paid maybe 3k in Boulder 3 years ago. Crawl space installation. I went with a single guy operation, but if I could do it again I'd go with H&M Mechanical out of Lafayette, their quote was close and they've been easy to work with on other things.

Edit: guess it was 4k, seeing as I posted in this thread already.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by BigKuba View Post
    ...potentially replacing existing ducts...
    Guessing they're not in the $12K?

You should get another quote at least.

Cool. I emailed H&M, Danno, and PM'd ive-seen-black-diamonds, CCing Rontele for good measure in case that's still a thing

Previous AC tune-up guys have mentioned how much of a PITA accessing the blower was, but I don't know if that justifies such a large difference in price...

Thanks y'all, appreciate it
    Last edited by BigKuba; 08-08-2019 at 07:43 PM.

Have you looked into a mini-split system, many options and can be set up for future expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    just had it installed in October, haven't even used it yet. 2.5 ton, 13 SEER Lennox for $4k.

Now, the way this always works on TGR is numerous people tell me I got robbed even though I got a number of quotes and went with the lowest one.

dude, you totally got robbed....... seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Rednaked View Post
    First world problems. You live in frickin San Diego....99% of the Earths population would crawl over barbed wire, risk their life's savings with criminal coyotes just for the opportunity to work in an un-air conditioned kitchen to feed you and you're going to f-ing cry about it? F.U. Move north or move to the mountains if you want something cooler

Spent $4k last year to get central AC in our newish 1800 sq ft 2 story house. 3 ton 14 SEER Bryant. Was an easy install above our gas furnace. Routing to exterior unit was short.

As an aside, we mostly got it for the weeks when Tahoe basin gets smoke from wildfires in NorCal etc. Ironically this year has been smoke free so far. And that doesn’t bother me a bit.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Spent $4k last year to get central AC in our newish 1800 sq ft 2 story house. 3 ton 14 SEER Bryant. Was an easy install above our gas furnace. Routing to exterior unit was short.

As an aside, we mostly got it for the weeks when Tahoe basin gets smoke from wildfires in NorCal etc. Ironically this year has been smoke free so far. And that doesn’t bother me a bit.
    That settles it, you gotta pony up for a new ac system every year to keep the wildfires away. I’d throw you some cash to help but I didn’t do it this year and that might make it not work next year.

Forkin' 100+ degrees and my AC is shittin' the bed. Oy vey!
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    You should get another quote at least.
    Your quote seems high compared to mine ( 4 ton 18 SEER unit installed for $6,600 ). Mine was a pretty easy install. No new ducting required, new blower on top of existing heater and a raised foundation to run the lines about 10 ft to the outdoor condenser/fan. I went with Goodman, as they had a lifetime warranty.

O and oddly, this spring/summer has been the coolest I remember in the last few years. Likely have run the AC 10 days in the last few months, BUT the hot time of year is approaching and the next 6 weeks will likely suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I don't have duct work, but the HVAC guy who just quoted me a mini-split said if I had ductwork it would be around 5k to do my house. The mini-split is 16k.

I bought a portable and another window unit. We don't need often enough to justify the $.

Fucking Global Warmingz-Need AC

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I don't have duct work
    We didn’t either (radiant heat). We got quotes for a 1700sf single story space with 4:12 attic that ranged from $15k to $27k based on options that included a single zone traditional air conditioner (14 seer) to 2-zone mini-splits run off a single compressor. Bumping the seer rating above 14 added $2k it seemed to any of the options.

But, you’re welcome Portland, no 100 deg days this summer since we got AC...
    I really do enjoy sleeping without sweating...

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Forkin' 100+ degrees and my AC is shittin' the bed. Oy vey!
    Probably 'cause someone left a window open.

11.3k for the unit and ductwork. Second story only, walkout first floor stays cool enough and we saved a lot by only putting ductwork in the attic space.

Works great. Love it, best $$ I could ever have spent on my house. Makes fire season soooo much less stressful.

6500 for a 1.5ton with air handler and new duct work (house is hot water heat had no existing ducts). House is 1300sq ft 1 level ranch. We ran one duct to the basement for the side we plan to finish.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Even if you don't finish it it's probably better for it to be conditioned space. Doesn't have to be kept as cool as living space but it will help with dampness.

Even if you don't finish it it's probably better for it to be conditioned space. Doesn't have to be kept as cool as living space but it will help with dampness.
    He's in Utah.

Dampness.

lol

No he's in upstate New York now. Yeah dampness.

lolol

No he's in upstate New York now. Yeah dampness.

lolol
    Heh. Fucker should change his location. Your idea - it is a good one.

I did the spray foam on the walls too. Stuff is like concrete. Once I finish it should be super nice and add about 700.more sq ft.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Probably 'cause someone left a window open.

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism