Central Europe Suggestions

With the assumption that your primary location is Budapest and it's summer, where else would you visit?

Summer in Budapest is almost unbearably hot... You probably know this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Croatia and Czech Republic if only for the food. Mmmmm
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Summer in Budapest is almost unbearably hot... You probably know this?
    I'd be going for a swim meet, so the Budapest portion of the trip in non-negotiable.

Prague is a great time for a few days.

+1 on hot. And many urpeens don't do A/C.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Despite the disneyfication, Prague is a must.

Slovakia is also great. It has all of the old-world charm, but hasn't been discovered by the tourists yet. That also makes it a bit tougher to get around, but most young people speak English. Plus, it has great mountains and it is cheap.

If you are heading the other direction, Ljubljana in Slovenia is a great city for a few days. Not far outside the city are massive caverns that are open to the public. I didn't think I would be awe-struck by a cavern, but I was. Plan to spend a full day on them.

Will you have a car?
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

Quote Originally Posted by davieboot View Post
    Will you have a car?
    Still very early in the planning process, but if I plan to get out much beyond Budapest I'll likely rent a car, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Still very early in the planning process, but if I plan to get out much beyond Budapest I'll likely rent a car, yes.
    We road tripped through Germany, Austria, and the CR over about two weeks one spring several years ago. It was a phenomenal trip. Get a good car... lots of fun roads. Borrowed a friend's little Alfa something or other hatchback last time we were in Austria and it was a great choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Transylvaina is pretty k00l, and not too expensive.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Slovenia for mountains and fly fishing for marble trout, Croatia for beaches, food, and maybe a sailboat trip, Diocletian's palace, and stop at Plitvice park on the way.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Great suggestions so far. This is a ways out still. The event is not until next summer. I'm just trying to get a feeling whether I should look into it more seriously, and it sounds like I should. I've never traveled to that part of the world.

That is a fantastic area to spend time in!

I wasn't the biggest fan of Budapest but there is some beautiful and unique art, i.e. the Zizkov Television Tower and David Cerny's babies, and the baths are tremendous.

Kutna Hora's Ossuary, bone church, is worth checking out as well, south of Prague (which I believe is the most spectacular city on the planet!)
    -but that's a pretty long haul when Vienna is so nearby

The High Tatra mountains in Slovakia are beautiful for hiking, they are cheap, and empty.
    -stay at a 4 star hotel for <$50/night, up from Strbske Pleso taking the funicular

Double plugboots on Croatia and the Plitvitce lakes, but get to the lakes early to avoid the throng of people.
    -also check out Tito's abandoned mansion that is near the park, The Villa Izvor, it is not on the tourist route but is a unique slice of decadence in decay
    -Coastal Croatia is beautiful, I liked Zadar for its walled peninsular city, take a ferry ride to an island for a nice escape and eat a 6 course lunch on a veranda overlooking the sea

Slovenia is outstanding imo!
    Lake Bled is beautiful for the Triglav national park and the Vintgar Gorge, as are the hikes into the Julian Alps from Lake Bohin
    -Ljubljana has a castle protected by dragons
    -fish the drinkable waters of the beautiful Soca River from Kobarid or Bovec (I loved Bovec!), or go kayaking, rafting, or canyoneering.
    -the road from Bovec up over the pass is sweet, as is the hike up the Slovenian Matterhorn

If there is football "soccer" on, go enjoy it with the locals at a bar or get to a game if you can, they go crazy!
    -everyone I met was very accommodating and friendly

Make sure to eat horse meat and wild boar, wash it down with Lasko pivo and reminisce about living under a benevolent dictator.

-pm me if you need any more specifics, I can dig around in my journals

Here's a link to the TR I put together on fly fishing over there, it has some pictures
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...olov-Slovenija

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post
    Here's a link to the TR I put together on fly fishing over there, it has some pictures
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...olov-Slovenija
    Oh, wow. Looks spectacular!

I loved our visit to Hungry. After Budapest we took the train to Vienna which is another awesome city and then to Prague. I love to travel by train when in Yurp and skip the car as much as possible, but if you want to see the sights, then a car may be helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Hungarian F1 Grand Prix is 22-24th July track is very close to Budapest.

If that kind of thing is your bag.

It might also be a good weekend to avoid Budapest - hotel prices may be high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I loved our visit to Hungry. After Budapest we took the train to Vienna which is another awesome city and then to Prague. I love to travel by train when in Yurp and skip the car as much as possible, but if you want to see the sights, then a car may be helpful.
    Yeah, I think this would be fun, too. Even thought maybe fly into somewhere like Munich and take the train.

I'm with Viva - Transylvania is supposed to be awesome.

My Sister, an Archaeologist, spends the summers working in Sibenik & surroundings on the Dalmatian coast. She adores it. It's ~6.5 hours by car to get there from Budapest, but then again so is Transylvania. The Tatras or Slovenian Alps are 4 hours away.

PM Paz for local SLO awesomeness options.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

If you're in that part of the world jumping up to Poland is a no brainer in my opinion. I had a fantastic week there a couple years ago. Krakow is a super cool city and you're only a bus ride away from Zakopane and the Polish side of the Tatras. Food is great, beautiful women everywhere, people are super friendly, and it doesn't hit the pocketbook that hard. I lived like a king and only managed to spend about $700 in a week.

I've bummed around Slovenia a bit as well. Also really nice, Lake Bled is cool but pretty touristy if you're into that thing. I unfortunately didn't get to Ljubljana but everyone who did had good things to say.

Badass underground bar in Krakow that we found.

Main square in Old Town of Krakow. One of the largest town squares in Europe. Repeatedly went to a bar just a stones throw away - the bartender was beautiful. I miss her.

Poland looking into the Slovakian side of the Tatras/Carpathians.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Hungarian women. Jesus H.

Check out Lake Balaton.

+1 on Poland. Some cool nightlife in Krakow. I've never been to Hungary...