Page 99 of 107 FirstFirst ... 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 2651
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I saw this recently on my FB feed

· Somerset, KY
    Checks out. Lot of people around the Lake Cumberland region that think their machines are worth more than they are. Plus, drugs.

Went down there in a former life to watch a buddy buy a houseboat. Got to the dock and the thing was partially sunk (not at all like the pictures, shocker!) and Cletus still wanted full ask for it and insisted the hull would be dry once it's pumped.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Found a 2010 Subaru Impreza for $3500. 153K on the clock. Manual transmission. Nothing special, but appears to be in decent shape and a fair price. Anything I should be aware of on those?
    I used to sell these and am still a Subaru guy at heart.

The EJ253 in that car by 2010 has been pretty much figured out when it comes to issues. Although the issue is still the head gaskets as it always has been in EJ25x’s, finding replacement engines are not hard. Head gaskets involve dropping the engine, and they’ll do other stuff while they’re in there too.

Hell, you could probably find an EZ30 or EZ36 to replace that engine with for more power and reliability as they have timing chains rather than a belt.

All depends on if you’ve got a good Subaru mechanic nearby too.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    I used to sell these and am still a Subaru guy at heart.

The EJ253 in that car by 2010 has been pretty much figured out when it comes to issues. Although the issue is still the head gaskets as it always has been in EJ25x’s, finding replacement engines are not hard. Head gaskets involve dropping the engine, and they’ll do other stuff while they’re in there too.

Hell, you could probably find an EZ30 or EZ36 to replace that engine with for more power and reliability as they have timing chains rather than a belt.

All depends on if you’ve got a good Subaru mechanic nearby too.
    Good intel. Thanks. Now if only that dickwad seller hadn't ghosted me. Haha.

When people ask me about Subarus, I tell them this:
    1. If you buy new, budget an extra $3k for a head gasket down the road. Put the money aside now, and avoid the sting. It still costs less than any other similar car. If you buy used, do the same. $3K for a headgasket you say? When it's all in pieces and they let you know about the other stuff that's 3/4 worn out, you'd best be ready to spend more than the original bullshit low estimate.
    2. If it has a CVT tranny, make sure it's got a zillion miles on the drivetrain warranty.
    3. Get some black electrical tape to cover the Check Engine Light.
    Otherwise, there's nothing but love. It's what makes a Subaru a Subaru.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Solid advice^^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    FB marketplace is where pond scum settles.
    I'll say this tho. My wife puts the craziest things that we would otherwise throw away and or have to pay to throw away and people come get it. FB marketplace is like a free junk hauling service.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I'll say this tho. My wife puts the craziest things that we would otherwise throw away and or have to pay to throw away and people come get it. FB marketplace is like a free junk hauling service.
    Much like the Reverend Floater’s all-time advice post, I wonder how far we could push the envelope on there by progressively posting up weirder and weirder shit until it no longer sells?

We have 3 cars for the 2 of us and at times I think that is really stoopid. My V70R is now like my pickup truck for going surfing, skiing and hauling the dogs around. I was feeling bad about the lack of love shown to her lately, so today I spend 3 hours washing and detailing her inside and out. When I was all done I stepped back and told Inga I still love her. Sure, her paint is faded with the clear coat failing in spots, but look at my old ass self. She cleaned up really well, smells good and still honestly feels like 90% of the car I bought in 2006. In 1300 miles I will take her in for a major service and I am thinking a front end suspension refresh, then she will feel like new with 213k on the odometer. Old Volvo wagons rock on.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    QFT. Used to have a 2.5 manual 97 Outback. Absolutely loved that car. Bought it used for next to nothing from an auction house, had to do the front hubs and plugs on it right away, but it was a beast that just kept going. No major issues with it for years, just regular maintenance and the occasional replacement of random parts e.g. PCV valve shit the bed one morning but easy fix.

Sold it for what I paid for it, and included service history. Pointed out that the head gasket hadn't blown up on it while I owned it so caveat emptor.

The buyer rings me up within a week of selling it and says the check engine light came on. He brought it back over, we plugged the scan tool in, turned the light off, stuck tape over it, then he went on his merry way. Never heard from him again, so problem solved.

Former boss had the same car, but her head gasket fully gave up one autumn morning on the way up to main lodge at Mammoth. She replaced it, and it ran for many years after that.
    Heh - our CEL has been on for about 5 years... I occasionally check it with a scan tool, always shows "Engine misfire on cylinder <n>" - clear it... it comes back on in fairly short order.

Our Subaru mech said they set the engine misfire threshold too low.

now I wait for some electrical system to do a VW and shit the bed to write the thing off.
    QFT

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Much like the Reverend Floater’s all-time advice post, I wonder how far we could push the envelope on there by progressively posting up weirder and weirder shit until it no longer sells?
    I'm gonna say the ad will be censored long before the demand dries up.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Our Subaru mech said they set the engine misfire threshold too low.
    Or the plug tube seals are seeping (which is an easy fix)

The used car market it utterly and truly fucked. Saw this listing on CL last night. I think I'm gonna cry...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metro.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	240.3 KB 
ID:	403427

Can this crap crash already? Sheesh! This car would've been a hundred bucks like 20 years ago.

That is the classic "cash for clunkers" type car. If it ran they gave you $1k in trade.

The used car market it utterly and truly fucked. Saw this listing on CL last night. I think I'm gonna cry...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metro.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	240.3 KB 
ID:	403427

Can this crap crash already? Sheesh! This car would've been a hundred bucks like 20 years ago.
    Wow !!!! I think there's a newer one parked across the street that's been abandoned. I'll give you $300 to come get it.

Hypermilers also have a thing for Metros. Example:

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...0-a-39701.html
    Oh, I totally get that. I do. And they were actually really good little cars. Reliable and crazy good mpg so I see the appeal for hypermilers or urban dwellers for sure. But like in the link, $750 for one that's way newer than the one I posted AND in great shape. Not $1800 for a complete pile of crap. It's downright depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Wow !!!! I think there's a newer one parked across the street that's been abandoned. I'll give you $300 to come get it.
    Now THAT'S more what we should expect. Haha.

So I think this guy should be happy with about (less than?) $2k so I think I'm gonna be that FB lowball asshole and toss an offer https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ok_story_share I mean, c'mon RWD, manual Volvo wagon that needs a seat. How wrong a decision could it be?

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    So I think this guy should be happy with about (less than?) $2k so I think I'm gonna be that FB lowball asshole and toss an offer https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ok_story_share I mean, c'mon RWD, manual Volvo wagon that needs a seat. How wrong a decision could it be?
    For me, it would boil down to rust. If rust free, I'd be down for that wagon for about the price you're thinking. You're right on the money with price considering that car's condition. Actually maybe only a grand even since it needs new paint, tons of trim work, etc., but that car was such a sturdy beast. Just be aware that while the diesel variant of that WILL run foreverrrrr, it's also by far the slowest Volvo I've ever driven. Even with the manual (a requirement for that one, trust me), but goddam. I just remember being just shocked at how slow it was. Think 0-60 was something like 15 seconds+. Not exaggerating. Scary to get on the onramp sometimes. Toss a turbo in it.

A bit of rust is expected and acceptable but for the most part, I'm over buying rusty cars. In the past yeah, $1k but now... Slow? Yup. I don't really care about the body on a $1k car as long as it doesn't rain inside, some missing trim pieces, dents and dings are part of the charm I don't think he'll go for a grand but I'll tell him this guy Montucky said I should and see where it gets me

Well that lowball offer went pretty poorly I wonder if the used car market will ever go back to what it used to be.

LMAO!

LMAO!

FAKE! LMAO!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    FAKE! LMAO!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Hahaha. Totally. Just thought it perfectly represented the used car market these days. It's a dark wasteland of crap for top $$$ out there, my friend. See the Geo Metro I posted about above.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Like somebody else posted earlier, you're really restricting yourself in the world of cheap cars by requiring a manual transmission. If all you need is a beater car that hopefully doesn't cost a lot in repairs, you can easily find a high mileage Corolla, Scion, or Yaris, cheap. But it'll be automatic.

The quest for a cheap "fun to drive" manual transmission Euro car seems guaranteed to generate $ thousands in repairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Well that lowball offer went pretty poorly I wonder if the used car market will ever go back to what it used to be.
    Holy shit, $3,300 for a 1989 beat to shit (albeit charming) Volvo 240 with 282,000 fucking miles?!?

What kind of fresh hell are we living in?