Page 86 of 107 FirstFirst ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 2651
    I'm holding out hope the V8 in the current M5 gets any bugs worked out by the last model year because I kind of want one.

Signed,

JDM Fanboi

Oil leaks through ALTERNATOR BRACKETS?!?

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    I drove an e350 with sport package 4matic the other day, and it was... Nice. But boring. So boring. Still need to drive a e550 which will have much more power, but i expect to also be boring.
    So maybe Audi s6 is the way? V8tt, and supposedly much sportier than the benz. The BMWs are out of the running based on research and past experience with later model BMWs revealing that they are giant piles of crap.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    V8 with airmatic adjustable suspension is a good handling car but otoh I like the serenity (boring) of a Benz ride anyway. Never did like Audi. My vote would still be 07-09 e550.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    So it looks like my wife is honing in on a few things after looking for a week or so. The awd CTS wagons are still on the list and the other top choice is a 2010-13 XC90 3.2. Which one am I likely to spend less time wrenchin' on?
    Both

^ Thanx

Pillow fight between 2 choices that
    IMHO aren’t great cars to own after 100k

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Fair. Lets try a different approach then. What cars do you like after 100k?

Toyotas and work trucks/vans

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Toyotas and work trucks/vans
    Where there any years where the Matrix was available in AWD and manual? My efforts to get the 2012 Forester with 170K that's doing that David Blaine think with the oil out of the driveway currently has has said shit box plus a 2006 F150 outside.

Assuming why wife likes the truck, on only has 100K on it and its a fucking Lariat, we'll need a commuter. What are the options for cheap, dependable, good on gas AWD? I've always been a Honda guy but I'm open to options.

Just checked and even the Pontiac Vibe was auto only for AWD

Good little cars.

@wrecked, that's fair but we don't do German cars in our house. Plastics get old and creaky, suspensions get soft but as long as services have been done I don't worry too much about modern drivetrains. The tow truck analogy is valid and important though.
    No German cars?!?!?! WITAF?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Just checked and even the Pontiac Vibe was auto only for AWD

Good little cars.
    That's what I was seeing. Just gotta let my wife get a little more confident with the new truck before the Forester gets to Carvana or Autonation treatment. I really wanted a Sienna AWD for our 3rd vehicle but there are a lot of things I want that I don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Where there any years where the Matrix was available in AWD and manual? My efforts to get the 2012 Forester with 170K that's doing that David Blaine think with the oil out of the driveway currently has has said shit box plus a 2006 F150 outside.

Assuming why wife likes the truck, on only has 100K on it and its a fucking Lariat, we'll need a commuter. What are the options for cheap, dependable, good on gas AWD? I've always been a Honda guy but I'm open to options.
    The suzuki sx4 is a great car, comes in awd+manual. Low miles are harder to find, but they are out there. Engines known to last to 200k+.
    https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

An older Toy corolla circa 1992? Put in a new or rebuilt engine?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Yeah, I'll have to keep my eye on those. I have a suzuki snowmobile and motorcycle. The issue at hand it that my wife commutes 50 miles daily. Most of the year the roads are fine, sometimes they are heinous. Honestly, an EV is the right answer for that but it would be limiting in other applications as we live in the sticks.

Re: Toyota - She/we like the 4R, LC, Sequoia and Lexus GX's but covid pricing on the good ones is stupid. You have to go over 200k and ~15 years to get one that's not a rustbucket for under $20k. Fk that. They haven't really had a compelling awd car to choose from in a while so the brand is pretty much out. I dunno, how's the Venza? It looks boring.

@riser if your FIL was a concentration camp survivor that was on a teenage work detail that moved shit around on carts with the Benz star on the handle and then your son died when the BMW he was riding in got rear ended and blew up, you'd probably not want to see those logos on your property.
    Last edited by gravitylover; 12-25-2021 at 06:34 PM.

Buying a 10+ year old car what could go wrong?

Toyota for sure - I like the venza- space wise - it’s a blind spot mobile if you care though - hard to see out of the back windows - for anybody who still turns their head backing up anymore. But it’s a yota and that means it’ll run til it rots. Which in the northeast is a factor, It’s sort of a larger matrix. Seems like a decent cargo space for you guys hauling shit around, room for plenty of cases of beer coming back from upstate.
    Last edited by Aldo; 12-25-2021 at 06:05 PM.

Well, she's difficult, big surprise. She's pretty well set on the XC90 and she saw a couple of Cayennes she likes which made her remember that she has liked them for a long time. Great. Am I wrong or would an inexpensive Cayenne be a really bad idea? I mean, they seem like a fairly robust vehicle and the lower end ones don't seem any more complicated than other premium rigs but I don't think it's a good move. That's coming from the guy that bought a cheap Range Rover and is diggin' it but I can't have two wrenchin' thread specials. The Volvo has got to be less finicky, right?
    Last edited by gravitylover; 12-26-2021 at 05:09 PM.

Well, she's difficult, big surprise. She's pretty well set on the XC90 and she saw a couple of Cayennes she likes which made her remember that she has liked them for a long time. Great. Am I wrong or would an inexpensive Cayenne be a really bad idea? I mean, they seem like a fairly robust vehicle and the lower end ones don't seem any more complicated than other premium rigs but I don't think it's a good move. That's coming from the guy that bought a cheap Range Rover and is diggin' it but I can't have two wrenchin' thread specials. The Volvo has got to be less finicky, right?
    GL I mean this in the nicest possible way but for a guy with no garage and not much ability for downtime on a vehicle repair, you seem determined to pick some of the exact type/brands of vehicles that are going to fuck you over. I'm rooting for ya man but I feel like you need to find an older Corolla with an extra set of snows.

*coming from a dude in MT with no garage and technically 5 vehicles in various states of disrepair.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Heh I hear ya. This one is for her though and she won't hear from it if it isn't awd and she likes suv's over wagons. Right now is a hard time to be looking, the Toyota tax is the worst it's ever been (if you can even find one worth buying) and the selection of decent quality used is thin so you have to look for things that sort of fly under the radar for most people. The XC90 with the 3.2 rather than fancier motors is one of these and is just a bit more reliable (in relative terms) than some others.

The 4 liter Pathfinder/X Terra have now entered the picture too.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Oil leaks through ALTERNATOR BRACKETS?!?
    Sadly, I'm not kidding. WTF, BMW?!!!

Am I wrong or would an inexpensive Cayenne be a really bad idea? I mean, they seem like a fairly robust vehicle and the lower end ones don't seem any more complicated than other premium rigs but I don't think it's a good move.
    They can actually be pretty good! Just make sure to stick with the base model V6, which is good because it's way cheaper to buy AND way more reliable than the turbo 8s. Be prepared for typical VAG parts bin quirks. Good thing is since it's basically a VW (the older ones at least), parts are plentiful and cheap. That said, be prepared to work on it yourself to keep it affordable. I'd buy one, but only if it was a low mile, babied garage queen example. They're out there. I've seen crazy good deals on them in the past, but don't know about these days.

Heh I hear ya. This one is for her though and she won't hear from it if it isn't awd and she likes suv's over wagons. Right now is a hard time to be looking, the Toyota tax is the worst it's ever been (if you can even find one worth buying) and the selection of decent quality used is thin so you have to look for things that sort of fly under the radar for most people. The XC90 with the 3.2 rather than fancier motors is one of these and is just a bit more reliable (in relative terms) than some others.
    Yeah. The Toyota tax is real. One of the reasons I've been on the lookout for another Volvo. With the tens of thousands of dollars you'll save on the car, you can afford some repairs. Haha. Plus Toyota interiors are complete shit compared to Volvo's. Hard plastics abound. Great brands, both of them, but you can tell where each prioritized their budgets. Know what you're getting yourself into with each brand, be realistic, and you could end up happy.

Picking up a 1994 land cruiser was the gamble of 2021. So far I'm liking it a lot. A few electrical gremlins (no horn or reverse lights) but jeez the mechanical quality on this truck is insane. Everything works great, suspension and brakes are perfect. Slow AF but IDGAF when I drive it

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Yeah. The Toyota tax is real.
    Bmills' friend is flippin' em. I wouldn't be surprised to see a reality show around flipping Toyotas soon.

J/c, what's the used Sonata/E55 AMG market like?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Tough to find a decent e55 that hasn't been modded out. Expect to pay low 20s for a nice reasonable mileage example with maintenance history.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    sigless.

I agree with your girl. IMO the XC90 & Cayenne are the two best looking SUV's out there. I bought the Cayenne as I wanted 420 hp and the Volvo with 4 banger scared me. That said I read the Rennlist forums extensively before buying and have read the Cayenne is reliable if maintain. My wife's Porsche/BMW Indie agreed, so I said fuck it and bought one. Nice car, but a fucking tank, so she should drive one before buying for sure to be sure she is ok with the size. I really wanted another wagon but the RS6 was to far away from being affordable.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.