Page 95 of 107 FirstFirst ... 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 2651
    Thanks for the comments.
    Nice to hear the xc60 is dependable. We've had Volvos before and she's liked them

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    Lexus gx470
    Would love an 80 series Crusher. Sadly, they are way too big for the garage, and even our driveway apron as the driveway backs into an alley

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I'd go Highlander over Rav4. Assuming it fits. The first gen's aren't very long, about the same as a current Rav. I have an '07 with 206k km and the things just keeps on going. Bought it used 3.5 years ago. The 2nd, 3rd Gens are bigger, but should also be more refined.
    Thanks for this - the '07 fits in garage, barely - adding to the list

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    CRV?
    Yup, didn't think of Honda - also added

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    For $15k you can get a really nice XC60 with about 100k or a little less especially if you don't need a T6 (turbo engine) but I'm curious why not a '10 or '15? Is it first model year problems that you want to stay away from? At this age (for either of them) you'd hope those bugs had been worked out by previous owners. I see some great deals on 10's and am seriously thinking I could end up in one soon, compared to so many other things they are sort of reasonably priced and quite a bit nicer. Rav 4s are stupidly priced right now.
    Here's what I read from "doing my own research"
    Most Volvo XC60s are good to go, but you’ll want to avoid the 2010, 2015, and 2019 year models. The 2010 has an unreliable engine with fuel pump failure being its most notorious issue. 2015 XC60s have reportedly had engine issues like coolant leaking into the transmission, as well as interior accessory defects. The most prominent problem with the 2019 year model is its wheels, which have fallen off or produced strange noises.
    https://www.copilotsearch.com/posts/...xc60-to-avoid/

And agreed that anything Toyota is stupidly priced - as are most japanese vehilcles nowdays - A 2017 Impreza in the Portland and Central OR market seems to be going for more than I paid for my 2017 outback new...

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post

And agreed that anything Toyota is stupidly priced - as are most japanese vehilcles nowdays - A 2017 Impreza in the Portland and Central OR market seems to be going for more than I paid for my 2017 outback new...
    In Dec of 2020 we found a low-mileage Mazda CX-5 for $16K. Maybe look for a high-mileage one? Perhaps better pricing than the Toyota equivalent? Not sure if Mazda service is do-able in your small town, though.

Edit: just checked and the CX-5 is worth about two grand more than we paid for it in 2020.
    Last edited by skaredshtles; 01-17-2022 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post

Which engine isn't specified, both the 3.2 and T6 had a decently long history already by 2010 but it wouldn't surprise me if the brand new platform had some growing pains. I looked back through the xc60 forum on Swedespeed and it seems like that problem was solved in the first few months of production so after about 4/10 it shouldn't be a problem.

I have a 2016 Highlander and as much as I want to like it, I really don't. The only thing it does well is charge up our straight shot hill in the city when it's icy like it's glued to it. Going down isn't much fun. It really doesn't like to drive in a straight line. It freaking floats and wanders like a barge. Therefore snowy roads suck. Dry highway sucks. It doesn't appear to be alignment or steering assembly issues. I think it's just poorly designed power steering. It requires weird inputs that I have never encountered before.

Talking about Volvo's you always want to buy the last year of a particular model/body style. Never year one. My 2006 V70R has been a really good car and it was year 3 of the 2004 thru 2007 model run.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I’m in the fence between another XC60 and an RDX with 50-75k miles. Not sure how much performance I’ll lose with the RDX, but there are like 50x more of them for sale. And the hope is for cheaper and more reliable pushing into the 200s.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I have a 2016 Highlander and as much as I want to like it, I really don't. The only thing it does well is charge up our straight shot hill in the city when it's icy like it's glued to it. Going down isn't much fun. It really doesn't like to drive in a straight line. It freaking floats and wanders like a barge. Therefore snowy roads suck. Dry highway sucks. It doesn't appear to be alignment or steering assembly issues. I think it's just poorly designed power steering. It requires weird inputs that I have never encountered before.
    Your running the wrong tire pressure. Just saying. You are using HP instead of grip.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Your running the wrong tire pressure. Just saying. You are using HP instead of grip.
    ??? If there's a joke here, I don't get it Seriously. Enlighten me. I'm going based on the door pillar plaque and what keeps the stupid TPM happy. What's the correct pressure?

There are a few things that go into what pressure to run, the door tag is a good guide but not the final answer. The lack of traction is an indicator it's too high, you may only be getting part of the tread actually on the ground. The other thing it could be is the tires can't handle the load. There are a few numbers on the tires, one is the load rating and my guess is your sidewalls are too soft to support the weight and you're getting that wandering sensation. You probably need an XL rating, that Highlander is well over 4k pounds I think. The door tag # is max cold pressure, go out in the morning and check it. At these temps I'd set the pressure at least 3 or 4psi below that max. Either that or your tie rods and ball joints up front are wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    There are a few things that go into what pressure to run, the door tag is a good guide but not the final answer. The lack of traction is an indicator it's too high, you may only be getting part of the tread actually on the ground. The other thing it could be is the tires can't handle the load. There are a few numbers on the tires, one is the load rating and my guess is your sidewalls are too soft to support the weight and you're getting that wandering sensation. You probably need an XL rating, that Highlander is well over 4k pounds I think. The door tag # is max cold pressure, go out in the morning and check it. At these temps I'd set the pressure at least 3 or 4psi below that max. Either that or your tie rods and ball joints up front are wasted.
    So the weird thing about the traction is that it charges up our straight line hill like a champ in all kinds of slippery conditions. Which is the confusing part. It really feels like a poorly designed vehicle. Part of the issue is that the sightlines suck so visual cues are hard, it's difficult to get a feel for where it is on the road. The seats are designed to drive in more of a reclined car position than upright like a truck. I crank the seat as much upright as I can as I really prefer truck style seating. I'll check the tires ratings when it isn't so cold. However, the issue is in warm weather too. It isn't a lot of fun to drive on the highway, especially above 70-75. It just seems like it's designed to be an about town grocery getter for a soccer mom. If you don't go very fast it isn't noticable. I much prefer to drive our 2011 Sienna mini-van. I can see and I know where I am on the road.

Has the car ever had a 4 wheel alignment done?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Has the car ever had a 4 wheel alignment done?
    Also, ball joints, bushings, shocks/struts could all be contributing factors. Are the tires name brand and/or really old?

My wife's RAV4 suspension leaves a bit to be desired, even with new oem struts and shocks. At the end of the day, its not a performance car. What you are describing sounds like faulty components and/or alignment though.

It could just be shitty calibration of the electric power steering coupled with a soft suspension.

My '07 Highlander is boring to drive but it tracks straight and is super easy to live with. But, hydraulic power steering. It's also a mountain goat with the full time (i.e non slip 'n grip) AWD system.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    It could just be shitty calibration of the electric power steering coupled with a soft suspension.

My '07 Highlander is boring to drive but it tracks straight and is super easy to live with. But, hydraulic power steering. It's also a mountain goat with the full time (i.e non slip 'n grip) AWD system.
    Ok, that sounds like what I'm experiencing. Is it possible to recalibrate electronic power steering? Or is it as I feared, a poorly designed and poorly executed design?

It is as you feared.

Fortunately, you have a car that 1,000,001 people want. Just get rid of it and buy something sportier and less popular. Win, win.

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Fortunately, you have a car that 1,000,001 people want. Just get rid of it and buy something sportier and less popular. Win, win.

Ya, that has occurred to me.

The progression from unknown steering/alignment issue to needing a new car is completely reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    The progression from unknown steering/alignment issue to needing a new car is completely reasonable.
    It’s the TGR way.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    It’s the TGR way.
    Sounds like he should check out a Forerunner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Sounds like he should check out a Forerunner.
    So we’re skipping right past the Suby ownership experience?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    So we’re skipping right past the Suby ownership experience?
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...The-Forerunner
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

He could discover a Discovery or explore an Explorer or even take a trip through XC land. Toyota anything, somewhat hidden problems notwithstanding, will generate a fair bit right now.

But did he get the GPS with the rental?