Page 85 of 107 FirstFirst ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 2651
    So I asked in the wrong thread first.. Whatever.
    Thoughts and feedback on the first few years of the Caddy CTS AWD wagon with the 3.6? There seems to be some reasonably priced ones floating around.

I'm gonna get something new to me in the new year to replace the aging 540i. I was infatuated with the w211 AMG e55 for awhile, but have decided that maybe a w212 e550 might be the way to go. All are 4matic, so would be able to take it skiing. 402hp v8tt, supposedly the build quality and reliability are superior to bmw and Audi.
    Seem to be a few for sale Nationwide, and would be a killer car to do a fly and drive.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    So I asked in the wrong thread first.. Whatever.
    Thoughts and feedback on the first few years of the Caddy CTS AWD wagon with the 3.6? There seems to be some reasonably priced ones floating around.
    You won’t enjoy that.

Why not?

A 10-11 year old Cadillac is not going to drive as nice as you want it to. They just don’t hold up like a 10 year old Benz or bmw. There will be a lot of little rattles and shakes and creaks in the interior. Engine and drivetrain just don’t hold up that well.

Recently, whenever I see one of those, they are on a tow truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecked View Post
    A 10-11 year old Cadillac is not going to drive as nice as you want it to. They just don’t hold up like a 10 year old Benz or bmw. There will be a lot of little rattles and shakes and creaks in the interior. Engine and drivetrain just don’t hold up that well.

Recently, whenever I see one of those, they are on a tow truck.
    I'd take a 10-year old GM drivetrain over German any day.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

@wrecked, that's fair but we don't do German cars in our house. Plastics get old and creaky, suspensions get soft but as long as services have been done I don't worry too much about modern drivetrains. The tow truck analogy is valid and important though.

Buying a 10+ year old car what could go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    I'm gonna get something new to me in the new year to replace the aging 540i. I was infatuated with the w211 AMG e55 for awhile, but have decided that maybe a w212 e550 might be the way to go. All are 4matic, so would be able to take it skiing. 402hp v8tt, supposedly the build quality and reliability are superior to bmw and Audi.
    Seem to be a few for sale Nationwide, and would be a killer car to do a fly and drive.

All E550’s are not 4matic. Only the W211 E500 wagon was 4matic standard and that was only through 2006

Make sure it has split folding rear seats as that was an option if you want that for ski. I’d recommend the 2007-09 w211 E550 over the W212 but both are good. That last generation naturally aspirated V8 is high water imo. The 550’s typically come pretty well equipped but little things like distronic, dynamic seats, and heated steering wheel are nice. Also, the xenon lights are a must have and they were an option so look for P2 package. In my experience non-Mercedes dealers won’t know what options a car has. If you see a solid square in the middle of the grill the car has distronic. I prefer the luxury trim over sport trim and the luxury trim is harder to find. Good idea skip the AMG. The E550 is blistering fast and has a much better ride.

Xenon lights were standard on V8 W211 I believe. The AMG models come fully equipped with every option.

https://media.mbusa.com/releases/rel...ty-and-pricing
    Last edited by 4matic; 12-19-2021 at 05:56 PM.

If you want to be baller check out a w221 S550 4matic. Plenty of low mileage examples and they go cheap. Not exactly sporty but very nice to drive

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    All E550’s are not 4matic. Only the W211 E500 wagon was 4matic standard and that was only through 2006

Make sure it has split folding rear seats as that was an option if you want that for ski. I’d recommend the 2007-09 w211 E550 over the W212 but both are good. That last generation naturally aspirated V8 is high water imo. The 550’s typically come pretty well equipped but little things like distronic, dynamic seats, and heated steering wheel are nice. Also, the xenon lights are a must have and they were an option so look for P2 package. In my experience non-Mercedes dealers won’t know what options a car has. If you see a solid square in the middle of the grill the car has distronic. I prefer the luxury trim over sport trim and the luxury trim is harder to find. Good idea skip the AMG. The E550 is blistering fast and has a much better ride.

Xenon lights were standard on V8 W211 I believe. The AMG models come fully equipped with every option.

https://media.mbusa.com/releases/rel...ty-and-pricing
    Name checks out.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Name checks out.
    I started driving a W124 4matic in 1996 and the term was obscure at the time. It’s turned pretentious but I go with it.

My research says all w212 v8tt are 4matic. (Starts arguing with user 4matic). Edit MTM beat me to it. But, i like the facelift, and the e550 only was produced for one year post facelift, so 2014 is the target year. Probably will avoid air suspension, which is just as good since it is rare on v8tt e550.
    I don't have a lot of first hand knowledge of w211 or w212, but the consensus seems to be the w212 is better built. We'll see. Got some test driving to do after the holidays.

sigless.

My research says all w212 v8tt are 4matic. But, i like the facelift, and the e550 only was produced for one year post facelift, so 2014 is the target year. Probably will avoid air suspension, which is just as good since it is rare on v8tt e550.
    I don't have a lot of first hand knowledge of w211 or w212, but the consensus seems to be the w212 is better built. We'll see. Got some test driving to do after the holidays.

Ok, you’re talking facelift w212 with the twin turbo. Got it. I have a 2012 S550 with the twin turbo and I prefer the N/A engine in my W211 and 2008 w221. had a 2009 CLK 550 with the n/a and it was the fastest car I’ve ever owned. Get the air suspension. It’s great and you can swap it out if it breaks.

Ok, i will not disregard a car that is airmatic. I liked the adjustable suspension we had on our old Lexus lx470, and I like the idea of being a le to raise and lower the car. Supposedly they are pretty easy to replace. Are you saying they can be replaced with standard spring and damper as well?

sigless.

Ok, i will not disregard a car that is airmatic. I liked the adjustable suspension we had on our old Lexus lx470, and I like the idea of being a le to raise and lower the car. Supposedly they are pretty easy to replace. Are you saying they can be replaced with standard spring and damper as well?

I’m not sure that model can be swapped to coil overs but repairing a leaky strut or bag will not be difficult for you.

Looks like there are some involved changes, different control arms, programming co cover airmatic errors... More research. Guess I'll do some more now.

sigless.

So it looks like my wife is honing in on a few things after looking for a week or so. The awd CTS wagons are still on the list and the other top choice is a 2010-13 XC90 3.2. Which one am I likely to spend less time wrenchin' on?

So it looks like my wife is honing in on a few things after looking for a week or so. The awd CTS wagons are still on the list and the other top choice is a 2010-13 XC90 3.2. Which one am I likely to spend less time wrenchin' on?
    Less time is relative IMO

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

^^Yup, been reading a bunch there. That place seems to draw more complaints now than it used to about the ~10 year old stuff. Maybe these aren't aging well?

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Less time is relative IMO
    And being premium vehicles there's that much more to go wrong... Yeah I know.

I could be happy with either. Motor wise, the Volvos NA 3.2 inline 6 (which is what's in mine) has proven to be a fantastic, super reliable motor, albeit slow. I'm at about 200K and engine runs good as new. Smooth as silk. While the GM 3.6 isn't a bad engine, I don't believe it's quite on the level of of that Volvo 3.2 (built by Ford in Spain interestingly enough). The Volvo will spank the Caddy in the interior department. Volvo seats have the best reputation in the industry. The CTS seats are firmer and you could say sportier. Since my rides no sports car, I'm ok with pure comfy. Parts wise, GM parts are plentiful and cheaper than my overpriced Volvo parts. My old CTS impressed me with it's lack of issues at 100K, and was solid, but who knows how it'd hold up at double that. Both are decently reliable platforms BUT can both have expensive issues for sure. My car has gotten kind of expensive these last couple years but what wouldn't as you hit all the expected maintanence items and a few stupid quirks along the way. It's great but it's certainly no Toyota in that department. Haha.

As for the AWD performance, I'd be curious how they compare. I have no experience with the CTS4 on snowy roads, but Volvo's AWD is goddam magical (esp with snows).

Personally, I love the looks of the CTS wagons. Shame they discontinued them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

^ That's pretty much my take on it too. Down to looking and test driving a few to see if she actually likes them or just the thought of them.

When no haggle pricing was invented I think it was intended to help consumers. The whole thing has been tossed on its ear.

I drove an e350 with sport package 4matic the other day, and it was... Nice. But boring. So boring. Still need to drive a e550 which will have much more power, but i expect to also be boring.
    So maybe Audi s6 is the way? V8tt, and supposedly much sportier than the benz. The BMWs are out of the running based on research and past experience with later model BMWs revealing that they are giant piles of crap.

sigless.

The BMWs are out of the running based on research and past experience with later model BMWs revealing that they are giant piles of crap.
    What are you talking about? I mean you only have the VANOS system, brittle plastic timing chain pulleys, oil leaks through alternator brackets,.... oh yeah. You're right.

Don't get me wrong, though. I DO totally want one someday, but I'm a glutton for punishment. Not recommended for most people, though. Haha.