Page 3 of 107 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    Engine probably needs to be resealed.

I don't fuck with BMWs, they are money pits 9/10 times.

I personally started looking at F355s lately. Talk about paying to get kicked in the balls. I think they will appreciate quickly though.
    Whoa get one and let me ride!

Have air cooled 911s hit their price ceiling?

Why do people insist on driving bmw?

I bet u don't fuck with Audi huh? They're trash

Find me an 01 w210 please
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

I think air cooled 911s have topped out. I think the super car bubble is starting to slow/stop, if not contract some.

BMW has continued to water down it's brand. Like Audi, they make a ton of cars, and don't really do any of them extremely well IMO. I do like the S8 and RS7. I drove a APR 700hp RS7 and it was a fucking beast.

If I am buying a 10 year old car though, it's Japanese.

As far as BMW goes, that old 540i is one of the best looking sedans ever. BMW needs to come back to that some, maybe they have. The 5 series after that looked awful, but had a V10 in the M series.... That leaked.

My buddy has a CLEAN W210 E55. Fucking old ass NAV. Looks exactly like this. Don't know if he will sell though...

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

^ I hope you're right... have been vaguely considering what car I'm going to buy instead of a 964C4. I just won't spend $50+k for a used car with 100k miles.

I liked the e34 5 series. Especially with the rear end they borrowed for the x5. BMW lost the plot when they started shaving the corners off their cars. The old 6 series were some of the coolest looking cars ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

As far as BMW goes, that old 540i is one of the best looking sedans ever. BMW needs to come back to that some, maybe they have. The 5 series after that looked awful, but had a V10 in the M series.... That leaked.
    For reelz BD? I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder as I love the current 5 series looks. I just wish they would bring it to the US as a wagon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-BMW-5-Series.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	212.5 KB 
ID:	178250
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Yeah, the current 5 series is the tits. Had many as loaners while the dealer was chasing computer gremlins on our X5s, always impressed. Best styling since that e39 in my OP.

x2 on bring the damn wagon to the US. The GT versions that we get are for people who like crossovers and have no soul.
    I still call it The Jake.

I always drive old cars, my personal stable of 3 right now, (wife's car doesn't count...) average age is 20 years old. I have a 27yo Porsche, a 20yo Land cruiser (that just got a new ome lift and new fox shocks today,) and a 13yo bmw that runs like a top and is currently for sale....
    I like bmws, I have had 3, one e30, and 2 e46 models. I suspect I will own more in the future.
    sigless.

There's a nice 924S for sale near me. Driver nice not collector nice so a few dings and the interior could use a refresh but nothing you wouldn't expect for ~30 years old with what looked like 123k on the clock. I think the note in the window was about $6k.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post

Find me an 01 w210 please
    My 99's been supersolid. Don't need the facelift crap. Bought it two years ago w/97k. 40k later only one surprise- crank position sensor which I replaced for $40 and an hour. (Knocking wood)
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Buying a 10+ year old car what could go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    There's a nice 924S for sale near me. Driver nice not collector nice so a few dings and the interior could use a refresh but nothing you wouldn't expect for ~30 years old with what looked like 123k on the clock. I think the note in the window was about $6k.
    Run. I had a 968. Everything costs more on a Porsche.

You could find a Boxster for $6k. They are a joy to drive. Best handling car I've driven.
    Last edited by 4matic; 03-15-2016 at 10:46 PM.

YA I'd do a 99 or 00 as well
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    The old 6 series were some of the coolest looking cars ever made.

agreed

surprised BMW hasn't done a retro version

btw my old neighbor Dr. Hill had one and was all smiles when driving it or talking about it

get it..do it..you'll love it

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    My 99's been supersolid. Don't need the facelift crap. Bought it two years ago w/97k. 40k later only one surprise- crank position sensor which I replaced for $40 and an hour. (Knocking wood)
    what color? post a pic

Had a v12 jag xjs when I was 18. It was almost impossible to drive that car fast.
    Heh. Buddy of mine in High School had a Jag of that era. The front bumper fell off on the highway and he drove over it at 55mph. Pulled over to the shoulder and had me help him cram it into the backseat.

I think 55 is as fast as that thing ever went. For good reason apparently.

baby bear wrote:I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned this here before either but my car was owned previously by an the Olympic Gold medalist.
    10/10
    ever find anything?
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

The E39 M5 is a beauty. 75k ain't nothing to this car. common problems include the cooling system and at that age anything in the suspension with rubber on in (ball joints, CABs, tie rods, etc.) Oil separators (ccv) are also prone to failure and a bitch to replace. The BMW auto trannys of that vintage can be dodgy as well.

BMW repairs are notoriously expensive at the dealer but they are reasonably easy to maintain/repair if you've got the time and inclination .

In general I think it makes a lot of sense to buy used luxury cars and new basic rides. The lux cars price depreciates much more rapidly relative to its utility than more basic rides.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

The old 6 series were some of the coolest looking cars ever made.
    ^ They haven't made a car I've wanted since the 635CSi. Sure some of the models since then have been good cars but they just don't have that something.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Run. I had a 968. Everything costs more on a Porsche.

You could find a Boxster for $6k. They are a joy to drive. Best handling car I've driven.
    Heheh, I'm not actually looking for one but I've always had a soft spot for that shape. I'd much rather have a late model 944, they just drive so nicely. Sure things cost more but ehh, it's about the drive isn't it?

I've got a 04 330ci with 72k miles on it in FL, that needs a 3k AC job done. Car is worth about 6.

Traded for a few M cars over the years. 2 V8 M3s and a Manual V10 M5, that had 97k miles on it. All three, I was happy to get my money back.

I am not a fan of the side vent these days.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Subaru's have head gasket issues. Silver or white 4Runner I hear is the best choice, the red ones have had issues with the differential.... From what I've read.
    What some may not conceptualize here is that Subaru uses a boxer engine with two independent head gaskets. That is why the plural issues is so important. It costs closer to twice as much as most replacements to get it done right and balanced. I have been there.

But, Subaru said they fixed the problem, again.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Heheh, I'm not actually looking for one but I've always had a soft spot for that shape. I'd much rather have a late model 944, they just drive so nicely. Sure things cost more but ehh, it's about the drive isn't it?
    944 Turbo, S, or S2? I am a lover of the '86.5 And newer turbo and S2. My neighbor has one he keeps as street junk and I have offered to help him restore it, but he doesnt have the money. I have thought about asking to take the title and start on it but I really shouldn't. I need to save up for when my Outback head gaskets fail.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

I am not a fan of the side vent these days.
    Me neither. Simplicity, like that 540i is what makes a sedan look so good. To me the only (German) cars doing that these days are the regular 5 series, 3 series, A4 and E class. Volvos too for the most part.

The higher end models of all 3 marques have too much tarted up nonsense. The 7 series has that dumb vent-esque trim, the A8's back end is unnecessarily angular for how round the rest of the body is, and the S class while an impressive car looks like it's marketed strictly towards Persians.

I think that's what drives silly searches like this for me, looking for simpler, better looking cars that have become big bloated xboxes for the most part these days.

Quote Originally Posted by jcolingham View Post

But, Subaru said they fixed the problem, again.
    I hope they do the same for the red ones.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I'd say get the 4Runner
    THIS

Those 5 series are so sweet, but I'd still rather have an RS4 (and pray) if I was spending that kind of dough.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I had one of those for a few years M6 motor and manual trans was just fun. So much fun. bought it for $4k, drove it hard, and sold it for $4k. got very lucky on nothing major going wrong. If the interior were not so cheap and plastic-y it would have been the best car I ever owned. Was definitely the most fun to drive.

Tavarish on Jalopnik has a lot of these "used cars that kick ass" articles. Tempting ideas, but you can get hit with $5-15k of repairs at any time. Something to be said for the older cars with more manual systems - less likely to have a catastrophic computer or engine destruction. Friend has a decent mercedes suv, but out of warranty its a regular $5k every 2 years for shit that should not have failed. His last repair was for a steering rack @ 80,000 miles. wtf? shoudl not fail until 200,000 and certainly should not cost $4k to replace

https://kinja.com/apidaonline

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/here-a...440.1458142309

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/the-60...440.1458142309

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/how-yo...440.1458142309

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/holy-h...440.1458142309

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/the-ma...aff-1743953350
    . . .

^^^^ I have always dreamed of owning that car. Just the most beautiful coupe around that a semi well off person could buy. As in not full on exotic $$$
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Buying a 10+ year old car what could go wrong?

Always have had old cars.

'93 Honda Civic hatchback. New struts so it has a smooth ride

'93 previa, built up the back into a living space with a queen size bed and lockable storage for all the rock, ice, and ski gear.

As far as, what can go wrong? Well, a lot.