Page 87 of 107 FirstFirst ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 2651
    If I was in the market for an xc90 you better be damn sure it’ll be a v8…. There’s really no substitute you know.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Heh I hear ya. This one is for her though and she won't hear from it if it isn't awd and she likes suv's over wagons. Right now is a hard time to be looking, the Toyota tax is the worst it's ever been (if you can even find one worth buying) and the selection of decent quality used is thin so you have to look for things that sort of fly under the radar for most people. The XC90 with the 3.2 rather than fancier motors is one of these and is just a bit more reliable (in relative terms) than some others.

The 4 liter Pathfinder/X Terra have now entered the picture too.
    Find a CrossTrek or Forester from 2013+ with a rebuilt title. The head gasket issue on the 4-cyl was largely solved. Make sure the CVT fluid has been changed depending on mileage.

If she wants more power, move up to the V6, this would also solve the potential CVT issues.

These are still going for relatively reasonable prices especially if you pay cash for private party.

I always read this thread title as "Buying a 10 year old a car, what could go wrong?"
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    If I was in the market for an xc90 you better be damn sure it’ll be a v8…. There’s really no substitute you know.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Truth. We have had a 2006 V8 XC90 for 8 years with great reliability. Only 1 big ticket item- rear seal replaced due to oil leak. I call it our rolling bank vault as it feels like one (solid). It does have its quirks though- radio/cd cannot be upgraded without a major undertaking, odd interior rattle here and there, AWD system eats tires. Wife loves it though as it has European styling without feeling pretentious.
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Re: Toyota - She/we like the 4R, LC, Sequoia and Lexus GX's but covid pricing on the good ones is stupid. You have to go over 200k and ~15 years to get one that's not a rustbucket for under $20k. Fk that. They haven't really had a compelling awd car to choose from in a while so the brand is pretty much out. I dunno, how's the Venza? It looks boring.

@riser if your FIL was a concentration camp survivor that was on a teenage work detail that moved shit around on carts with the Benz star on the handle and then your son died when the BMW he was riding in got rear ended and blew up, you'd probably not want to see those logos on your property.
    Sorry man. You did leave it sorta sitting there.

Yo Also, what's your take on a Grand Cherokee 2013-2019 with the 3.6? I read they got rid of the cam lifter/head issues and been a solid engine from there.
    Slightly concerned about the air lift but would be nice.
    Little gimmicks like tilting side view mirrors in reverse seem prone to failure.
    Overall seems like a good target priced about 5-10k less than 4runner.

Have a 15 Grand Cherokee sitting in front of me right now ticking like the time bomb it is ! Really not very inspiring vehicles from my perspective.

What about putting some 15w-50 in there and calling it a day?

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Sorry man. You did leave it sorta sitting there.
    And the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor.
    Or was it the Germans too?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

ARKK selling holdings across the board. Redemptions?

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    ARKK selling holdings across the board. Redemptions?
    Perhaps Ms. Wood is switching strategies and going into used car flipping?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Perhaps Ms. Wood is switching strategies and going into used car flipping?
    lol.. oops. 2010 Tesla Roadsters are going crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Yo Also, what's your take on a Grand Cherokee 2013-2019 with the 3.6? I read they got rid of the cam lifter/head issues and been a solid engine from there.
    Slightly concerned about the air lift but would be nice.
    Little gimmicks like tilting side view mirrors in reverse seem prone to failure.
    Overall seems like a good target priced about 5-10k less than 4runner.
    16 Grand Cherokee.

Been very happy with it.

Edit: I'd give the air suspension models a miss just cause.

I permanently turn off the tilt mirrors since I find they tilt too much to be useful.

Stop/start stopped. Which is fine with me since otherwise you have to turn it off each time you start car.

It does great in snow & icy conditions on snow rated AT tires. The "terrain select?" Snow function makes it noticeably better with shifts, throttle and some mix of diffs/active braking combination in bad conditions.

Love the remote start.

21/22 on highway 17/18 city.

Comfortable cruising at 80+ plenty of get up and go.

25 gallon gas tank so nice after my Tacoma needing to fill up so often.

A few too many functions are via touch screen that could be simple buttons... a mouse, or rotary screen controller by the shift would be better. Wife's Mazda much gooder in that regard.

I'm thinking about buying another CPO one in a couple of years to replace this one.
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 12-28-2021 at 07:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    "The car has exceeded its 36,000 mile warranty 53,627.4 times while driving around the Sun"

Aldo: bummer to hear but noted
    Brit: good to hear.

Buying a 10+ year old car what could go wrong?

I’ve been driving an 06 Lexus LX470 for the past two years and its reliability is amazing. 203k on the odometer and in many ways drives like a new car. Toyota/Lexus tax is severe right now but a well-maintained 200k+ vehicle can still be had for $12-15k. I would buy another in a second. In fact I almost did a few weeks ago - an 07 Land Cruiser. (Ended up with a 11 Land Rover LR4. Smelled of burning oil and plastic the first night in the garage. Fun!)

Jeeps? Nah. Now, if a Trackhawk was within reach it would be a different story. I'd take another Willys CJ5 or maybe even a mid 90's Cherokee Country 4.0 but nothing from this century interests me much.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Find a CrossTrek or Forester from 2013+ with a rebuilt title. The head gasket issue on the 4-cyl was largely solved. Make sure the CVT fluid has been changed depending on mileage.

If she wants more power, move up to the V6, this would also solve the potential CVT issues.

These are still going for relatively reasonable prices especially if you pay cash for private party.
    I had a Crosstrek, special ordered it and waited 3 months to get it exactly the way I wanted it. I hated it. We have a 2012 Forester. I hate it. You couldn't pay me to buy another car with a CVT, they make me ill and they make baby *religious entity* cry. Sorry. Oh and after Subaru fucked me out of my BRZ by wrecking the engine and then telling me to get lost before they hung up the phone on me they could really go fuck themselves. Then to make it worse one of the piece of shit warranty managers is the one that ended up buying that car but didn't tell me who he was until he had it on the flatbed and I signed over the title. Fucker got that car for less than it was worth and then told me he got the replacement engine stuff lined up when I gave him the VIN to run a report before he drove 3 hours to pick it up. Fuck Subaru and their lying asses.

So the reason I came back to the thread again tonight was to say that the used car market is completely blown out and fucked up. For the most part, the cars left for sale are the dregs. I'm actually amazed at the shit condition of pretty much everything we've seen. Over the last few days we've been to a couple of dozen dealers and looked at 3 private sales. The privates are actually the worst. You get there and there's s disaster sitting in the driveway that costs double what it would have 2 years ago when it ran right. Well, sort of the worst. I've actually pulled out of at least half the dealers I pulled into without even getting out of the car. Surprisingly the biggest dealers have had the worst cars, the Mercedes dealer in Greenwich CT pulled out a Volvo XC60 T6 with less than 60k with rust through holes on the front fender, stained and stretched carpet and blown out seat on the drivers side and 3 different tires on it with one being 8 years old. WTF.

It's acting just as supply demand curves say it should.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	398645

And add to the existing shortage that this is the worst time of year to go used car shopping, esp in the Northeast. People tend to buy/lease new cars in spring (i.e, March when they get tax refunds) and trade/sell the old ones then.

Whenever you get these 2-3x standard deviation situations they eventually correct. You may not have the patience, but they correct.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Wife's Mazda much gooder in that regard.
    Just going to quote this little gem. Mazda is one of the most underrated brands. Completely off most people's radar. And yet Subarus are ubiquitous. smh

This thing with the car market atm, is that having something to trade outsizes your leverage. The local Toyota dealer keeps pestering me to buy my truck back for cash.

My wife's 3 year old 2016 428 is selling for what she paid for it. My 2016 Cayenne is selling for about $5k more. Really a crazy ass market for used cars. I wonder if Volvo is still doing their overseas deliver program. That may be a good way to go if the new price is in the wheelhouse for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    I’ve been driving an 06 Lexus LX470 for the past two years and its reliability is amazing. 203k on the odometer and in many ways drives like a new car. Toyota/Lexus tax is severe right now but a well-maintained 200k+ vehicle can still be had for $12-15k. I would buy another in a second. In fact I almost did a few weeks ago - an 07 Land Cruiser. (Ended up with a 11 Land Rover LR4. Smelled of burning oil and plastic the first night in the garage. Fun!)
    What made you spring for the LR coming from a LC background?

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    What made you spring for the LR coming from a LC background?
    He wanted a tougher challenge.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague