Page 82 of 107 FirstFirst ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 2651
    I'm not sure that the 4.0 is considered unreliable, but the 4.7 is know for being as reliable as a hammer. I don't think mpg is very different either.

A well maintained and for sale V8 4Runner is a mystical creature.

I have the 4.0 with 97k on and zero problems so far. I’m not winning any street races but perfect vehicle for my needs.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Well that’s part of the problem. He doesn’t know when the brakes were done last, didn’t know where to find the timing belt let alone if it had been done, and didn’t know what I meant or seemed concerned when I showed him it reading three quarts high in oil. Super tired of looking for something though. Driver seat leather is ripped too. Other than that it looks nice so to speak.

Buy it.

What’s the worse that could happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Well that’s part of the problem. He doesn’t know when the brakes were done last, didn’t know where to find the timing belt let alone if it had been done, and didn’t know what I meant or seemed concerned when I showed him it reading three quarts high in oil. Super tired of looking for something though. Driver seat leather is ripped too. Other than that it looks nice so to speak.
    Yeah, I'd keep looking. They certainly DO fetch a premium these days, but for top dollar, you can/should expect better.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

So sick of looking. A friend pointed out a sr5 or trd would be preferable to limited.

I mean the owner that doesn’t know where the timing belt is or remember last time brakes were changed should be a non issue.

Run a carfax, test drive it hard, offer $9800

So the above doesn’t mean no 4.0’s had tear
    Lockers does it?

He doesn’t know. Obtaining VIn now maybe I can see.
    The 2009 (last year of the 4th gen 4R) had an e-locker available for the rear in the "trail" package only. All other years used a capable computer-controlled traction aid on both axles.

Quote Originally Posted by stradissimo View Post
    I own a ‘96 4runner.
    The ‘05-‘07 v6 4runners are great. They have a 5-speed transmission, and the best center differential of any of them. You get RWD, AWD, and 4WD. The AWD mode uses a Torsen limited slip. Super nice.
    The anti-lock brakes got a lot better going from the 3rg gen to the 4th gen, but I don’t think they’ve improved much since.
    I’ll be looking for a good ‘05-‘07 after I pay off my house.
    The 2005-2009 had a 5-speed automatic. All had the same transfer case (2HI/4 fulltime/ 4HI/ 4LO). 2008-09 offered side curtain airbags standard, with an off switch for offroad use.

The base model SR5 (which I had) had a tilt steering wheel, but not telescoping. Mine had a moonroof too. That combination made for an uncomfortable driving position for me, so I sold it to a friend awhile back -- he's 3 or 4" shorter (I'm 6'0") and fit better. Too bad; it was a very well built vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

The 4.0L V6 used a timing chain, which are life of the vehicle, unless there's some problem to address.

The 4.7L V8 used a timing belt, which are required to be changed at certain intervals (90K miles? something like that). IIRC that engine is an interference design, so do not ignore the timing belt maintenance.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

On the 4.0 is there a timing chain and also a fan belt? Because this one clearly had a fan belt. Didn’t look further than that. Most of the engine is covered by the shroud.

You guys seem to know your 4runners. What would a fair asking price for an ‘07 sport edition 4.0 with 75k miles? We’re the original owners. Seems like Blue book, Edmunds etc don’t really represent the market.

On the 4.0 is there a timing chain and also a fan belt? Because this one clearly had a fan belt. Didn’t look further than that. Most of the engine is covered by the shroud.
    4.0L has a timing chain - internal to the engine, you can't see it looking under the hood. It is there to time crank revolution (piston movement) with valve opening.

The 4.0L and 4.7L both have fan belts (serpentine belts, to be precise) -- these are visible looking under the hood. The serpentine belt drives all the engine accessories, like the alternator, A/C compressor, and water pump. These are easy to replace with basic hand tools.

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    You guys seem to know your 4runners. What would a fair asking price for an ‘07 sport edition 4.0 with 75k miles? We’re the original owners. Seems like Blue book, Edmunds etc don’t really represent the market.

Probably some ludicrous amount, these days, esp in the western US. Or sell it to Rideski!

Buying a 10+ year old car what could go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Probably some ludicrous amount, these days, esp in the western US. Or sell it to Rideski!
    Does $15k sound ludicrous? More? Less?

Did you ever change the fan belt, plugs, or brakes?
    Pm your contact info and I’ll look at the specs and tell you what looks fair.
    This one we’ve been talking about is a could grand north of blue book, but dubious history.

I’ve got an 08 4.0 4Runner and I’ve been inside and out of it extensively doing all my own maintenance.

Pre-07 V6 had head gasket issues on passenger side rear cylinder, the gasket was redesigned for the 2007 model year and has much better results.

The Trac Control system isn’t a locker, nor is the Transfer Case lock a true lock. The traction control uses the brakes to limit whatever wheel is slipping and the nature inclination of the diff is to send power to the other wheel.

The trac control saved me from multiple bad accidents over the years. Going 80 on I-76 in eastern CO hauling a trailer comes to mind. Hit a patch of black ice and it started heading toward the ditch, the trailer was coming around to jackknife. The trac control hit the right brakes to level us out and saved likely a rollover.

Brake calipers on the V6 and V8 models will seize all the time. Be ready to do a brake job as any rig from 50k miles up could have a caliper seize.

The Sport model had a ridiculously awesome/awful linked suspension. The when the vehicle sensed itself leaning over in a turn, it would stiffen the shock on the low side, helping keep the rig level. This was great for on-road handling but not great for off-road. The system can’t be recharged so if a shock is going out on these models, plan on replacing all 4. Bilstein 5100 is a good choice.

If you are doing maintenance, spend the money to get Denso parts, not cheap aftermarket crap. It’s worth it for the reliability.

Other than brake calipers and regular maintenance, my 08 has been entirely trouble free for 225k miles and I’m sure I could get another 225 out of the engine and body. With very basic or even an unknown maintenance history I’d not hesitate to recommend it.

Does a compression test effectively check for a head gasket leak? I know I had paid for one to be done on my old 4.0 Cherokee but didn’t really know much about it.

Pm your contact info and I’ll look at the specs and tell you what looks fair.
    This one we’ve been talking about is a could grand north of blue book, but dubious history.
    New brakes and rotors about two years ago which is probably about 6000 miles. My wife hardly drives, especially this past year. Never any fan belt issues. I think the spark sparks are still original. Probably due for a change.

The actuator that engages the 4wd was sticking and was replaced a year or so ago.

Full disclosure: it’s been flashing a check engine code p0016 intermittently for a long time. We’ve had a few mechanics look at it and they haven’t figured it out. It’s a cam shaft sensor alert. We had the sensor replaced, but it still happens. The car drives perfectly so we haven’t been worried about it. There’s a chance the timing chain could be stretched. If it were, I’d expect the car to have symptoms. Regardless, we’re going to get it fixed before we sell it. Just hoping we don’t have to replace the timing chain.

I just had to replace a steering column, battery and shocks on my son's 2006 BMW. OUCH!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

These are all easy and inexpensive maintenance.

I just bought my 16 yo daughter a 2010 Subaru Forester with 75k miles. Price was 9k, traded in her 2008 Ford Fusion SEL for 3k, so 6k out of pocket. Car is in great shape inside and out. Funny thing is I took it to the Subaru dealer to have it inspected before purchase. They came up with a list of about 4k worth of repairs. Most of it was a crock. MAYBE it will need head gaskets in 50k miles. Thing runs like a top.

Yeah there’s horror stories on trg about Subaru’s so I haven’t really looked at them much. But noticed last night on par an outback is about 4K less than a 4Runner

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    These are all easy and inexpensive maintenance.
    Being facetious about this 2006 I’m looking at where guy wants over bluebook with zero data.
    Thanks for your earlier info on the 4Runner varieties though.

I just listed Mrs C's Xterra for sale, in case anyone's interested. Much less for maggots.

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/re...265229373.html

Yeah there’s horror stories on trg about Subaru’s so I haven’t really looked at them much. But noticed last night on par an outback is about 4K less than a 4Runner
    Have you looked at Chevy Tahoe? Problem I have with older 4Runners is they don't have an AWD setting. My 2004 Tahoe has AWD, 2WD, or 4WD. I bought it with 110k and it's about to pass 300k. Super solid vehicle. MPG has gotta be as good as a 4Runner, as I'm sure you know those things are hogs (I had a '95). Tahoe gives you more towing capacity and a third row option. Just a suggestion.

In my experience, KBB and NADA is never correct for Toyotas. My family has bought and sold 4 in different parts of the country and always paid/sold for well over “blue book”. Don’t pay attention to it.

Is the car you’re looking at worth that much money to YOU based on what else you could get for the money (same model other rigs or different models)?