Page 90 of 107 FirstFirst ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 2651
    Lol

So I found a decent target for a vehicle. Passenger seat belt is broken, and they say they can't sell it till fixed. Part is on national backorder, no idea when it will be available. Can't find an aftermarket part reportedly. Weird shit.

Youre saying you want to purchase a vehicle with a silent recall on seatbelts?

My auto transmission ‘06 Toyota matrix no longer “stays” in first gear when I manually put it there unless I’m giving it gas. I downshift it into “1” to control speed/creep on steep, windy. and icy roads. About a month ago it’ll go into neutral when I do this unless the accelerator is engaged.

If I give it gas, it’ll be in first gear, but will go back into neutral when I take my foot off the gas. It was functioning fine prior to mid-November. My wife and I don’t recall doing something odd (e.g., forgetting to take out of “1” when driving at higher speeds) or any odd behavior by the car. Everything else with the transmission appears to be operating normally.

Thoughts?

Is there a way to reset the transmission ECU?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    My auto transmission ‘06 Toyota matrix no longer “stays” in first gear when I manually put it there unless I’m giving it gas. I downshift it into “1” to control speed/creep on steep, windy. and icy roads. About a month ago it’ll go into neutral when I do this unless the accelerator is engaged.

If I give it gas, it’ll be in first gear, but will go back into neutral when I take my foot off the gas. It was functioning fine prior to mid-November. My wife and I don’t recall doing something odd (e.g., forgetting to take out of “1” when driving at higher speeds) or any odd behavior by the car. Everything else with the transmission appears to be operating normally.

Thoughts?

Is there a way to reset the transmission ECU?
    Does it drive normally when you leave it in "D" and just drive around?

Do some googling on "neutral safety switch" and see what you find -- hopefully cheap and easy to replace on that vehicle, if it turns out to be that.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Could also be that the shifter linkage needs adjustment. Is it ever difficult to get out of P on flat ground or does the shifter need to be jiggled, even a little bit, to get it to know it's in P?

Yeah check the linkage also. Could be off. Could be the whole transmission moves due to a bad mount which could throw of the linkage. Happens in old Toyota 4*4 trucks

Thanks all. It works fine in “d” and “2.” It’s never difficult to shift at the shifter between the other modes, p, r, n, d, and 2, and it functions as expected in those modes.

I’ll do some more googling. I tried googling before and was getting nowhere. The mechanic that I use had been swamped and they were closed for several weeks in early December (I’m guessing due to covid).

Buying a 10+ year old car what could go wrong?

To be clear, when I shift into “1” and do not have the accelerator depressed, if feels as if I’m driving in neutral (like I have the clutch is depressed on a manual), when I give it gas, it feels like it’s engaged into first gear, like I’ve let the clutch off and am applying gas. I can alternate back and forth and it feels like I’m goofing off with the clutch and gas of a manual transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    To be clear, when I shift into “1” and do not have the accelerator depressed, if feels as if I’m driving in neutral (like I have the clutch depressed on a manual), when I give it gas, it feels like it’s engaged into first gear, like I let the clutch off and am applying gas. I can alternate back and forth and it feels like I’m goofing off with the clutch and gas of a manual transmission.
    Check your transmission fluid level. When was the last time you had fluid replaced ? Does the car start in 1st gear when you use "D" ? It sounds like you don't have enough line pressure. That can be ANYTHING from just way too low on fluid to full blowing doom for AT. Any chance you have traction mode ? Some cars start in second gear IF traction is selected.

Like we didn't already know the used car market is a mess https://www.usnews.com/news/business...ers-are-aghast

Fluid levels are fine per the dipstick (checked on flat ground getting gas). Idk when last flush occurred. When I start from a stop in “d,” it seems to start in first gear, but I will confirm.

It’s awd. My understanding is that it’s a viscous coupler system. There’s no traction control that I can control, to my awareness.

Have you been driving in the snow/dirt roads/a deep water crossing at some point? Got a warm place you can park the car for a few hours so it really thaws and you can see if it does it when it's warm also rather than the cold start from the house? There's probably a pivot somewhere along the shifter linkage and it may be sticky or have something in the way so it doesn't quite get into 1st gear when you manually shift. A little lube goes a long way. The other thing is doom = torque converter

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Have you been driving in the snow/dirt roads/a deep water crossing at some point? Got a warm place you can park the car for a few hours so it really thaws and you can see if it does it when it's warm also rather than the cold start from the house? There's probably a pivot somewhere along the shifter linkage and it may be sticky or have something in the way so it doesn't quite get into 1st gear when you manually shift. A little lube goes a long way. The other thing is doom = torque converter
    the car lives in dirt. my half mile road is dirt and gravel. i first noticed the problem when it was still dry and temperate (shorts and t-shirt weather). the problem has been constant since i first noticed it. to confirm. when driving in "d," the car will start from a full stop in its lowest (first) gear.

Any chance you can get under it and see if the shift cable/linkage moves smoothly going from park to first ? There is some info in the web about the bushingwherw the shift cable atta he's at the gear selector wearing at the shift box in the car but you're description sounds like the transmission is slipping in first gear. Take a good look at the quality of at fluid and maybe try a drain and fill. If you're super lucky it's the fluid that's burned and dirty not flowing well. Idk what fluid it takes but Walmart has the cheapest price for both dex3 and Valvoline maxlife synthetic.

My whole driveway is a sticky muddy slushy right now. I’m going to check the cable tension. I’ll also confirm the quality/color of the fluid. I have an appt at the shop that I usually use in 3 weeks, which gives me some time to try to figure it out more.

Damn, 3 weeks for an appointment?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

The good shops here are 4-6 weeks out just for an assessment. Then you have to take the car and bring it back when they get the parts.

It's actually easier just to buy a whole new car now than get one fixed.

I have this friend, who I used to think was crazy, who whenever his new car needed new tires would trade it in for new car. It seems he was ahead of his time.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    It's actually easier just to buy a whole new car now than get one fixed.

I have this friend, who I used to think was crazy, who whenever his new car needed new tires would trade it in for new car. It seems he was ahead of his time.
    Wasn't that the American car model from the 70's? Planned obsolescence and disposable cars?
    I still call it The Jake.

It's back.
    They've realized that if they don't stock parts, the customer has only two choices: the bus, or a new vehicle.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

It sure feels that way sometimes. There are also a lot of parts that just aren't available new or reman anymore and some are nearly impossible to find used or from salvage yards. I see all sorts of stuff being sold for parts because widget extraordinaire can't be had. If I keep my Range Rover I would definitely get a parts truck but they're not $1k anymore, they're $3k now so I know I can sell mine for about that much and cut my losses before diving into $3k+ in repairs.

Another thing that's happening is there are a shit ton of cars that either can't be sold or are being sold through states that don't care about the airbag recall not being done. In NY a dealer can't sell a car with an open safety recall but in NJ they can so there are some good cars coming up that may be tough to insure when you get home.
    Last edited by gravitylover; 01-06-2022 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    It sure feels that way sometimes. There are also a lot of parts that just aren't available new or reman anymore and some are nearly impossible to find used or from salvage yards.
    So the moral of your conundrum is to buy cars that have parts always available. I have not seen any shortages on my 06 Volvo other than the trim piece around the front windshield that is luckily just cosmetic.
    Maybe time to let the RR go?
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    So the moral of your conundrum is to buy cars that have parts always available. I have not seen any shortages on my 06 Volvo other than the trim piece around the front windshield that is luckily just cosmetic.
    Maybe time to let the RR go?
    It that my issue? I import parts from Japan and the UAE for my old Toyotas as they are discontinued in the US.

Well you sir are obviously smarter and a lot more patient than the average bear