Page 74 of 107 FirstFirst ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 2651
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    He claims he sold it for full price. Not sure if real.
    Also, comparable 4Runner or Lexus is about 5 grand more.
    Possibly, but whoever paid full price is a sucker. Just run a nationwide search for Commanders on AutoTrader. Plug in 4wd and 8-cyl and you'll quickly see that there are a gazillion of them out there for like half the price.

I’ve been using cargurus, and there’s 8 of them nationwide, I tried autotrader just for curiousity, and there’s zero if you select limited trim, 4wheel drive, under 125,000 miles. Also, there’s two V8’s, a 4.7, and a 5.7hemi. The Hemi is the one with the good reviews.

I’ve been using cargurus, and there’s 8 of them nationwide, I tried autotrader just for curiousity, and there’s zero if you select limited trim, 4wheel drive, under 125,000 miles. Also, there’s two V8’s, a 4.7, and a 5.7hemi. The Hemi is the one with the good reviews.
    Try a CL search too. Plugged Jeep Commander into mine and the first one that popped up was an '06, Limited, 4x4, Hemi. $5999. 126K on the clock tho so would've been exempt from your search. Maybe expand your search beyond 125K and you could get some more hits.

The one I posted was an 09 with the 5.7. I don’t see that autotrader tells you if you don’t click the actual car. Just filters on v6 vs v8
    But anyway, not that crazy about them just considered for a bit.

Seriously. Toyota suv with 180000 on it will be a better vehicle.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

But anyway, not that crazy about them just considered for a bit.
    Gotcha. What are you looking for? A daily driver, weekend toy, both-in-1?

I was considering this commander. Some horrible reviews but a surprising number of very good reviews. All of the good reviews had the hemi.
    If the mpg was as published not really that bad, some people said it was worse though.
    Attachment 339382
    Had a buddy, a jeep guy, get a screaming deal on one as a grocery getter for the wyf and they hated it and sold it quick when his original plan was to lift and wheel it. Pretty sure it wasnt a hemi and his chief complaints were gutless and bodyroll. She is in a rubicon now and muy happy but they are jeep people with no kids who spend weekends in Moab, or Little Moab down by Utah lake lol.

Sent from a van down by the river
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

bought this ol 2001 mercedes wagon for $1100 in 3 years ago with 169k on the clock. Id hop in it tomorrow and drive to alaska (with a full jug of mobile one euro and a spare belt/ tensioner). If you turn a wrench they are out there and youtube is your friend. High mileage older toyotas, lexus, mercedes, honda are remarkably easy to repair in your driveway with a boss set of tools and membership to the associated owners forum and teh youtubes.

Bunny Don't Surf

pics helpClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20200911_074019.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	339659

Bunny Don't Surf

Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post
    pics helpClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20200911_074019.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	339659

The real beauty of the w210 is they sold millions of them so parts and information is super easy to find. Some of the eastern euro videos are awesome when a guy basically rebuilds the whole car using a pair of vice grips and two screw drivers. They give the chinese a serious run when it comes unofficial repairs.

Pretty late to the discussion, but Odyssey seats are easy to remove in that there aren’t any fasteners, just tilt forward and lift. They’re heavy as fuck though, so the lift part is kind of a pain in the tight confines.

We have a ‘14 and it’s been a solid family truckster. Pretty terrible in the snow with all-seasons though.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Name:  4D47A860-004D-44E5-8300-3D17EDF7AE7B.jpeg
Views: 613
Size:  149.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post
    bought this ol 2001 mercedes wagon for $1100 in 3 years ago with 169k on the clock. Id hop in it tomorrow and drive to alaska (with a full jug of mobile one euro and a spare belt/ tensioner). If you turn a wrench they are out there and youtube is your friend. High mileage older toyotas, lexus, mercedes, honda are remarkably easy to repair in your driveway with a boss set of tools and membership to the associated owners forum and teh youtubes.

Exactly! I've driven my old bmw 540 all over, torrey Ut multiple times (my favorite high speed jaunt one you leave the freeway) and to sun valley multiple times. It has 186k on it. Land cruiser has 248k on it. Porsche 944t has 156k on it. E30 very has 175k on it.
    Nissan leaf has 45k hehe. Guess which car the wife drives.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Name:  4D47A860-004D-44E5-8300-3D17EDF7AE7B.jpeg
Views: 613
Size:  149.6 KB
    That looks like fun.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    First time owner of a Porsche and only just recently. The aim was to get a bad ass street car I can take to local track now and then, have fun, and gain some skills - while not getting hammered by depreciation. Research brought me to 997.2 and DFI. Had to increase my budget but in the end believe I got a car near bottom of curve and will be revered in 10 years (not only by me). Went Targa 4s w/ MT. It’s more of a GT than racer. The glass and larger greenhouse instead of a black headliner makes it feel larger inside.

Edit: Want a 997... I say go for it. Zero regrets!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Is it blue?
    Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Perhaps. You see it? There was only a few on National market a few wks back

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    I just remember googling the VIN and finding the craigslist add. I remember you asking now. My bad.

Dabs.

So I'm going to look at a truck in the morning and not only is it 15 years old but it's a Range Rover Supercharged. It sounds like I'm setting myself up for a perfect storm kinda disaster doesn't it? It's ok though because the shop I'm going to see it at is owned by a fellow padded room denizen so I won't be making this bad decision without proper guidance.

I mean really, how bad could it be? I was under the impression that when Ford owned Land Rover they had chased that Lucas-Prince of Darkness guy out of the picture. The other thing is since it's selling for less than a 15 year old Sonata how badly could it hurt?
    Last edited by gravitylover; 10-09-2020 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    The other thing is since it's selling for less than a 15 year old Sonata how badly could it hurt?

In all seriousness though, go for it. But here's my personal rule for going down this road. Look at it as a disposable vehicle. If you get it dirt cheap, toss a few bucks at it to get it running right, and it blows up on you in a year or two, then what the heck? Why not? No biggie. You had your fun with and hopefully got your money's worth. Just don't go spending a pile of cash on it chasing Range Rover electrical gremlins. Set yourself a small budget of cash you're willing to light on fire. Just like going to Vegas. Maybe a couple grand on the vehicle and another grand on maintenance? Just keep your budget super low and be willing to dispose of the car once you've hit that limit. Then it could actually be worth it just for the fun of it. Current project's a geriatric Audi, but next will likely be an old Mercedes or BMW. For me, the car's gotta be darn near free and NOT a daily driver I have to depend on. For me, it's really just an excuse to turn a wrench and hide out in the garage with a few friends and beers on the weekends. Total investment into my Audi (including the practically donated car itself) has to be maybe around $300 so far. Go the same route with your Range Rover and you'll have fun. Again, so long as you don't depend on it to get to work or anything. Haha.

I was under the impression that when Ford owned Land Rover they had chased that Lucas-Prince of Darkness guy out of the picture. The other thing is since it's selling for less than a 15 year old Sonata how badly could it hurt?
    They're incredibly fun and capable and ahead of their time.....

Right off the bat, they eat brakes and tires. Since it's supercharged you'll have brembo's and the pads, rotors and sensors are $$$$. Low profile sport rubber on a 6000 lb machine with 500 hp causes tires to wear fast and the toe adjustment always seemed out of spec every time i did an alignment on one. Air suspension issues with the compressor being the main culprit should hopefully be fixed by now through multiple warranty trips through the shop. Bluetooth and nav issues galore but, again, hopefully fixed through multiple trips to the shop with software updates.

While Ford did mitigate a lot of the Prince of Darkness issues with more robust electrical systems, it's still a British engineered automobile and those lads do not give a FUCK about serviceability. Also keep in mind that's it's the first year of an entirely new product line for Land Rover (Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and LR3 all brand new that year). Never had issues with the main drivetrain components, but the little things can drive you nuts.

With it being priced less than Sonata.....tread lightly

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post

In all seriousness though, go for it. But here's my personal rule for going down this road. Look at it as a disposable vehicle. If you get it dirt cheap, toss a few bucks at it to get it running right, and it blows up on you in a year or two, then what the heck? Why not? No biggie. You had your fun with and hopefully got your money's worth. Just don't go spending a pile of cash on it chasing Range Rover electrical gremlins. Set yourself a small budget of cash you're willing to light on fire. Just like going to Vegas. Maybe a couple grand on the vehicle and another grand on maintenance? Just keep your budget super low and be willing to dispose of the car once you've hit that limit. Then it could actually be worth it just for the fun of it. Current project's a geriatric Audi, but next will likely be an old Mercedes or BMW. For me, the car's gotta be darn near free and NOT a daily driver I have to depend on. For me, it's really just an excuse to turn a wrench and hide out in the garage with a few friends and beers on the weekends. Total investment into my Audi (including the practically donated car itself) has to be maybe around $300 so far. Go the same route with your Range Rover and you'll have fun. Again, so long as you don't depend on it to get to work or anything. Haha.
    That's the thing, with it being so inexpensive it is in that disposable zone and will be considered as such. Sometimes you get lucky though and get things dialed in sufficiently well that they run for a while, I got 5 years out of a $3k Durango for another 3k in maintenance and parts so I get it. This is a whole lot nicer than a base level 'Murican truck though and if I get a few years out of it hopefully electric will be more reasonable and I can move away from gas at that point since I can't do it now.

@mcphee gets it, thanks for that perspective dude. Yeah some parts will be more and brakes was the first thing I checked, apparently some of those generation performance brake parts have become common sizes now so the price has come down to what it should be for pads and rotors rather than the stratified world they've lived in for a while. After 15 years you'd hope the air susp issues are sorted out but after watching a few videos it seems that those are one of those things that are designed to be maintained so it's not a big job to rebuild a lot of it rather than the stupid expensive replacement that most people probably do because that's what the shop told them to do. The price is more of a wholesale thing

"There is nothing more expensive than a cheap ________________."

Think surprisingly inexpensive, don't think cheap. Perspective...

That's the thing, with it being so inexpensive it is in that disposable zone and will be considered as such. Sometimes you get lucky though and get things dialed in sufficiently well that they run for a while, I got 5 years out of a $3k Durango for another 3k in maintenance and parts so I get it.
    Bingo. You get it. I say do it, then! You're right. Sometimes you can luck out and it's a surprisingly fine vehicle for a while. Even if you end up having to chunk it in the garbage and lose a few grand you have to look at this way. If you got to enjoy it for even a few months, then your total loss is still a hell of a lot less than whatever the first owner (or likely lessee) had to eat on depreciation or lease payments that first year or hell, even weeks of ownership. ESPECIALLY with a Rover. Gotta keep that in mind in case you roll the dice and lose. Can't wait for the TR!

BTW, this should make you feel way better: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...harged,1432803
    Many replacement parts can be had for CHEAAAAAP on your vehicle. Even brake pad/rotor kits, and yes, even the Brembo pads. The aftermarket parts catalog is plentiful at this point. At least for the regular stuff you can expect at this age, ie ignition coils, brakes, etc.

@mcphee gets it, thanks for that perspective dude. Yeah some parts will be more and brakes was the first thing I checked, apparently some of those generation performance brake parts have become common sizes now so the price has come down to what it should be for pads and rotors rather than the stratified world they've lived in for a while. After 15 years you'd hope the air susp issues are sorted out but after watching a few videos it seems that those are one of those things that are designed to be maintained so it's not a big job to rebuild a lot of it rather than the stupid expensive replacement that most people probably do because that's what the shop told them to do. The price is more of a wholesale thing
    Seems like you've researched it and have a trusted mechanic. If it checks out today, then hell yea! (make sure it was never underwater, think Hurricane Sandy).

These things are ridiculously capable off road even with street tires. Runs circles around built out Jeeps. Beats Mustangs and Camaro's off the line. Try a four tire fire! That geared transfer case will handle it.....lol