Page 64 of 107 FirstFirst ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 2651
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post

This is how you rule Vegas. Not in a Jaaaag.

Na^16
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Turbo S is too rich for my blood but low mileage 997 911s can be had for a little over $30k. Could be a good car to hold onto when everything is electric and automated in 10-15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Assuming you're buying high 20s to mid 30s, it should hold value really well. The 997.1s (05-08) are no longer depreciating quickly, and desirable cars are likely to start going back up in the next 5 or so years. The thing with 997.1 / 987.1 / 996 / 986 cars is to avoid the m96 lottery. The engines are good for 150-250k before a rebuild, but with neglect or dopey ownership, you can easily walk into a car that will need a full rebuild at $10-20k. Lots of sob stories on Rennlist of people buying Porsches and not quite understanding the imperative to buy a car for its healthy engine. A DME report (overrevs) is helpful, alongside servicing of the majors (water pump, AOS, RMS seal, IMS, coil packs & plugs, injectors) within the last 4-6 years. A few grand a year in preventative maintenance and they're reliable, fast cars.
    So basically stick to 997s with complete service records? Good info. I know most 911s are bullet proof reliable but poor maintenance seems to cancel that out.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Turbo S is too rich for my blood but low mileage 997 911s can be had for a little over $30k. Could be a good car to hold onto when everything is electric and automated in 10-15 years.
    I hear ya.. But FWIW - if you keep an eye out, there are still a handful cars coming around in the high 40's - low 50's that I expect will be 85k+ cars in 2020 that still have 40k+ miles left on the CCBs... If you have the time, knowledge, skills to determine the car's condition (this is what's killed my deals), there are some screamers out there. A buddy picked one up a few months ago in perfect mechanical shape with a beat interior and 51k miles for $47,000. He's been fixing up the interior from salvage, and is already at Stage 2 - it's by far and away the fastest car I've ever driven.
    Hugh Conway sucks
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    So basically stick to 997s with complete service records? Good info. I know most 911s are bullet proof reliable but poor maintenance seems to cancel that out.
    Only 996s that don't have that issue are the Turbo/S.

I'd go 997 every time over 996.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Buying a 10+ year old car what could go wrong?

First time owner of a Porsche and only just recently. The aim was to get a bad ass street car I can take to local track now and then, have fun, and gain some skills - while not getting hammered by depreciation. Research brought me to 997.2 and DFI. Had to increase my budget but in the end believe I got a car near bottom of curve and will be revered in 10 years (not only by me). Went Targa 4s w/ MT. It’s more of a GT than racer. The glass and larger greenhouse instead of a black headliner makes it feel larger inside.

Edit: Want a 997... I say go for it. Zero regrets!!

Is it blue?
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Perhaps. You see it? There was only a few on National market a few wks back

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    First time owner of a Porsche and only just recently. The aim was to get a bad ass street car I can take to local track now and then, have fun, and gain some skills - while not getting hammered by depreciation. Research brought me to 997.2 and DFI. Had to increase my budget but in the end believe I got a car near bottom of curve and will be revered in 10 years (not only by me). Went Targa 4s w/ MT. It’s more of a GT than racer. The glass and larger greenhouse instead of a black headliner makes it feel larger inside.

Edit: Want a 997... I say go for it. Zero regrets!!
    Nice, dood! Can't wait to take her for a rip around Lot 4

Perhaps. You see it? There was only a few on National market a few wks back

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I just remember googling the VIN and finding the craigslist add. I remember you asking now. My bad.

Dabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Nice, dood! Can't wait to take her for a rip around Lot 4
    Anytime! I’d have no prob with you taking it for a spin but you should come out to the house this summer for it and bbq

I just remember googling the VIN and finding the craigslist add. I remember you asking now. My bad.

Dabs.
    Well, you think I’m on target with those manual 997.2s going up over time?

The 997.1 introduced it's own special flavor of the IMS bearing issue that was both less common, but also harder to fix beginning in 2006 when Porsche switched to the 6204 bearing which cannot (really) be replaced. A 2005 997.1, pre-6204 (not sure what engine #) would be a good option. The market is a little hot on those - this info is not a secret... But here's a low mileage car in TX for $40k:

Name:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 235
Size:  58.1 KB

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=192084193
    Hugh Conway sucks

Maybe. That was the odd Targa out of the bunch. I doubt you will lose any money.

Possibly... Hard to know what the market will say about the 997.2 in the long run. It's a great car, but it might spend some time as another "budget beater" 911 as they age, like the 964 did for a long time.. there are a lot of 991s on the road, and since they've finally really worked out the aesthetics on the water cooled cars with that model, I'd think most buyers will jump to the 991 as soon as they can afford to.
    Hugh Conway sucks

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    Possibly... Hard to know what the market will say about the 997.2 in the long run. It's a great car, but it might spend some time as another "budget beater" 911 as they age, like the 964 did for a long time.. there are a lot of 991s on the road, and since they've finally really worked out the aesthetics on the water cooled cars with that model, I'd think most buyers will jump to the 991 as soon as they can afford to.
    Yea like I said haven’t been a total Porsche nut all my life but read about several owners who stepped to 991 and owned several previous 911s - still preferred 997 for spirited driving overall.

Maybe. That was the odd Targa out of the bunch. I doubt you will lose any money.
    Wow a non definitive answer from the master of fancy car sales? Say it ain't so. Is there a kink in Bobby's stainless armour?

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Yea like I said haven’t been a total Porsche nut all my life but read about several owners who stepped to 991 and owned several previous 911s - still preferred 997 for spirited driving overall.
    It's a great car. If I were going to buy an NA, water cooled 911 ( which I wouldn't, but if I were), it would be a 997.2. Just not sure I'd get my money back out of it any time soon.
    Hugh Conway sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Wow a non definitive answer from the master of fancy car sales? Say it ain't so. Is there a kink in Bobby's stainless armour?

The answer is absolutely not. I was just trying to be nice. You bought the worst Targa they made. It doesn't even open.

I don't know what you paid for it... How they fuck am I supposed to know if you will make money?

Chances are. No. Unless you absolutely stole it... Which I doubt.

The answer is absolutely not. I was just trying to be nice. You bought the worst Targa they made. It doesn't even open.

I don't know what you paid for it... How they fuck am I supposed to know if you will make money?

Don't be nice when asked professional advice. You know this bubby.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    It's a great car. If I were going to buy an NA, water cooled 911 ( which I wouldn't, but if I were), it would be a 997.2. Just not sure I'd get my money back out of it any time soon.
    Nice. A few 911 friends did suggest I go turbo as they hold their value most. But just a little too much on price and performance overkill for me. FTR purchase price was 8k below DOL’s book value. Had to do a buyer seller affidavit to pay the correct taxes. Felt good about that! Car needs brakes and struts in the next 5000 miles tho. Good opportunity to freshen suspension.. ordered Bilstein damptronics upgrade and installed the TPC DSC Sport controller (replacing soft stock PASM).
    Rails now

Haha maybe BS doesn’t know all. The roof might not open like a convertible on 991 targa, which I’m fine with. They only imported 600 in 2009 - i’m guessing related to the recession. It was the first year of PDK and 60% opted for that according to something I read. Means about 250 we’re manuals. I think that will play well over time..

I got a used one for sale. Make all those 996 and 997 look positively pedestrian.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180617_125334.jpeg 
Views:	71 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	239571

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    The glass targas are expensive to maintain over the life of the car, but as long as they're in good shape during resale the targas seem to hold up well. They're relatively rare, so keep it in good shape and you'll make out just fine.
    Good to hear your opinion bromo
    The 4s MT part was a must. Targa only a bonus. It will be a long term own.

Bobby thanks for trying to be nice.

Haha maybe BS doesn’t know all. The roof might not open like a convertible on 991 targa, which I’m fine with. They only imported 600 in 2009 - i’m guessing related to the recession. It was the first year of PDK and 60% opted for that according to something I read. Means about 250 we’re manuals. I think that will play well over time..
    Or any other Targa... It was just kind of a strange car. Maybe that will help it. Now that manuals are alive and well in the Porsche GT3 its not as big a deal now.

911 GT3 RS 4S Targa