Page 71 of 107 FirstFirst ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 2651
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post

Eta it looks like the auction price was $5k. Not that I might tossing a grand finders fee but if it’s really that low on miles wouldn’t have needed maintenance. I sent him a text will see what happens.
    Sale price does not include premium. You figure the dealer has $3k in profit. $8k is a fair minimum price for that truck. A ten year old car needs maintenance regardless of miles.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Hooray for V8 BMWs. Old ones, where everything still works because they built them right...
    Both are e34 V8 540i with 6 speed manual transmissions. Amazing all arounder. My buddy who has the grey one on the right is now selling his newer '11 x5d and keeping this, because the newer car is not reliable enough, and too expensive to fix regularly.
    The 34 o the other hand, dead reliable, fast, and fun to drive. Fits the family pretty well to boot.
    If you can find a good one of these, get it. Name:  IMG_20190616_204452_368.jpeg
Views: 745
Size:  76.1 KB

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

The Golden age of the 5-series right there.

Buying a 10+ year old car what could go wrong?

So this is happening. Glad I bought a warranty. Scored cylinders in bank 1. Full engine replacement. This would be tough to choke down.
    PSA: at times a PPI is not enough. #borescope Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5064.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	522.5 KB 
ID:	312134Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5070.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	355.4 KB 
ID:	312137Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5071.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	627.2 KB 
ID:	312138

Holy mackerel.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    So this is happening. Glad I bought a warranty. Scored cylinders in bank 1. Full engine replacement. This would be tough to choke down.

Yikes man.

Damn, vibes CL. Gotta feel a bit like the lotto winner with that warranty purchase tho. Hope it takes the sting out of the PITA that the repair is gonna be

ID:	312137
    OUCH !

I recently had to rework 2 cylinders on my 2008 jeep grand Cherokee for about 5k. Ironically I was looking at buying a newer one when this happened. I did the math and it was around a wash between scrapping it and buying around a 2012 version or sinking the money and driving it 3 more years; so i'm keeping it; but you can bet your butt I have a warranty now.

I would recommend those extended warranties for anyone wanting to keep a car for a while. no yearly mileage limit, no specified service center, rental coverage all for less than 100 monthly; some dealer warranties are not that good.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Kinda feel like a first world boo hoo dick posting about it but the reality is this shit could sting and jade a MFr. Bought the car 18 mos ago. Presume problem existed. On purchases this problem can largely be avoided with deeper diagnoses like bore scope. I will from now on when warranted.

Question I’m pondering is sell it or drive it into the ground?[..while treating and maintaining the engine like a gem]

Has all new brakes, suspension, exhaust tweak, and long list of mild touches. probably doing clutch now with engine out.

The estimate is bad enough, but $2,500 in sales tax? Holy crap that sucks. Does the warranty cover sales tax? Maybe have the work done in Montana or a state without sales tax?

Then drive it into the ground.

If I only would’ve bought that white F-type jag. Everything would be magical

If I only would’ve bought that white F-type jag. Everything would be magical
    Just get a Taurus. Same thing and save the money

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Just get a Taurus. Same thing and save the money
    Could never either of those. Was joke on the Harry porter jag around here. Which I’m sure is an ok car.

But yes, selling at prime state, buying lower, and saving is my motivator for the pondering...

On the other hand there are 8 cars like mine (997.2) nationally on the market right now. And only two are manual as well. Price has gone up since I’ve bought. Could be a keeper

All that and I don’t even see an undercoat refresh, what kinda fly by night operation is this?

Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    All that and I don’t even see an undercoat refresh, what kinda fly by night operation is this?

Ouch.

That TruCoat, you don't get it and you get oxidization problems.

Just a few overpriced root canals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Nice of them to include the core fee, lol

They gonna cut you a check for it, or you gonna take the core home?

Quote Originally Posted by tripice351 View Post
    Nice of them to include the core fee, lol

They gonna cut you a check for it, or you gonna take the core home?
    Haha. Seriously. What was up with that? I've never seen a shop tack that one onto the estimate before.

Personally if it was MY car, I'd do it myself. With the $$$ saved, I'd literally be able to buy a lift and all the tools necessary to do the job and still have plenty to spare. I'd imagine the AWD models are a bigger pain to work on, but at least with the standard RWD models, dropping the entire assembly really isn't that bad. Hell, since they're made to work on from below, they're literally designed with dropping the assembly in mind. Can be WAY quicker to do than many other "normal" cars in fact.

That parts list reminds me of a hospital bill.
    $23 spark plugs, probably $8 at Auto Zone.

Yes, DIY would pay for all the special tools And a new BendPac lift.

The bill does feel like from a hospital. The way the warranty works requires shop to replace for fresh manufacturer engine with all the factory Porsche part number$.
    Engine will carry 2 yr Porsche warranty. Thankfully I’m only staring at a $250 deductible for the job. I’ll probably pay to have the clutch done and considering new fuel injector heads.
    Austin if I had to face this w/o coverage I’d scramble something for sure. Props if you can wrench a flat six. One thing I’d do different if I was in control - Would send out to get sleeved at 4.0 liter with this Nickies coating similar to the Porsche GT motors. We explored working that angle but warranty company only willing to replace with factory motor.
    The shop Cantrell Motorsport is where all the rich guys go around here to make track cars go faster than their buddies. That’s not my game but these guys see a lot more engine repair work from people beating on their cars than the dealership does. In legit hands.
    Engine block ships Monday from Porsche of Atlanta. Should be back rolling in 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    Yes, DIY would pay for all the special tools And a new BendPac lift.
    Might as well sport for the Stertil-Koni.

$250 for pro job with warranty vs thousands of dollars, weeks of your life, no warranty, and TGR cred. I don’t envy the position you’re in with that decision.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post

$250 for pro job with warranty vs thousands of dollars, weeks of your life, no warranty, and TGR cred. I don’t envy the position you’re in with that decision.
    Heh.

Kinda feel like a first world boo hoo dick posting about it but the reality is this shit could sting and jade a MFr. Bought the car 18 mos ago. Presume problem existed. On purchases this problem can largely be avoided with deeper diagnoses like bore scope. I will from now on when warranted.

Question I’m pondering is sell it or drive it into the ground?[..while treating and maintaining the engine like a gem]

Has all new brakes, suspension, exhaust tweak, and long list of mild touches. probably doing clutch now with engine out.
    I would keep it with all that work done and drive it easy. New cars kinda suck as my 83 911SC was driven about 230k miles before I finally gave it away with no major work ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I've been looking a little closer at SL55s and CL's posts are making me rethink my attentions.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I've been looking a little closer at SL55s and CL's posts are making me rethink my attentions.
    Don't buy anything AMG is my advice. Our roads are too bumpy and the additional cost of maintenance parts is not worth it. I've owned Porsche's and lots of Mercedes and Porsche is a huge disappointment for reliability. Just little things going wrong with Porsche that cost a bundle.