Page 72 of 107 FirstFirst ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 2651
    Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    That parts list reminds me of a hospital bill.
    $23 spark plugs, probably $8 at Auto Zone.
    I actually wouldn't be surprised if OEM Porsche plugs cost that much, this isn't a 1998 Chevy pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Don't buy anything AMG is my advice. Our roads are too bumpy and the additional cost of maintenance parts is not worth it. I've owned Porsche's and lots of Mercedes and Porsche is a huge disappointment for reliability. Just little things going wrong with Porsche that cost a bundle.
    What I mean is I'm rethinking anything German.

Spark plugs can get stupid expensive, 23 a pop ain't shit. Gasket kit would be cleaner than an itemized list, but those are often incomplete anyway.

Extended warranty is the only way to fly with a car out of base/powertrain, esp in Deutscheland.

No extended warranty company will cover the core fee tho, the shop gets it repaid when the core is returned. They just threw it in there to make it look more scary and how great a deal you're getting, or just lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    $250 for pro job with warranty vs thousands of dollars, weeks of your life, no warranty, and TGR cred. I don’t envy the position you’re in with that decision.
    But. tGR cred and a killer car lift with tools to do it again if I needed. coin toss?
    Quote Originally Posted by mf45e0 View Post
    That sucks Luke, sorry to hear. Surprising to see a DFI engine in a 997.2 go down that way. Reinforces the whole air-cooled or GT car bias.
    This was my line of thinking on buying DFI. So far really enjoying car, minus this. I’m dentist lite so GT line will have to wait.
    But yes GT cars have the cylinder coating that as I understand has not had a failure of this nature yet. On my 9A1 engine it’s very low numbers as well according to some reading and discussion.

Related: what’s a sporty wagon for around 20? German acceptable. would warranty.

Btw have a great warranty hook with Fidelity to offer around.

Yeah, so who did you go with for the extended warranty? Apologize if it's earlier in the thread..

Porsche is a huge disappointment for reliability.

WRONG.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...d-power-2019-2

I’ve had 4 911s and 1 986 Boxster. My dad has owned 3 times that. None have given us any problems. Maintenance and upkeep are key and it shouldn’t be a surprise that fixing these things isn’t cheap - buy a Corolla if that’s your beef.

Sucks about the engine Luke, super glad you’re getting it fixed for nothing. Keep it and enjoy the hell out of it.
    I still call it The Jake.

Damn! Sorry Luke. That car is freakin gorgeous in real life. If I had to baby it after the work is done, I’d be selling it, sounds like for a profit. No way I could own that car and not rod it around. Best of luck whichever path you take.

Appreciate the condolences and advice. I may have been grazed by the snake here with Porsche but I’m with Bmills - a lot of resource info and personal accounts point to 911s and in general Porsche as high in reliability. However they are expensive to fix.

2funky I wouldn’t have to drive the car like a grandma. The engines can handle aggression. In these it’s become apparent they are very touchy about having the engine block up to temperature before heavy load. And on the newer DFI model like mine specifically it’s not good to let warm up in driveway for 5 mins. You need to get it on the road underway in mellow less than 3500 rpm driving for about 15-20 minutes. Something about being susceptible to some ‘washing term’ if set at idle in long traffic and warming in driveway.

Anyhow I’ve learned through this. You have to think about cars such as these when they sit at a car lot. Then some person comes along to test drive the performance car. It’s got a cold block and they’re trying to see if the thing is fast and cool enough to pull tail in a 15 min drive taking it through it’s paces. Not healthy.

More I think about it I’m excited to keep it. This is a pretty unique opportunity to have a fresh engine in this car. I’ll know the engine health from jump lowering my long term risk with proper care. Also my boy loves the targa and it gives us something to share into the future. And its manual with blue and black interior, right after my heart.

picked up a 95 corolla for $1200 last year 47K original miles best tank of gas 43 mpg has almost paid for itself twice
    Name:  IMG_0762.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  148.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post

More I think about it I’m excited to keep it. This is a pretty unique opportunity to have a fresh engine in this car. I’ll know the engine health from jump lowering my long term risk with proper care. Also my boy loves the targa and it gives us something to share into the future. And its manual with blue and black interior, right after my heart.
    Approved

Appreciate the condolences and advice. I may have been grazed by the snake here with Porsche but I’m with Bmills - a lot of resource info and personal accounts point to 911s and in general Porsche as high in reliability. However they are expensive to fix.

2funky I wouldn’t have to drive the car like a grandma. The engines can handle aggression. In these it’s become apparent they are very touchy about having the engine block up to temperature before heavy load. And on the newer DFI model like mine specifically it’s not good to let warm up in driveway for 5 mins. You need to get it on the road underway in mellow less than 3500 rpm driving for about 15-20 minutes. Something about being susceptible to some ‘washing term’ if set at idle in long traffic and warming in driveway.

Anyhow I’ve learned through this. You have to think about cars such as these when they sit at a car lot. Then some person comes along to test drive the performance car. It’s got a cold block and they’re trying to see if the thing is fast and cool enough to pull tail in a 15 min drive taking it through it’s paces. Not healthy.

Used 911's jumped way out of my budget about 10 years ago but all of this is great information.

Related: what’s a sporty wagon for around 20? German acceptable. would warranty.

Might be a bit old, but classy, decently sporty and solid - https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=541718766

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Might be a bit old, but classy, decently sporty and solid - https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=541718766
    Mine has been a great car. That's a premium price. No need for extended warranty on these imo. Engine and tran are bulletproof and doubt if EW covers the airmatic shocks.

So this happened. A couple years ago my 2008 AWD Ford Fusion started having a problem with the brakes, turns out it was a hydraulic valve that would stick and cause the brakes to go from power to manual with no warning. I Googled and found out lots of other people had the same problem. There was no recall, though, so I had to spend $2,000 to have it fixed at the dealer (other shops wouldn't touch it). Was kind of pissed, but when it comes to brakes you need to be safe rather than sorry, right? Especially since it's my wife's car and we are planning to give it to our teen daughter.

Then yesterday I got a letter from Ford saying they had issued a recall for this problem, and I am now going to be refunded my two grand. FKNA! Just thought I'd share the good news lol.

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    picked up a 95 corolla for $1200 last year 47K original miles best tank of gas 43 mpg has almost paid for itself twice
    Name:  IMG_0762.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  148.8 KB
    Golden era for Toyota. Nice score. I got a turbo celica. I'm not expecting as good of reliability

CL, let me know when its fixed. Ill buy it from you.

Don't buy anything AMG is my advice. Our roads are too bumpy and the additional cost of maintenance parts is not worth it. I've owned Porsche's and lots of Mercedes and Porsche is a huge disappointment for reliability. Just little things going wrong with Porsche that cost a bundle.
    Porsche makes some of the best cars on the road besides Toyota and Lexus.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post

Porsche makes some of the best cars on the road besides Toyota and Lexus.
    Ok, I believe you. I had a heartbreaker and so did a friend . For me it was an AC controller panel, a leaky roof, a cat convertor. None of which were reasonable.

She has arrived Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5098.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	1,011.8 KB 
ID:	313877

Oh my..

Oh man that’s pretty.
    I still call it The Jake.

jgb@etree Guest
    My wife drives a '15 s63 and it's been a damn good car, but they definitely aren't cheap to fix. Took it in 3 weeks ago to have the airbag recall done. They found a leak at the oil filter housing and charged $1700 to replace a $100 part. I guess that's what I deserve for having the dealer do work and giving them the thumbs up without doing my homework.

Next up is ~4k on brakes and new tires. Joy.

Live & learn.

For the record I'm still looking at SL55's. Once the kids are out of school what am I going to blow money on? Hookers? $300 a day wine habit? Fuck that.

If you’re considering SL55 try an SL600. Every bit the car but parts are a lot cheaper.

Interesting. But the 5.4 M113 is generally considered bombproof, with most headaches coming in other areas of the automobile. How does the V12 compare? I'm all ears.

She has arrived Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5098.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	1,011.8 KB 
ID:	313877
    Name:  200.gif
Views: 836
Size:  162.6 KB