Page 7 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I'm bumping this thread.

Talk me out of buying a '99 pathfinder with the 3.3 and the automatic. For cash, obviously.
    Found a pic of my beast Pathfinder in another thread while surfing today (not my exact one, but looked just like it 'cept mine had stock nerf bars and no rust)

DO IT.

I still call it The Jake.

I'll try to remember to put some pics up when we get it back.
    Last edited by iceman; 04-25-2016 at 07:06 AM.

Here's a Monday afternoon temptation. '97 Land Cruiser, 130k miles. Cherry looking. I think the asking price is about $10 grand too high (or maybe I'm wrong) but I'd be really tempted to email them an offer in the $7-8k range just to see if they'd bite.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=1461605806214

Better use of $10 grand? This high mileage LC that's nearly 20 years old or a '07 BMW 335i with 65k miles? My 335 is getting really long in the tooth and I like the e90 body so much more than the current f bodies.

Not 10 but close Im looking at DD to replace my SmogWagon. Should these things run for like 300k?

007 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E63 AMG 4dr Sedan 7 Speed Automatic Transmission Blue 132043 MILES 507 Horsepower 6.2L V8
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Here's a Monday afternoon temptation. '97 Land Cruiser, 130k miles. Cherry looking. I think the asking price is about $10 grand too high (or maybe I'm wrong) but I'd be really tempted to email them an offer in the $7-8k range just to see if they'd bite.

Better use of $10 grand? This high mileage LC that's nearly 20 years old or a '07 BMW 335i with 65k miles? My 335 is getting really long in the tooth and I like the e90 body so much more than the current f bodies.
    Considering that I bought a 2006 Sequoia Limited with 130k miles for $12k 15 months ago, I think that price is a wee bit steep.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Those 80 Series LCs and LX450s are a different animal. They bring big money. Well... Bigger than most would expect.

That dealer seems to have quite a few in stock. I doubt they will be low balled.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    Not 10 but close Im looking at DD to replace my SmogWagon. Should these things run for like 300k?

007 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E63 AMG 4dr Sedan 7 Speed Automatic Transmission Blue 132043 MILES 507 Horsepower 6.2L V8
    I seem to recall seeing those and similar for at least 5k less than that guy's asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post

Don't by anything AMG unless it's just wheels and trim. AMG suspension is bone stiff and the cost of maintenance and repair is crazy. The AMG engines are known to blow a lot of oil. I've driven several: C43, E55, S63, CL63 and have always preferred the regular version.

Just wading through the MercedesSource youtube series on buying a 10-15 year old Mercedes. So far nothing groundbreaking, but interesting anyway...

Edit: never mind... this guy's just rambling. Nothing unique about looking for an MB. All common sense used car buying stuff, delivered using as many words as possible.
    Last edited by stfu&gbtw; 04-26-2016 at 10:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

thanks B, the thought did pop in my mind! Put in a new shifter tonight off a newer model, big improvement. If that solution thing needs to be installed I'll go for Bellevue & get in touch .

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Don't by anything AMG unless it's just wheels and trim. AMG suspension is bone stiff and the cost of maintenance and repair is crazy. The AMG engines are known to blow a lot of oil. I've driven several: C43, E55, S63, CL63 and have always preferred the regular version.
    +1. Engine light comes on, and the shit is basically totaled.

I'd stick to Japanese luxury.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

took the restrictor plate off the grey dragon today, it absolutely howls with high rpm wide open throttle, quiet when low throttle even at high rpms though.

note: permanent ims solution going to be installed hopefully this month. a couple mortgage payments of preventative maintenance. This gives a good shot of running a long life before a rebuild.

Oooooh, tell me what you did there. I doubt we'll do anything to the family 996 cab to make it anything more than a beach car but I want to hear all about this. What's the end result? Tell me about your IMS fix too if you don't mind.

just the popular 996/997 intake. Same intake in this video though mine is a 3.6L vs video's 3.8L with a plenum. Same wail though. Removed airbox, adjusted air pump location to accommodate heat shield for new intake inlet/filters. Then put on the new inlet with split into two filters. The unit is cf so it doesn't come off as cheap or a hack.

On the IMS I got a full PPI at the downtown dealership. Good report there and they quoted $2800 for an IMS retrofit with a ceramic bearing. The part they sell is developed by a guy that has a newer design that eliminates the moving ball bearings altogether - eliminating the risk of the IMS failing and blowing it up (several other ways to lose an engine still). The ceramic bearing on retrofits has failed before so I'd rather do it right, once. It's 700 more and you have to do it at one of 12 or so shops around the country that are certified to install it. Maybe long term I'll have him do the eventual rebuild and make it better than original.

site for the permanent retrofit http://theimssolution.com/

certified shops http://theimssolution.com/certified-installers/

Decided on this after reading Rennlist & some other forums. I'll give you an update after it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    the 63s and e55 if post 9/11 those amgs weren't handbuilt in germany
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    just the popular 996/997 intake. Same intake in this video though mine is a 3.6L vs video's 3.8L with a plenum. Same wail though. Removed airbox, adjusted air pump location to accommodate heat shield for new intake inlet/filters. Then put on the new inlet with split into two filters. The unit is cf so it doesn't come off as cheap or a hack.

On the IMS I got a full PPI at the downtown dealership. Good report there and they quoted $2800 for an IMS retrofit with a ceramic bearing. The part they sell is developed by a guy that has a newer design that eliminates the moving ball bearings altogether - eliminating the risk of the IMS failing and blowing it up (several other ways to lose an engine still). The ceramic bearing on retrofits has failed before so I'd rather do it right, once. It's 700 more and you have to do it at one of 12 or so shops around the country that are certified to install it. Maybe long term I'll have him do the eventual rebuild and make it better than original.

site for the permanent retrofit http://theimssolution.com/

certified shops http://theimssolution.com/certified-installers/

Decided on this after reading Rennlist & some other forums. I'll give you an update after it's done.
    Thanks man, I appreciate the response and I'll be following along to your progress for sure.

What's all this about buying a 10-year-old carp?

Ice, whatever you do get it inspected by a reputable fishmonger and learn to recognize the telltale signs of herpes before plunking down your hard-earned cash.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Ice, whatever you do get it inspected by a reputable fishmonger and learn to recognize the telltale signs of herpes before plunking down your hard-earned cash.
    I thought carp was only $1/lb. How hard earned can that be?

Thanks man, I appreciate the response and I'll be following along to your progress for sure.
    Got my appointment set in Glenwood Springs later this month. Gonna have to raid the dispensaries and drive around the passes with the gf & pup

That guy that pioneered the 996/7 ims fix is based in Cleveland, GA fyi. Jake Raby.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    Got my appointment set in Glenwood Springs later this month. Gonna have to raid the dispensaries and drive around the passes with the gf & pup

That guy that pioneered the 996/7 ims fix is based in Cleveland, GA fyi. Jake Raby.
    No shit!? I got an old high school buddy up the road in Cleveland, GA. This could be a 2fer! I'll be seeing the fam 996 (she's on permanent sabbatical in HHI these days) soon. She's got less than 25k miles on her and I think in my head that I've been saying "I don't need to worry about IMS because of that" but from all my reading there's no rhyme or reason to when it can fail if it does. I'd hate to lose this one.

Thanks again man, keep the updates coming and I'll see what I can find in the N GA foothills.

ETA: can't wait to hear that new engine note of yours with the new intake.

I'm happy with my 16 year old daily driver. But my daily drive isn't far unless I want it to be.

IMG0944.jpg
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

I recently borrowed a wrangler for a day or two.

I wasn't prepared for all the two finger waves.

Fun car

I drive past 1-3 Jeeps per mile on the way to the market. The wave gets old. I got it with the seemingly obligatory old person fun car color - Red. It is fun. And 100% rust free!!
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Some people just have no concept of what their car is worth. Unless there is something that you really love about a 10 year old vehicle, if the price is anywhere way over the values for Kelly Blue Book or Edmunds car values, then just pass on by and forget even trying to offer up what you feel the vehicle is worth. Most sellers that price something that high will not negotiate and sit on the vehicle for a long time trying to sell it.
    Last edited by RShea; 05-06-2016 at 02:51 PM.