Page 75 of 107 FirstFirst ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 2651
    Voice of reason: unless this is truly a play vehicle, throwaway money - to buy a 15-year old Range Rover and expect anything other than a frequently breaking down money pit is unrealistic. If you need it to function to get you to work, don't do it.

From gravity's posts about repairing the Dodge, it doesn't sound like there's a fleet of backup vehicles available for when the Range Rover doesn't work. OTOH if you're basinbeater and have a dozen extra cars, and don't mind lighting money on fire, go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Voice of reason: unless this is truly a play vehicle, throwaway money - to buy a 15-year old Range Rover and expect anything other than a frequently breaking down money pit is unrealistic. If you need it to function to get you to work, don't do it.

From gravity's posts about repairing the Dodge, it doesn't sound like there's a fleet of backup vehicles available for when the Range Rover doesn't work. OTOH if you're basinbeater and have a dozen extra cars, and don't mind lighting money on fire, go for it.
    ^^^^This, most definitely. I forgot to add the caveat that under no circumstances should this be a daily, dependable driver. I just assumed it was a project toy.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    ^^^^This, most definitely. I forgot to add the caveat that under no circumstances should this be a daily, dependable driver. I just assumed it was a project toy.
    Haha. Agreed. I was making the same assumption as well.

Caveat #2: Work on it yourself. Good Rover shop work won't come cheap so hope you're willing to dive underneath your hood. Working on my own cars is the only way the math works for my aging Euro cars. Then they're not so bad. Unless you have some bullshit that HAS to be VIN programmed by the dealer like I'm dealing with on one particular part on my Volvo dammit. Still holding off on that one. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

I should also state that wasn't intended to be a dig at basinbeater - just using him as an example of someone who's got some vehicle backup options if he needs it.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

This summer, I picked up my brother's 2006 4Runner V8 Limited. He was the second owner and it had 218,000 miles on it. Runs like a top.

After getting it home from southern California, a new serpentine belt, A/C recharge, oil change, radiator flush, tires, lift, brakes (rotors, pads, and calipers, and a CarPlay deck all went in. And despite a shop trying to polish and deglaze the headlights, it's a bithin' rig. I'm stoked on it.

Next, I think I'll replace the headlights with some fresh new OEM units and perform the 4wd service (diffs and transfer case).

The V8 is so much more torquier than I remember and it still has some get-up. It's a nice, and tiddly little vehicle; a perfect run-about town car. And now, I can throw the Thule box on top and it will be my ski rig, relegating my diesel dude-bro truck to hauling motorcycles and the camper. I'm really quite pleased with it all.

The best part is that depste the price I paid for it and all the mechanical work, I could still probably sell it for $15k tomorrow. Crazy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ssDX4Um.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	529.8 KB 
ID:	342912

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	md041zf.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	405.2 KB 
ID:	342913

The 4th Gen V8 full-time 4WD 4Runner is the best 4Runner. Very nice vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    This summer, I picked up my brother's 2006 4Runner V8 Limited. He was the second owner and it had 218,000 miles on it. Runs like a top.

After getting it home from southern California, a new serpentine belt, A/C recharge, oil change, radiator flush, tires, lift, brakes (rotors, pads, and calipers, and a CarPlay deck all went in. And despite a shop trying to polish and deglaze the headlights, it's a bithin' rig. I'm stoked on it.

Next, I think I'll replace the headlights with some fresh new OEM units and perform the 4wd service (diffs and transfer case).

The V8 is so much more torquier than I remember and it still has some get-up. It's a nice, and tiddly little vehicle; a perfect run-about town car. And now, I can throw the Thule box on top and it will be my ski rig, relegating my diesel dude-bro truck to hauling motorcycles and the camper. I'm really quite pleased with it all.

The best part is that depste the price I paid for it and all the mechanical work, I could still probably sell it for $15k tomorrow. Crazy.
    Looks good! Consider slapping those clear bras on your new headlights when you get them. I just bought an '06 Sienna that have had them on since mile 0 and they're as clear as brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    The 4th Gen V8 full-time 4WD 4Runner is the best 4Runner. Very nice vehicle.
    Agreed. Only the basic electronics to keep the rubber side down, all the creature comforts one could need, and Toyota build quality. I'm amazed at how tight and well-constructed this thing is with this many miles. And above all; it's the right size. It's not some fucking massive, hard-to-see-out-of, bloatzilla SUV.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Looks good! Consider slapping those clear bras on your new headlights when you get them. I just bought an '06 Sienna that have had them on since mile 0 and they're as clear as brand new.
    Oh, nice. Great idea! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    So I'm going to look at a truck in the morning and not only is it 15 years old but it's a Range Rover Supercharged. It sounds like I'm setting myself up for a perfect storm kinda disaster doesn't it? It's ok though because the shop I'm going to see it at is owned by a fellow padded room denizen so I won't be making this bad decision without proper guidance.

I mean really, how bad could it be? I was under the impression that when Ford owned Land Rover they had chased that Lucas-Prince of Darkness guy out of the picture. The other thing is since it's selling for less than a 15 year old Sonata how badly could it hurt?
    My brother in law used to sell range rovers. He said if he didn't get free service on his because he ran the dealership, there is no way in hell he would drive one. They are pieces of shit. Nice pieces of shit, but pieces of shit. Burn your money instead, at least you will get a few minutes of warmth that way. One one particular model, we were talking about what the common problems were, and his response was engine. Ok, so like any particular system? Yeah, the whole engine.

I like old european vehicles. I like wrenching on vehicles. I won't go near a range rover product.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

I think they get an undeserved bad rap. I have one with 250,000 miles on it as the result of weekly trips to VT. The engine and trans are fucking fabulous and it rides like a champ as long as you replace yer bushings regularly. Never one issue with those systems though I did have to replace the air compressor back at 120K. But the electronics can be maddening...though it fixes itself sometimes. I think the Brits have this love affair with electronic gadgetry which combined with an inborn lack of understanding of how electronic circuits work, works against them. My onboard refrigerator doesn't work, as well as the heated windshield but those things are really not necessary anyway.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I think they get an undeserved bad rap. I have one with 250,000 miles on it as the result of weekly trips to VT. The engine and trans are fucking fabulous and it rides like a champ as long as you replace yer bushings regularly. Never one issue with those systems though I did have to replace the air compressor back at 120K. But the electronics can be maddening...though it fixes itself sometimes. I think the Brits have this love affair with electronic gadgetry which combined with an inborn lack of understanding of how electronic circuits work, works against them. My onboard refrigerator doesn't work, as well as the heated windshield but those things are really not necessary anyway.
    Have you checked to see if the onboard refrigerator can be used as a toaster oven and the windshield to chill things?

Yes. One learns to adapt to the new nuances. With the onboard fridge repurposed as a warming oven, I'm able to retrieve a still warm croissant purchased from my favorite boulangerie 300 miles prior as I take a spirited drive up Rt 7, all the while carefully avoiding the traps set by the Bennington police.

I see tons of Range Rovers for sale cheap around me, but I have too much of an ingrained belief that they will lose a wheel at speed while simultaneously ejecting the middle row and starting a fire via the radio to ever buy one.

Somehow, I don't have the same belief about LR3s/LR4s, so I stalk them from time to time.

I'm not sure if those have fridges.

@Tridge yeah I was going to see if you wanted to come look at it with me, it's in your area, I figured you'd have something to say but I didn't know when and stuff. Anyway, I pretty much committed and it does need to be a daily for the next 6-10 months but it will be the third car in the driveway. It will spend some time on the road because I'm a rep and do some big mile days, it will also get slept in when I'm working because motels and covid are a bad combo. My wife will be getting something new pretty soon so we'll have 2 I dont have to be concerned about and this then hopefully next summer I'll get something newer and more efficient and this turns into the extra.

Overall because of what I'd have into it after dialing it in if I got a year out of it I'd be disappointed but only sort of, if I got 2 I'd consider it breaking even and a third year would be bonus time. Y'all are gonna get to hear all about my "job anxiety" more often though as I hope to do more of my own work because it's not rusty at all

I'm not sure if those have fridges.
    Soup warmers?
    I still call it The Jake.

I'd be happy to but I don't have a lift . See if you can get it on a lift for a check. If the car is around N NJ there's a guy I just met in Hawthorne that specializes in LR's and Jags, I've been meaning to give him a try next time I need something unique fixed as a few guys I know have recommended him. Mario Marota--Marota Motors 973-304-1860. I think it's worth having someone like him put it on the lift and give it a once over.

On your own check every switch and also that the air suspension goes up and down fairly quickly. Focus on electrical problems as I think the drivetrain and rest of it is pretty hardy. I had way more problems with BMW's I've owned than this thing.

A ski bud had a Rover with the diesel engine and steering wheel on the wrong side, as he pointed out " its a Small town so I can just walk 6 blks to work, there are lots of parts readily available on the internet from Austrailia " cuz it didnt really matter if it ran it ended up being a bit of a garage queen, he fucked around that for a bit sold it, bought a new Tacoma
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'd be happy to but I don't have a lift . See if you can get it on a lift for a check. If the car is around N NJ there's a guy I just met in Hawthorne that specializes in LR's and Jags, I've been meaning to give him a try next time I need something unique fixed as a few guys I know have recommended him. Mario Marota--Marota Motors 973-304-1860. I think it's worth having someone like him put it on the lift and give it a once over.

On your own check every switch and also that the air suspension goes up and down fairly quickly. Focus on electrical problems as I think the drivetrain and rest of it is pretty hardy. I had way more problems with BMW's I've owned than this thing.
    It's at a fellow maggots shop in NNJ so I'll get under it in a few days when he has more time and he knows his way around these well enough but it will go to a LR shop after I get it if I find things I don't know about. Do you have an IID tool? I want to plug it in and see what that says, they're way more comprehensive than an OBDII reader, and I'm not ready to drop $600 on one yet. I went through the basic checklist this afternoon and it seemed ok with a couple of glitches that will get worked out before I roll with it. Yup the mechanicals seem pretty straightforward and mostly tough bits and pieces. You mention BMW, that could be a thing because the motor is a BMW unit but it sounds fkn mean when you stomp on it so because it sounds good it should be fine. Right? lol

Loud = mean.

Call it good on the sound alone.
    I still call it The Jake.

Next, I think I'll replace the headlights with some fresh new OEM units...
    Nice. FWIW, Rockauto has the OEM headlamp assemblies for your ride for only around $80 each!!! Personally I went with the TYC units from RockAuto for my Volvo and comparing them side by side they are 100% indistinguishable. I then bought some TYC assemblies for my mom's old Lexus and they were equally identical to the factory units.
    At this price, yeah, just swap 'em for some clear new "glass." Super worth it.
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...assembly,10762

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Nice. FWIW, Rockauto has the OEM headlamp assemblies for your ride for only around $80 each!!! Personally I went with the TYC units from RockAuto for my Volvo and comparing them side by side they are 100% indistinguishable. I then bought some TYC assemblies for my mom's old Lexus and they were equally identical to the factory units.
    At this price, yeah, just swap 'em for some clear new "glass." Super worth it.
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...assembly,10762
    Good to know about those brands. I'm always leery that some of those post-OEM parts aren't quite up to Toyota spec. Thanks for the tip.

Good to know about those brands. I'm always leery that some of those post-OEM parts aren't quite up to Toyota spec. Thanks for the tip.
    Definitely! Just do some research on the brand and you'll see they're pretty well regarded. The go-to for many body shops. Mine were made in Taiwan. Nice they're not Chinese made. Well over a year into my Volvo units and they're still good as new so I think I'm in the clear at this point. Like 1/4 the price of dealer too. Haha.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Loud = mean.

Call it good on the sound alone.
    Heh it does sound mean, enough so that I'm gonna get some pretty crappy mpg's for a while because I'm gonna have a hard time keeping my foot out of it so I can listen to it more often. Well, that and the supercharger, it's a heckuva thing to have a truck that size put you back in the seat...

Goin' down the service video rabbit hole tonight, there's all sortsa good info out there.